Spherical bessel functions addition theorems

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to prove a particular case of the Gegenbauer addition theorem involving the expansion of e^(aR)/R in terms of special functions. The speaker is looking for a simple proof, preferably not using the Green's function of the Helmholtz equation. They mention that there is a similar relation for the spherical Hankel functions and that they are still searching for a didactical proof. Another person in the conversation suggests a proof using Fourier transform methods and separation of variables, which the speaker later uses for their class notes. The conversation ends with the hope that this thread will help others looking for a simple proof.
Knockout
I really need to prove eq. 10.1.45 and 10.1.46 of Abramowitz and Stegun Handbook on Mathematical functions. Is an expansion of e^(aR)/R in terms of Special Functions! Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I'll write it down. I need to prove:
[tex] \frac{e^{-ikR}}{R}=\sum [(2n+1)j_{n}(kb)h_{n}(kr)P_{n}(cos \theta)] [/tex]
where:
[tex] R=\sqrt{r^2+b^2-2brcos(\theta)}[/tex] and the sum goes from zero to infinity over n.
I know it's a particular case of gegenbauer addition theorem. I understand what it means. I only need a simple proof. (I've seen a proof using the green function of the Helmholtz equation, but I'm sure it's even simpler than that.)

Oh j are the first spherical bessel functions and h are the second Hankel spherical functions.
Any help would be appreciated.

It might help to use

[tex]j_n(r) = (-1)^n r^n \left( \frac{d}{r \, dr} \right)^n \frac{\sin r}{r}[/tex]

I'm not sure. There is a similar relation for the spherical Hankel functions.

Knockout,
I'm interested in finding a proof too for that relation too.
Did you find a simple proof of it? Also, do you know
of a reference that does a green's function proof through the Helmholtz eqn?
Thanks

Denny sorry for my late answer. I just came back from a long holiday. The green's function proof was in several books. One I can remember was Fundamentals of Mathematical Physics by Edgar Kraut. My problem with those proofs is that they propose a magical expansion from nowhere (which is ok), but i was looking for something more didactical. You can find a more powerful and difficult version of the proof as the Gegenbauer addition theorem. This you can check it in the famous book: A treatise on the Theory of Bessel Functions by George Neville Watson. However ,I haven't suceeded in finding a simple didactical proof, and I'm still looking for one. If you already found one please let me know. I'm working on some class notes, and I'm trying to make them as simple as possible.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree. I think the proof of
the Gegenbauer addition theorem in Watson took too long to go
through. Though, I did find a simple Green's function proof of the Helmoltz eqn. that
I thought was not too 'magical' in:
Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics (Paperback)
by Frederick W. Byron (Author), Robert W. Fuller

In there, they show e(ik*R)/R is a Green's function to the Helmoltz eqn.
in free space through a Fourier transform method. Then, they also show
the sum form of the Green's function involving spherical bessel function can
also be obtained by separation of variables after satisfying boundary conditions.
I thought those 2 derivations were relatively straightforward and I was ok with
simply equating the 2 expressions. (I think this is the idea, but its been a month
or two since I looked at it.)

Denny

Thanks Denny. Yesterday, I solve it in a simple way for my notes. I also saw Byron's book, and it's a nice way to solve it. Thanks again anyway, hope this thread helps some other lost soul.

Related to Spherical bessel functions addition theorems

1. What are spherical bessel functions addition theorems?

Spherical bessel functions addition theorems are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between spherical bessel functions of different orders and arguments. They are often used in physics and engineering to solve problems involving spherical symmetry.

2. How are spherical bessel functions addition theorems derived?

The addition theorems for spherical bessel functions can be derived using the method of separation of variables and by applying the orthogonality property of the functions. This results in a series of equations that relate the values of the functions at different points on the sphere.

3. What is the significance of spherical bessel functions addition theorems?

Spherical bessel functions addition theorems are important in solving problems involving spherical symmetry, such as in the study of electromagnetic waves, heat transfer, and quantum mechanics. They allow for the simplification of complex equations and provide a convenient way to express solutions in terms of a series expansion.

4. Can spherical bessel functions addition theorems be applied to other types of functions?

Yes, the addition theorems for spherical bessel functions have been extended to other types of functions, such as spherical modified Bessel functions, spherical Hankel functions, and spherical Neumann functions. These extensions allow for the solution of a wider range of problems involving spherical symmetry.

5. Are there any real-world applications of spherical bessel functions addition theorems?

Yes, spherical bessel functions addition theorems have many practical applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include the analysis of wave propagation in spherical geometries, the calculation of electromagnetic fields in antenna design, and the study of heat transfer in spherical systems.