Solving the ODE with Arbitrary Constants: A Search for Analytic Solutions

• Thread starter MathNerd
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, The conversation discusses trying to find an analytic solution for a given ODE, but coming to the conclusion that it probably does not exist. The participants also suggest different substitutions and methods for solving the equation.
MathNerd
I’ve been trying to find an analytic solution to the following ODE. I haven’t been successful and have come to the conclusion that an analytic solution probably doesn’t exist. I am not totally sure though and would be appreciative if you guys gave it a look.

a & b are arbitrary constants...

[tex]
\ddot{f} + b tan(b t) \dot{f} - a^2 cos^2(b t) f = 0
[/tex]

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, write the tan as sin/cos. Then multiply the equation by cos(bt). Then write the equation in terms of the variable:

[tex] \tau = \sin bt [/tex]

dhris

Last edited:
Originally posted by dhris
First, write the tan as sin/cos. Then multiply the equation by cos(bt). Then write the equation in terms of the variable:

[tex] \tau = \sin bt [/tex]

dhris

Thanks for the hint. I actually found this substitution works best…

[tex] \tau = cos(bt) [/tex]

after making the substitution I solved it via a power series method.

Originally posted by MathNerd
Thanks for the hint. I actually found this substitution works best…

[tex] \tau = cos(bt) [/tex]

after making the substitution I solved it via a power series method.

But you can solve it exactly if you use the other one!

Related to Solving the ODE with Arbitrary Constants: A Search for Analytic Solutions

1. What is an ODE?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that involves a function and its derivatives. It describes the relationship between the independent variable (usually denoted as x) and the dependent variable (usually denoted as y) in terms of their derivatives.

2. What are arbitrary constants?

Arbitrary constants are constants that appear in the general solution of an ODE. They are called "arbitrary" because their values are not determined by the equation, but rather by the initial conditions of the problem. These constants allow for a family of solutions to the ODE, rather than a single solution.

3. Why is it important to find analytic solutions to ODEs?

Analytic solutions to ODEs are important because they provide a closed-form expression for the solution. This means that the solution can be written in terms of familiar mathematical functions, making it easier to understand and manipulate. Analytic solutions also allow for more precise calculations and predictions.

4. How do you search for analytic solutions to ODEs?

One method for searching for analytic solutions to ODEs is by using the method of separation of variables. This involves separating the dependent and independent variables and then integrating both sides of the equation. Another method is the method of undetermined coefficients, which involves assuming a solution in a certain form and then solving for the coefficients.

5. Are all ODEs solvable with arbitrary constants?

No, not all ODEs can be solved with arbitrary constants. Some ODEs are non-analytic and can only be solved numerically. Additionally, some ODEs may have no solution at all. The solvability of an ODE depends on its form and the available techniques for solving it.