Stokes law - Settling velocity and rate

In summary, the problem involves calculating the settling velocity and settling rate of particles in air with given parameters such as particle diameter, concentration, and slip correction factor. Using the given equations and converting units, the settling velocity was calculated to be 7.2E3 cm/s and the settling rate was estimated to be the previous value multiplied by the concentration. The book used for reference was noted to have errors and lack of discussion on certain topics.
Maharg

Homework Statement

1. A fly ash (ρ =1.8 g/mL) aerosol consists of particles averaging 13 μm in diameter and with a concentration of 800μg/m3. Use the average diameter to calculate the settling velocity (cm/s) and settling rate (μg/m/s) of the particles in air.
The Stokes-Cunningham slip correction factor is 1.015.

Homework Equations

vt = (pp - pa)C*g*dp^2/ 18n

vt = settling velocity in m/s
pp = particle density g/m3
pa = air density g/m3
C = stokes-cunningham slip correction factor (given in question)
g = acceleration due to gravity
dp = particle diameter in m
n = viscosity of air

The Attempt at a Solution

So first I had to figure out what each part of equation is since I was not given all of it.

pp was given in question as 1.8 g/mL converted to 1.8E6 g/m3 (is that correct conversion?)

pa I found online air density to be 1.184E3 g/m3 at 25 Celsius (note no textbook for this class)

g = 9/8 m/s2

n = 1.86E-2 g/m*s I also found this online

After this I plugged it all into equation.

vt = [(1.8E6 g/m3 - 1.184E3 g/m3)(1.015)(9.8 m/s2)(13E-5 m)]/[18(1.86E-2 g/m*s)]

= 2403.654 g/m / 0.3348 g/m*s
= 7179 = 7.2E3 s

my units don't make sense. everything cancels out but seconds. How go I get this in m(cm) a second. I don't know how to make it so m doesn't cancel?

Also I do not know how to do settling rate. We have never talked about rate in class. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you forgot to square one of the terms which is why you are missing an m.

I assumed the settling rate was just the previous number * the concentration, although you are right, the book did not discuss it!

("Environmental Chemistry: a global perspective" by Gary w vanLoon and Stephen J. Duffy is full of errors and questions which does not reflect the material covered.)

Anyway, this was code to solve the problem:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/env python
from __future__ import division
from scipy import pi

p_p=1.8*10**6 #g/mL
d_p=13e-06 #m
C=1.016
p_a=1.2e03 #g/m^3
eta=1.2e-02 #g/ms
g=9.81 #m/s/s
N= 800 #ug/m^3

Vt=(p_p-p_a)*C*g*d_p**2/(18*eta)

print 'Problem 6.4'
print '==========='
print 'Settling velocity = ' + str(Vt) + ' m/s =' +str(Vt*100) + ' cm/s'
print 'Settling rate = ' + str(Vt*N) + ' ug/m^2/s'

Related to Stokes law - Settling velocity and rate

1. What is Stokes law and how does it relate to settling velocity?

Stokes law is a mathematical equation that describes the settling velocity of a small spherical particle in a fluid. It states that the settling velocity is directly proportional to the particle's radius squared, the density difference between the particle and the fluid, and the acceleration due to gravity. This law is commonly used in fluid mechanics and sedimentation studies.

2. How is the settling rate calculated using Stokes law?

The settling rate can be calculated using the equation: v = (2/9) * (ρp - ρf) * g * r2, where v is the settling velocity, ρp is the density of the particle, ρf is the density of the fluid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and r is the radius of the particle.

3. What factors can affect the settling velocity of a particle?

The settling velocity of a particle can be affected by the size, shape, and density of the particle, as well as the density and viscosity of the fluid. Other factors such as turbulence, temperature, and presence of other particles can also have an impact on the settling velocity.

4. Can Stokes law be applied to non-spherical particles?

Stokes law is only applicable to small spherical particles in a fluid. For non-spherical particles, other equations such as Newton's law of viscosity or the drag force equation may be used to calculate the settling velocity.

5. How is Stokes law used in real-world applications?

Stokes law is commonly used in sedimentation studies to understand the behavior of particles in a fluid and their settling rates. It is also used in industries such as wastewater treatment, mineral processing, and oil and gas exploration to design settling tanks and separators. Additionally, it is used in medical research to study the behavior of cells and particles in the body.