Solving Operators and Ordering in 3D Electron Energies

• Thread starter Lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the commutation of kinetic and potential energies for electrons in 3 dimensions. The process involves using the kinetic operator T, potential energy from Coulomb's law, and applying commutation brackets. The question arises about dealing with the x-direction and preserving order when dealing with operators. The solution involves applying the commutator on a "test function" and removing it at the end of the calculation. It is also important to remember that "x" is an operator, not a function, so it cannot be differentiated directly.
Lee
In my question I have to find what the commutation of a electrons kinetic and potentials energys are, in 3 Dimensions. I have started by finding the kinetic operator T and the potential energy from coloumbs law. I have then applied commutation brackets and I'm at the stage where I'm solving the commutation bracket for the x-direction. (and then apply symmetry for my 2 other axis) My question is, as we have to retain order when dealing with operators, how do I 'deal' with my

[tex]
\newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }

xi \hbar \pd {} {x} {}
[/tex]

I presume I can't just differentate the x as I need to preserver order, does this just sit like this till I can 'deal' with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lee said:
In my question I have to find what the commutation of a electrons kinetic and potentials energys are, in 3 Dimensions. I have started by finding the kinetic operator T and the potential energy from coloumbs law. I have then applied commutation brackets and I'm at the stage where I'm solving the commutation bracket for the x-direction. (and then apply symmetry for my 2 other axis) My question is, as we have to retain order when dealing with operators, how do I 'deal' with my

[tex]
\newcommand{\pd}[3]{ \frac{ \partial^{#3}{#1} }{ \partial {#2}^{#3} } }

xi \hbar \pd {} {x} {}
[/tex]

I presume I can't just differentate the x as I need to preserver order, does this just sit like this till I can 'deal' with it?

In calculating commutators of differntial operators, it is convenient to apply th commutator on a "test function", which is is just som arbitrary function of x, y and z that must be removed at the very end of the calculation.

So if you have two operators A and B (which are differential operators) and you want to compute their commutator, just consider
[tex] [A,B] f(x,y,z) = AB f(x,y,z) - BA f(x,y,z) [/tex]
Apply all the derivatives and at the very end, remove the test function.

You can apply a commutation relation if you wanted to reverse the order.

But remember that "x" is an operator, not a function. So

[tex]
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} x \neq 1
[/tex]

Instead, it's supposed to be the operator

[tex]
\psi(x, y, z, t) \rightarrow \frac{\partial (x \psi(x, y, z, t))}{\partial x}
[/tex]

Related to Solving Operators and Ordering in 3D Electron Energies

1. How do you solve for the operators in 3D electron energies?

To solve for operators in 3D electron energies, you will need to use the Schrödinger equation and apply the appropriate operators for the system in question. These operators include the position, momentum, and angular momentum operators.

2. What is the importance of ordering in 3D electron energies?

Ordering in 3D electron energies is important because it allows us to determine the energy levels of the system and the probability of finding an electron at a particular energy level. It also helps us understand the behavior of electrons in a given system.

3. How do you determine the energy levels of a 3D electron system?

The energy levels of a 3D electron system can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation and applying the appropriate operators. The resulting energy levels will depend on the specific system and its properties.

4. What is the role of operators in 3D electron energies?

Operators play a crucial role in 3D electron energies as they represent mathematical operations that act on the wavefunction of the system. These operators allow us to calculate the position, momentum, and energy levels of the electrons in the system.

5. How are the operators for 3D electron energies related to the physical properties of the system?

The operators for 3D electron energies are related to the physical properties of the system through the Heisenberg uncertainty principle. This principle states that the more precisely we know the position of an electron, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa. Therefore, the operators for position and momentum are closely related to the physical properties of the system.