Trajectory of a projectile from a cliff

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile being shot from a cliff with an initial speed and angle. The questions involve determining the time taken for the projectile to hit a point on the ground, the distance of that point from the base of the cliff, the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity at the instant before hitting the point, the angle of the velocity vector with the horizontal, and the maximum height reached by the projectile. The conversation also mentions a need for equations and direction of gravity and other forces acting on the projectile.
Kris1120

Homework Statement

A projectile is shot from the edge of a cliff 115 m above ground level with an initial speed of 65.0 m/s at an angle of 35.0 degrees with the horizontal.
A. Determine the time taken by the projectile to hit point P at ground level.
B. Determine the distance X of point P from the base of the vertical cliff.
C.At the instant just before the projectile hits point P, determine the horizontal and the vertical components of its velocity.
D. At the instant just before the projectile hits point P, determine the angle made by the velocity vector with the horizontal.
E. Find the maximum height above the cliff top reached by the projectile.

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got t= 9.96 s for A which was right and I got delta x= 531 m for B which was right. I am stuck at C. I can't even find an equation to use in my book or in my notes. Someone please point me in the right direction!

Physics news on Phys.org

which direction does gravity act? is there any forces assumed in this example that would cause a horizontal acceleration?

Related to Trajectory of a projectile from a cliff

1. How does the angle of projection affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of projection plays a significant role in determining the trajectory of a projectile. If the angle is too low, the projectile will not travel very far and will hit the ground quickly. On the other hand, if the angle is too high, the projectile will travel a longer distance but will also take longer to reach the ground.

2. What factors influence the trajectory of a projectile from a cliff?

The trajectory of a projectile from a cliff is influenced by several factors, including the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity. These factors work together to determine the path that the projectile will take.

3. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can have a significant impact on the trajectory of a projectile. It works against the projectile's motion, slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its intended path. The magnitude of air resistance depends on the projectile's size, shape, and speed.

4. Can a projectile's trajectory from a cliff be affected by wind?

Yes, wind can affect the trajectory of a projectile from a cliff. If the wind is blowing in the same direction as the projectile's motion, it will increase its speed and distance. However, if the wind is blowing in the opposite direction, it will slow down the projectile and cause it to fall short of its expected trajectory.

5. How can we calculate the trajectory of a projectile from a cliff?

The trajectory of a projectile from a cliff can be calculated using mathematical equations and principles, such as the laws of motion and trigonometry. These calculations take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and gravity to determine the projectile's path and final landing point.