The Earth's magnetic field and moon

In summary: Cause any kind of current if I where to touch a wire to the moon? Well, even throw I drop out of high school( hence my user name) after my 4 year and only a 1 and 1/2 points short of graduating. I have pushed myself to keep learning about the world around me. Yes I'm some what familiar with the law and if I need to refresh my brain I can look that up for myself.The magnetotail is part of the Earth's magnetic field. ANY magnetic field is capable of creating some electric current if you move a closed loop of wire through it. The question really should be "would the current in this case be big enough to be measurable with current technology".
hsdrop
Does the moon pass through the Earth's magnetic field??
If so how strong would the field be??
Would it be strong enough to possibly generate a current throw some kind of conductor??
And always thank you for anyone that take the time to answer my questions.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
hsdrop said:
Does the moon pass through the Earth's magnetic field??
If so how strong would the field be??
Would it be strong enough to possibly generate a current throw some kind of conductor??
And always thank you for anyone that take the time to answer my questions.
Have you done any research on this? If so, what have you found?

Very little simply because for me with my reading disability it becomes very difficult to get through anything that is tiped out. Almost always have to have the computer read everything to me. Most of the time I have to go throw the material 2-3 time before I understanding what it is trying to get across. Please do not think of me as unintelligent in anyway. This is why I have a tendency to ask questions on the forums then look into what is being described to me. I also like to ask questions to "someone" and not "something".
phinds said:
Have you done any research on this? If so, what have you found?
When someone asks this are they trying to discourage wandering minds from asking questions ?
what I have found was the moon enters the magnetotail three days before it is full and takes about six days to cross and exit on the other side. Other than that I do not know the answers to the rest of my questions.

Likes Nik_2213
hsdrop said:
Very little simply because for me with my reading disability it becomes very difficult to get through anything that is tiped out. Almost always have to have the computer read everything to me. Most of the time I have to go throw the material 2-3 time before I understanding what it is trying to get across. Please do not think of me as unintelligent in anyway. This is why I have a tendency to ask questions on the forums then look into what is being described to me. I also like to ask questions to "someone" and not "something".

When someone asks this are they trying to discourage wandering minds from asking questions ?
what I have found was the moon enters the magnetotail three days before it is full and takes about six days to cross and exit on the other side. Other than that I do not know the answers to the rest of my questions.
Sorry about your disability -- that must make learning pretty hard.

And no, phinds was just asking what you had done so far. Also, what is your background? Are you familiar with Faraday's Law of Induction? That is part of what you would use to figure this out.

hsdrop said:
No. This forum is more about helping people FIND answers than it is about GIVING answers. There are many forums on the internet that are of the Q&A type (ask a question, get an answer) but this is not one of them, at least when it comes to questions for which something like a trivial Google search will turn up considerable information.

The magnetotail is part of the Earth's magnetic field. ANY magnetic field is capable of creating some electric current if you move a closed loop of wire through it. The question really should be "would the current in this case be big enough to be measurable with current technology". I don't know the answer to that question.

berkeman said:
Sorry about your disability -- that must make learning pretty hard.

And no, phinds was just asking what you had done so far. Also, what is your background? Are you familiar with Faraday's Law of Induction? That is part of what you would use to figure this out.

Well, even throw I drop out of high school( hence my user name) after my 4 year and only a 1 and 1/2 points short of graduating. I have pushed myself to keep learning about the world around me. Yes I'm some what familiar with the law and if I need to refresh my brain I can look that up for myself. The whole idea behind my questions was... Would it be possible or plausible to have the Earth magnetosphere generate electricity on the moon for a moon base?

P.S. I'm sorry I got so defensive.

Last edited:
hsdrop said:
...Would it be possible or plausible to have the Earth magnetosphere generate electricity on the moon for a moon base?
Even here on Earth, it would not be possible to use the the magnetosphere to generate significant electricity. If it were, we would likely already be doing it. On the moon, as I suggested previously, it might be too small to even measure.

phinds said:
Even here on Earth, it would not be possible to use the the magnetosphere to generate significant electricity. If it were, we would likely already be doing it. On the moon, as I suggested previously, it might be too small to even measure.
Thank you for taking the time to answer my queries on the subject :cool:

No one seems to have mentioned that work has been done on a small scale version of this. It's called a Space Tether and involves two satellites, tethered together by a long (hundreds of metres or more). As they orbit through the Earth's magnetic field, a current is generated. Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of success so far and there have been a number of failures. But Google "Space Tethers' to find something that could be interesting for you.

Likes hsdrop
sophiecentaur said:
No one seems to have mentioned that work has been done on a small scale version of this. It's called a Space Tether and involves two satellites, tethered together by a long (hundreds of metres or more). As they orbit through the Earth's magnetic field, a current is generated. Unfortunately there hasn't been a lot of success so far and there have been a number of failures. But Google "Space Tethers' to find something that could be interesting for you.
Thank you for the info i'll look into it

As a warning device, a 'flip magnetometer' would serve, literally a pivoted coil plus indicator. Getting more than nano-power from the sweep of Earth's magneto-tail, even wiggled by solar storms, seems improbable. IIRC, even miles-long mass-drivers would not need to worry about induced currents.

Neat notion, though ! Good to see some-one thinking 'Outside the Box' !

Likes hsdrop

Related to The Earth's magnetic field and moon

1. What is the Earth's magnetic field?

The Earth's magnetic field is a force field created by the movement of molten iron in the Earth's outer core. This field acts like a giant magnet, with a north and south pole, and protects our planet from harmful solar radiation.

2. How does the Earth's magnetic field affect the moon?

The Earth's magnetic field has a small but measurable effect on the moon. It causes the moon's surface to have a slight magnetic field, which can be detected by specialized instruments. However, this is much weaker than the Earth's magnetic field and does not provide the same level of protection.

3. How does the moon affect the Earth's magnetic field?

The moon's gravitational pull does not have a direct effect on the Earth's magnetic field. However, the moon's position and movement can have minor effects on the Earth's tides, which in turn can affect the Earth's magnetic field.

4. Can the Earth's magnetic field change over time?

Yes, the Earth's magnetic field is constantly changing and has reversed its polarity (north and south poles switch) multiple times in the past. However, these changes occur over thousands of years and are not noticeable to us.

5. How does the Earth's magnetic field protect us from solar radiation?

The Earth's magnetic field acts as a shield, deflecting and trapping charged particles from the sun that would otherwise harm life on Earth. This is especially important for protecting our atmosphere and preventing the loss of important gases, such as oxygen.