Symbolic Expression for Speed of Draining a Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment measuring the height of water in a tank over time, resulting in a curve similar to that of the e^(-kx) graph. The speaker is asked to suggest an expression for the speed at which the water level falls, and to use a simple technique to determine the average discharge velocity and head of water. Torricelli's law is mentioned as a way to calculate the discharge velocity, and using numeric data to calculate the arithmetic mean of u is suggested for determining the average discharge velocity. It is unclear what is meant by the average head of water.
cruckshank
Hi, I've completed an experiment in which I measured the height of the water in the tank with time. I plotted my results on graph paper as a graph of height against time, resulting in a curve of decreasing gradient, slightly resembling that of the e^(-kx) graph.

1) I am asked to symbolically suggest an expression for the speed at which the water level falls.

2) Additionally I am asked to use a simple technique to determine the average discharge velocity, u(t), and head of water h(t).

Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to PF!

1) Try solving the following differential equation, which is an unsteady state mass balance on the tank (works for rectangular or cylindrical tanks)
[tex]A_b \frac{dh}{dt} = - A_o c \sqrt{2gh}[/tex]
Where h is the height of water in the tank, Ab is the area of the tank and Ao is the area of the orifice from which the water drains, c is called the discharge coefficient (usually 0.62 for this kind of systems), and g is the acceleration of gravity. The discharge velocity in this case, according to Torricelli's law is [itex]u=c\sqrt{2gh}[/itex].

2) For this case I would just use the numeric data to calculate the arithmetic mean of u using Torricelli's law. It is not clear to me what does the problem ask with average head of water.

Related to Symbolic Expression for Speed of Draining a Tank

What is the symbolic expression for speed of draining a tank?

The symbolic expression for speed of draining a tank is represented by the variable v, with units of volume per time (e.g. liters per minute or gallons per hour).

How is the speed of draining a tank calculated?

The speed of draining a tank can be calculated by dividing the change in volume of the tank by the change in time, represented as v = ΔV/Δt.

What factors can affect the speed of draining a tank?

The speed of draining a tank can be affected by factors such as the size and shape of the tank, the viscosity of the liquid being drained, and any external forces acting on the tank (e.g. gravity or pressure).

Can the speed of draining a tank be constant?

Yes, the speed of draining a tank can be constant if the rate of change of volume over time remains the same throughout the draining process. However, it is more common for the speed to change as the tank empties due to factors such as decreasing pressure or changing viscosity of the liquid.

How can the symbolic expression for speed of draining a tank be used in real-world applications?

The symbolic expression for speed of draining a tank can be used in various engineering and scientific applications, such as designing drainage systems for water tanks or predicting the time it would take for a container to empty. It can also be used in fluid mechanics to study the flow of liquids in pipes or channels.