Sorting Threads by Date, Replies, Views & External Resonance

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter A. Neumaier
  • Start date
In summary, using an offset of 1 would make it easier to sort by external resonance, but would not affect the rank.
A. Neumaier
Science Advisor
Insights Author
It would be nice if, in addition to
- sorting by date
- sorting by number of replies and
- sorting by number of views
it were possible to
- sort by external resonance, defined as (number of views)/(20+number of replies).

Or another sensible number in place of 20. Note that 1+number of replies = number of posts, but using this in the denominator would give too much emphasis on posts with no or very few replies.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the sort options are what are provided by VB, so it might take some significant hacking to provide more.

Changing the offset from 20 to 1 (or any other number) would not affect the rank by "external resonance" of a thread.

Gokul43201 said:
Changing the offset from 20 to 1 (or any other number) would not affect the rank by "external resonance" of a thread.

Unfortunately, the offset makes a difference:

Given the current PF statistics in the forum on quantum physics, a well-received thread W might have v=500 views and r=50 replies, while a new thread N might well have v=50, r=0 before the first reply arrives.

The thread W will have higher rank than N when k is 6 or higher, whereas for k=5 or lower, N will have the higher rank.

Relying on views doesn't make sense, many are by crawlers.

Borek said:
Relying on views doesn't make sense, many are by crawlers.

I don't believe crawlers are counted. They'd be much much higher.

Greg Bernhardt said:

...and if they would dominate the numbers, the ratios of views to posts (which vary at least between 20 and over 500) should be much more uniform than they are.

A. Neumaier said:
Unfortunately, the offset makes a difference:

Given the current PF statistics in the forum on quantum physics, a well-received thread W might have v=500 views and r=50 replies, while a new thread N might well have v=50, r=0 before the first reply arrives.

The thread W will have higher rank than N when k is 6 or higher, whereas for k=5 or lower, N will have the higher rank.
Oops, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, agreed on the distinction. Not sure I've ever cared about an index of that nature in all my searching history though.

Greg Bernhardt said:

Best known (google, yahoo and others, phpBB has a list of about 40, not sure about vBulletin) are filtered out, but I see from my server logs that there are some that show at random. I have never tried to delve deeper.

Gokul43201 said:
Oops, I misunderstood what you were saying. Yes, agreed on the distinction. Not sure I've ever cared about an index of that nature in all my searching history though.

Well, I noticed that some thread have a _much_ higher "external resonance" than others, suggesting that very many people look at it because they expect from the title something interesting. So good answers to such threads would have much more impact than answers to a thread with little "external resonance", which at best only satisfies the original poster and a few regulars...

Related to Sorting Threads by Date, Replies, Views & External Resonance

1. How does sorting threads by date work?

Sorting threads by date works by arranging the threads in chronological order, with the most recent threads appearing first.

2. What does sorting threads by replies mean?

Sorting threads by replies means arranging the threads based on the number of replies they have. Threads with the most replies will appear first.

3. What is the significance of sorting threads by views?

Sorting threads by views is a way to see which threads are the most popular or have been viewed the most by users. This can help identify popular topics or discussions.

4. What is external resonance in relation to sorting threads?

External resonance refers to the number of times a thread has been shared or linked to on external websites or platforms. Sorting threads by external resonance can give an idea of how widely discussed or shared a thread is outside of the original platform.

5. Can I customize the way threads are sorted?

It depends on the platform or forum, but many offer the option to customize how threads are sorted by allowing users to choose their own criteria, such as sorting by most recent activity or highest rated.