Sum of combinations from k to n

In summary, the conversation is about trying to find a formula for the sum of combinations, specifically when the sum starts from an arbitrary k value and is applied to large values of n. The individual has tried looking at Pascal's triangle but has not found a pattern and is seeking help. They mention the possibility of using the incomplete beta function or approximating with a normal distribution for large n values.
Ediliter
I have been trying to figure out a formula for the sum of combinations. For example:

[itex]\sum[/itex]nk=0([itex]\frac{n}{k}[/itex]) = 2n

But what if you want to sum from any arbitrary k, like 4? I've tried looking at Pascal's triangle for nice values of n and k, but haven't been able to see a pattern. I would really appreciate any help with this. I want to apply this to combinations for large n, which are impractical to compute.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know any nice formula for [itex] \sum_{k=0}^m \binom{n}{k} [/itex] Your question made me curious and I searched the web. It apparently doesn't know a nice formula either. Perhaps if you give an example of the kind of computation you are trying to do, someone will see a way to compute the result - at least compute it on a computer.

The sum could be expressed in terms of the incomplete beta function, e.g. using the cdf of the binomial distribution with p=1/2.

For large n the binomial distribution is approximated by a normal distribution, so if you only want a close approximation you could use that.

I understand your frustration in trying to find a formula for the sum of combinations from any arbitrary k to n. This is a common problem in mathematics and often requires creative thinking and problem-solving skills to find a solution.

One approach you could try is to use the binomial theorem, which states that for any non-negative integer n, the sum of the coefficients of the terms in the expansion of (x+y)^n is equal to 2^n. This may not directly apply to your specific problem, but it could provide some insight and help you find a pattern.

Another approach could be to use combinatorial identities, such as the Vandermonde's identity, which states that the sum of combinations of k from 0 to m and n-k from 0 to m is equal to the combination of n from 0 to 2m. This may also provide some clues and help you find a formula for the sum of combinations from any arbitrary k to n.

Additionally, you could consider using computer programs or algorithms to help you calculate combinations for large values of n. This can save time and effort, and also allow you to focus on finding a formula for the sum of combinations rather than computing individual values.

I hope these suggestions are helpful and wish you the best of luck in finding a solution to your problem. Remember, as a scientist, it is important to keep exploring and trying different approaches until you find a satisfactory solution. Keep up the curiosity and determination in your research!

Related to Sum of combinations from k to n

1. What is the formula for finding the sum of combinations from k to n?

The formula for finding the sum of combinations from k to n is C(n+1, k+1) - 1, where C(n+1, k+1) represents the combination of n+1 objects taken k+1 at a time. This formula can also be written as (n+1)! / (k+1)! * (n-k)!

2. How is this formula derived?

This formula is derived from the concept of Pascal's Triangle, which shows the coefficients of the binomial expansion. The sum of the combinations from k to n can be found by adding the values in the (n+1)th row of the triangle, starting from the (k+1)th value. This is equivalent to C(n+1, k+1) - 1.

3. Can this formula be used for any values of k and n?

Yes, this formula can be used for any values of k and n as long as n is greater than or equal to k. If n is less than k, the sum of combinations will be equal to 0.

4. What is the significance of the sum of combinations from k to n?

The sum of combinations from k to n is useful in many mathematical and scientific applications, such as probability and statistics. It can also be used to find the number of ways to choose a certain number of objects from a larger set.

5. Are there any real-world examples of the sum of combinations from k to n?

Yes, the sum of combinations from k to n can be applied in many real-world situations, such as finding the number of possible combinations of toppings on a pizza, or the number of ways to select a team of players from a larger pool of athletes. It can also be used in genetics to calculate the number of possible genotypes from a given set of alleles.