The equivalence of a set and its permutations.

In summary, the conversation discusses the introduction of subsets ##\mathfrak{Q}\subseteq \mathfrak{R}## and ##\mathfrak{K}\subseteq \mathfrak{S}^{\mathfrak{R}}##, and their relation to the properties of mappings ##\sigma##. The author also introduces the concept of a "space" and its elements, as well as the set of permutations on this space. The three properties of ##\sigma## are then summarized as closure, one-to-one, and onto. The introduction of the notation ##\mathfrak{Q}\mathfrak{R}## leads to the conclusion that ##\sigma## is a mapping onto ##\
Odious Suspect
The following is from an introduction to groups. It is not clear to me why the authors bothered to introduce the subset ##\mathfrak{Q}\subseteq \mathfrak{R}## and a subset ##\mathfrak{K}\subseteq \mathfrak{S}^{\mathfrak{R}}## into the discussion. (3) seems to follow trivially from the one-to-one and onto properties of ##\sigma##. Am I missing something here?

"Let ##\mathfrak{R}## be a set, which we shall now call a space in order to distinguish it from other sets to be considered later; and correspondingly, its elements ##P,Q,R,\ldots## will be called points. Let ##\mathfrak{S}^{\mathfrak{R}}## be the set of permutations on ##\mathfrak{R}## : that is, the set of one-to-one mappings of ##\mathfrak{R}## onto itself. If ##\sigma \in \mathfrak{S}^{\mathfrak{R}}## we denote by ##P\sigma## the image of the point ##P\in \mathfrak{R}## under the mapping ##\sigma##. Then ##\sigma## has the following properties:$$\text{(1)} P\sigma \in \mathfrak{R} \text{ for all } P\in \mathfrak{R}$$

$$\text{(2)} P_1\sigma =P_2\sigma \text{ implies } P_1=P_2 $$

More generally, if for a subset ##\mathfrak{Q}\subseteq \mathfrak{R}## and a subset ##\mathfrak{K}\subseteq \mathfrak{S}^{\mathfrak{R}}## we denote by ##\mathfrak{Q}\mathfrak{R}## the set of elements ## P\sigma, P\in \mathfrak{Q}, \sigma \in \mathfrak{K}## then the fact that ##\sigma## is a mapping onto ##\mathfrak{R}## is equivalent to

$$\text{(3)} \mathfrak{R}\sigma =\mathfrak{R}\text{.}$$"There is a footnote as follows: "No distinction is made here between an element and the set containing it as the sole member. Thus ##\sigma## in (3) in fact represents {##\sigma##}, the set consisting only of ##\sigma##."

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you're missing anything. It is, as you say, a trivial consequence.

(1) is closure or into, (2) one-to-one or injective and (3) onto or surjective. I think the author only wanted to introduce his notations and summarize what "one-to-one onto" means.

fresh_42 said:
(1) is closure or into, (2) one-to-one or injective and (3) onto or surjective. I think the author only wanted to introduce his notations and summarize what "one-to-one onto" means.

Indeed. Before introducing ##\mathfrak{Q}\mathfrak{R}##, I didn't have permission to write (3). I also now realize that the "space" being introduced is not the set forming the group being exhibited. That set is ##\mathfrak{S}^{\mathfrak{R}}##, and the operation is the product of permutations.

My source is: https://mitpress.mit.edu/books/fundamentals-mathematics-0 Volume 1. IIRC, their definitions for some of the structures in modern algebra are non-standard. It's sure no page-turner.

Related to The equivalence of a set and its permutations.

1. What is the equivalence of a set and its permutations?

The equivalence of a set and its permutations refers to the fact that the number of elements in a set is equal to the number of ways those elements can be ordered or arranged. In other words, the number of permutations of a set is the same as the number of elements in the set.

2. How is the equivalence of a set and its permutations useful in mathematics?

The equivalence of a set and its permutations is useful in various mathematical concepts, such as counting, probability, and algebra. It helps in determining the number of possible outcomes in a given scenario and also plays a significant role in combinatorics and group theory.

3. Can you give an example of the equivalence of a set and its permutations?

Sure, consider a set of three distinct objects A, B, and C. The set has three elements, and the number of permutations of these elements is also three, which can be written as ABC, ACB, and BAC. Thus, the number of elements in the set is equal to the number of ways the elements can be arranged.

4. How does the concept of equivalence of a set and its permutations relate to the concept of factorial?

The concept of factorial is closely related to the equivalence of a set and its permutations. In fact, the number of permutations of a set with n elements is equal to n!, which is read as "n factorial." This is because the number of ways n elements can be arranged is equal to the product of all the numbers from 1 to n.

5. Is the equivalence of a set and its permutations applicable to infinite sets?

Yes, the equivalence of a set and its permutations is applicable to infinite sets as well. In this case, the number of elements in a set is equal to the number of ways the elements can be arranged, which can be infinite. However, in most practical scenarios, we deal with finite sets, and the concept is more commonly used in these cases.