Solving the Bernoulli Equation: Find Initial Value u(1)

In summary: Oh, haha. Okay. Well, you're welcome then! :DIn summary, the conversation revolved around solving a Bernoulli equation and finding the initial value for the variable u in order to make the limit of u as x approaches 0 from the positive direction converge. Two different solutions were discussed, one using a Taylor series for the exponential function and the other using a substitution and first order approximation. Ultimately, it was determined that the value of A in the equation must be 0 for the limit to converge.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hello!

I have the following Bernoulli equation:
[tex] 2xyy'+(1+x)y^2=e^{x} [/tex], [tex] x>0 [/tex]

[tex]lim_{x -> 0^{+}} y(x) <\infty [/tex]The transformation is [tex] u=y^{2} [/tex].

So, [tex] u'+(\frac{1}{x}+1)u=\frac{e^{2x}}{x}[/tex].How can I find the initial value [tex]u(1)[/tex] so that [tex]lim_{x -> 0^{+}} u(x) <\infty [/tex] ??

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hello!

I have the following Bernoulli equation:
[tex] 2xyy'+(1+x)y^2=e^{x} [/tex], [tex] x>0 [/tex]

[tex]lim_{x -> 0^{+}} y(x) <\infty [/tex]The transformation is [tex] u=y^{2} [/tex].

So, [tex] u'+(\frac{1}{x}+1)u=\frac{e^{2x}}{x}[/tex].How can I find the initial value [tex]u(1)[/tex] so that [tex]lim_{x -> 0^{+}} u(x) <\infty [/tex] ??

Hey mathmari!

I think that should be:
$$u'+(\frac{1}{x}+1)u=\frac{e^{x}}{x}$$You can solve this ODE.
Its solution is:
$$u(x)=\frac{A e^{-x} + e^x}{2x}$$
as you can see here.To make u(x) converge when $x \to 0^+$, you need $A=-1$.
According to l'Hospital, that gives us:
$$\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{e^x -e^{-x}}{2x} = \lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac{e^x +e^{-x}}{2} = 1$$
so it really converges.

So:
$$u(1) = \frac{e -e^{-1}}{2}$$

Sorry, I accidentally made a mistake at the exercise..

It's [tex] 2xyy'+(1+x)y^2=e^{2x} [/tex], with solution [tex] u(x)=\frac{3Ae^{-x}+xe^{3x}}{3x} [/tex].

To make u(x) converge when [tex]x\rightarrow 0^{+}[/tex], must [tex]A=0[/tex]??
Then [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0^{+}} \frac{xe^{3x}}{3x}=lim_{x\rightarrow 0^{+}} \frac{e^{3x}}{3}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex].
So, [tex] u(1)=\frac{e^{3}}{3}[/tex].
Is this right??

mathmari said:
Sorry, I accidentally made a mistake at the exercise..

It's [tex] 2xyy'+(1+x)y^2=e^{2x} [/tex], with solution [tex] u(x)=\frac{3Ae^{-x}+xe^{3x}}{3x} [/tex].

To make u(x) converge when [tex]x\rightarrow 0^{+}[/tex], must [tex]A=0[/tex]??
Then [tex]lim_{x\rightarrow 0^{+}} \frac{xe^{3x}}{3x}=lim_{x\rightarrow 0^{+}} \frac{e^{3x}}{3}=\frac{1}{3}[/tex].
So, [tex] u(1)=\frac{e^{3}}{3}[/tex].
Is this right??

Almost. ;)

I think your solution should be:
$$u(x)=\frac{3Ae^{-x}+xe^{\color{red}{2x}}}{3x}$$

I like Serena said:
Almost. ;)

I think your solution should be:
$$u(x)=\frac{3Ae^{-x}+xe^{\color{red}{2x}}}{3x}$$

Yes, you're right! :D

I have also thought another way to solve the exercise.. Could you tell me if it's right??Using the Taylor series for the exponential:

[tex] e^{x}=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+... [/tex]

[tex] e^{-x}=1-x+\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{x^3}{3!}+... [/tex]

[tex] e^{3x}=1+3x+\frac{(3x)^2}{2}+... [/tex]

For small [tex] x>0 [/tex]
[tex] u(x)= \frac{1-x}{x}(c+\frac{1+3x}{3})= (\frac{1}{x}-1)(c+\frac{1+3x}{3})= \frac{1}{x}(c+\frac{1+3x}{3})-(c+\frac{1+3x}{3})[/tex] [tex]= \frac{1}{x}c+\frac{1}{3x}+1- (c+\frac{1+3x}{3})= \frac{1}{x}(c+\frac{1}{3})+1- (c+\frac{1+3x}{3}) [/tex].

