System of differential equations - a big problem solving it

In summary, the person is asking for help with solving a system of differential equations. They state that it can be easily decoupled obtaining a 4-th order ODE in one of the coordinates. They also state that there is no need to get into a 4th order ODE. The person provides a summary of the equations and the methods used to solve them.
ILens
Hi!

I have a serious problem solving the following system of differential equations:

[tex]
m_1\ddot{x_1}=-k_1x_1-k(x_1-x_2)
[/tex]

[tex]
m_2\ddot{x_2}=-k_2x_2-k(x_2-x_1)
[/tex]

Does anybody have an idea how to solve it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It can be easily decoupled obtaing a 4-th order ODE in one of the coordinates.Which can be solved.

Thank you, but you told me something that I already know. I have problems deriving these equations. Would you mind being more explicit in your answer.

From the first equation express x2 as a function of x1 and its second derivatives and puti it in the second equation.You'll get the 4-th order LODE.Make simplifications assuming the masses are the same.in that case,formulas will get smaller in size.

Thanks for your answer.

You have just confirmed that the solution I have derived is correct :smile: :smile: :smile:

The equations can be solved by two methods, set both [tex] x_{1} [/tex] and [tex] x_{2} [/tex] equal to complex exponentials with different constant coefficients then plug away, you'll get an algebraic set of equations to solve, the other way is to take sums and differences of them and use another coordinate system like [tex] y_{i} = x_{1} \pm x_{2} [/tex] and work thru using the method in the first part of this reply.

There is no need to get into a 4th order ODE.

Laplace Transforms, anyone? :-)

Let [tex] x_{i} = a_{i}e^{i\omega t} [/tex], substitute and get the following equations

[tex] -a_{1}m_{1}\omega^{2} = -a_{1}k_{1} - k(a_{1} - a_{2}) [/tex]

[tex] -a_{2}m_{2}\omega^{2} = -a_{2}k_{2} - k(a_{2} - a_{1}) [/tex]

Solve this set of equations for [tex] \omega [/tex] the use the boundary and initial conditions to obtain the [tex] a_{1} [/tex] and [tex] a_{2} [/tex]. This is a complicated set of equations because of the 3 distinct spring constants. at first glance it was exactly solvable almost trivial, but 3 constants makes it an order of magnitude more difficult.

Last edited:

Related to System of differential equations - a big problem solving it

1. What is a system of differential equations?

A system of differential equations is a set of equations that describe the relationship between a set of variables and their respective derivatives. These equations are used to model dynamic systems that involve rates of change, such as population growth or chemical reactions.

2. Why is solving a system of differential equations considered a big problem?

Solving a system of differential equations can be a challenging problem because it often involves finding a solution that satisfies multiple equations simultaneously. This can require advanced mathematical techniques and can be computationally intensive.

3. What are some common methods used to solve a system of differential equations?

Some common methods for solving a system of differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method.

4. Can all systems of differential equations be solved analytically?

No, not all systems of differential equations have analytical solutions. In fact, many real-world systems are too complex to be solved analytically and require numerical methods to find approximate solutions.

5. What are some practical applications of solving systems of differential equations?

Solving systems of differential equations has many practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, biology, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the motion of objects, predict the behavior of chemical reactions, or analyze the spread of diseases.