Switched careers, physics major advice

In summary, the individual is a student in Germany who is about to start their major in physics in three weeks. They have previously studied classical music and worked in that field for over ten years. They had a fear of math but after learning it again, they fell in love with physics and became obsessed with the idea of becoming a physicist. They have been studying math for the past 9 months and have been able to work their way up to the basics in calculus and linear algebra. They are seeking advice on specific points, including the feasibility of becoming a physicist at the age of 30, how to improve their math skills, and how to cope with forgetting formulas. They are recommended to brush up on geometry and trigonometry and are provided
DamienBR
Hello. I am a student in Germany, about to start my major in physics, namely in three weeks' time. I'm really excited about it because I've been wanting to study physics for about two years, but I just didn't have the courage to do it I've just turned 27 and before wanting to study physics I'd previously studied classical music (piano), the field I worked in for over ten years. I used to be that typical math hater in school and, as an adult, was often ashamed of my mathematical illiteracy. After some time learning math again, I realized it was awesome (boy, why did I miss out on it for so long?) and it wasn't long before I fell in love with physics and considered becoming a physicist. Well, I didn't just consider it, I got obsessed about the idea. Of course, I wasn't sure about actually doing it, because I knew math is such a vast field and I knew so little of it. And I still had a 30-40h weekly load at work which I couldn't simply give up in order to study.

So I put myself to the test. I decided to study math very hard, as much as I could, so as to find out whether I should really go for physics or not. I learned math from scratch over the last 9 months and was able to work my way up to the basics in calculus and linear algebra (I'm learning differentiation, integration, vectors, matrices...). I used up most of my free time for that, lunch breaks, many hours on weekends, all opportunities I had to study.
I don't know how good I am at math because I can't compare myself with others, but most of the time I understand stuff quickly. Sometimes I need to read a few (or many) different explanations until I get it, but I haven't yet come across anything I absolutely didn't get. Sometimes I'll make many mistakes, but after having practiced something long enough, I'll get the exercises 85-100% right. I think (and hope) those aren't indicators of low performance in math, I'd self-assess as being average or slightly good at it. So I don't think I'm making a mistake (again, I hope so).

That being said I'm looking for advice on some specific points and I'd really appreciate it if someone could enlighten me here:

1) How realistic is it for someone to become a physicist when they're over 30? Of course, I know I won't become the next Michio Kaku or work for the biggest companies, but do you think my coming from another background could make it more difficult for me to get a position in the future?

2) Now the more practical bit. I'm taking only three classes this semester because I want to improve my math skills. Next semester I'd like to take the course regularly, so the next six months would be the period to brush up on everything that needs brushing up. The fields I neglected a bit while studying were geometry and trigonometry. I did some of it, but not much. I know there's a lot of trig in physics and I've seen problems involving trig functions, identities and all that. The question is: should I go back and do geometry and/or trigonometry or should I rather try to solve physics problems involving more geometry and trig and sort of work on these concepts "on the go"? Since I have to split my time between physics and other math fields, I'd appreciate book recommendations. Especially something from which I could learn the most important concepts without spending months on it, since I already have to split my study time between physics, calculus, calculus, calculus... and calculus!

3) I sometimes forget stuff, mostly formulas because I haven't used them anymore. In physics way less than in math. If I sit down and look at the formulas for a while, I can pick it up quickly. But I get frustrated because sometimes it's stuff that's much easier than what I'm currently working on. Yet it seems to me that physics requires you to be able to do many kinds of mathematics. How do you cope with that?

I'm sorry about the length of my post, if you've read it this far you already have my gratitude!

Physics news on Phys.org
With respect to your geometry and trigonometry, this will come into play as you combine Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations ad Vectors into Vector Analysis. VA is used in Classical Mechanics to some degree and in Electromagnetic Theory to a much greater degree. So it would be good for you to know the essentials of geometry and trigonometry subjects.

The mathispower4u.com has many videos from Algebra thru Geometry and Trig topics upto and including Calculus, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations that may help you gain this necessary math knowledge. And of course there Khan's Academy too.

Likes DamienBR
jedishrfu said:
With respect to your geometry and trigonometry, this will come into play as you combine Calculus, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations ad Vectors into Vector Analysis. VA is used in Classical Mechanics to some degree and in Electromagnetic Theory to a much greater degree. So it would be good for you to know the essentials of geometry and trigonometry subjects.

The mathispower4u.com has many videos from Algebra thru Geometry and Trig topics upto and including Calculus, Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations that may help you gain this necessary math knowledge. And of course there Khan's Academy too.

I was familiar with KA, but not with the other one. And it's good to know what is used in which context. Very good tips, thanks a lot. I'll start brushing up on geometry and trig right away!

Related to Switched careers, physics major advice

1. What made you decide to switch careers as a physics major?

As a physics major, I have always been fascinated by the fundamental laws of nature and how they govern the world around us. However, I realized that my true passion lies in applying these principles to real-world problems and finding practical solutions. This led me to switch careers and pursue a field where I could directly apply my knowledge and skills.

2. Was it difficult to transition from physics to a different field?

Transitioning from one field to another can be challenging, but as a physics major, I had a strong foundation in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills, which are highly transferable to any field. Additionally, I took advantage of various resources such as networking, informational interviews, and relevant courses to help me make a smooth transition.

3. What advice do you have for someone considering switching careers as a physics major?

I would recommend taking some time to reflect on your interests, strengths, and career goals. It's also essential to do thorough research on the field you're considering and gain some hands-on experience through internships or part-time jobs. Networking and reaching out to professionals in the field can also provide valuable insights and guidance.

4. Are there any specific skills or knowledge from your physics background that have been helpful in your new career?

Absolutely. My background in physics has provided me with a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, data analysis, and problem-solving. These skills are highly transferable and have been beneficial in my new career, especially in areas such as data science, engineering, and technology.

5. What has been the most significant challenge you have faced in switching careers as a physics major?

The most significant challenge I faced was stepping out of my comfort zone and entering a new field where I had no prior experience. It required me to constantly learn and adapt to new technologies, concepts, and work environments. However, with determination and a willingness to learn, I was able to overcome this challenge and thrive in my new career.