Since the term [tex] \frac{1}{x} [/tex] causes problems at [tex] x=0 [/tex], we want to get rid of it, so [tex] c+\frac{1}{3}=0 \Rightarrow c=-\frac{1}{3}[/tex].

But with this way I have found else..:confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
mathmari said:
Yes, you're right! :D

I have also thought another way to solve the exercise.. Could you tell me if it's right??Using the Taylor series for the exponential:

[tex] e^{x}=1+x+\frac{x^2}{2}+... [/tex]

[tex] e^{-x}=1-x+\frac{x^2}{2}-\frac{x^3}{3!}+... [/tex]

[tex] e^{3x}=1+3x+\frac{(3x)^2}{2}+... [/tex]

Aww! You really should become more careful with your exponential powers.
I take it you intended the following?
$$e^{2x}=1+2x+\frac{(2x)^2}{2!}+...$$
For small [tex] x>0 [/tex]
[tex] u(x)= \frac{1-x}{x}(c+\frac{1+3x}{3})[/tex]

Hmm, where did your "c" come from?

Anyway, hold on! We have:
$$u(x) = \frac{3A e^{-x} + x e^{2x}} {3x}$$
Making your substitutions, I get:
$$u(x) =_1 \frac{3A (1-x) + x (1 + 2x)} {3x} = \frac{A (1-x)}{x} + \frac{1+2x}{3}$$
That looks different than what you have (and not only the 2x instead of 3x).
Note that I have used $=_1$ to denote that the equality holds for the first order approximation.
From this, you can again conclude that if the series is to converge, you will at least need that $A=0$.You have to be careful with series expansions though.
If the resulting series converges, you're okay. Then the original formula will also converge.
But if it diverges, it's inconclusive. A diverging Taylor expansion does not necessarily mean that the original formula is undefined. In this case you're okay, since you're working within the radius of convergence of the exponential expansion.

Ok! Thanks! :eek:

mathmari said:
Ok! Thanks!

Heh. This is an old thread. It actually originates from my birthday. :eek:
How come you're getting back to it now?

Edit: Hey! You have an avatar now! (Mmm)

I like Serena said:
Heh. This is an old thread. It actually originates from my birthday. :eek:
How come you're getting back to it now?

Edit: Hey! You have an avatar now! (Mmm)

I was looking at my old posts and realized that I hadn't thanked you! :eek:

Related to Solving the Bernoulli Equation: Find Initial Value u(1)

1. What is the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid flowing through a pipe. It is commonly used in fluid mechanics to solve problems involving fluid flow.

2. How do you solve the Bernoulli Equation?

The Bernoulli Equation can be solved using a variety of methods, including substitution, integration, and manipulation of the equation. It is important to follow the steps carefully and use the correct formula for the given problem.

3. What is the initial value in the Bernoulli Equation?

The initial value in the Bernoulli Equation refers to the value of the function at a specific point, usually denoted as u(1). In problems involving finding the initial value, you will be given the value of u(1) and will need to use it to solve for other variables in the equation.

4. How is the Bernoulli Equation used in real-life applications?

The Bernoulli Equation has many real-life applications, including in fluid mechanics, aerodynamics, and hydraulics. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes, determine the lift and drag forces on an airplane, and design water distribution systems, among other things.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the Bernoulli Equation?

Some common mistakes when solving the Bernoulli Equation include using the wrong formula, incorrect substitution of variables, and not considering all the terms in the equation. It is important to double-check your work and make sure you have followed all the necessary steps to correctly solve the equation.