Solving Cosmology Problem on Page 12 of Damtp.cam.ac.uk

• Thread starter latentcorpse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
So you can see that the coefficient of z^2 is 1/(2+q_0) and the linear term is -H_0.In summary, the conversation is discussing a problem in which the solution can be found online. The person is stuck on a specific part involving a Taylor expansion and solving a quadratic equation. They provide their own thoughts and calculations, and the expert recommends including all terms in the expansion and expanding the square root in powers of z to find the coefficients.
latentcorpse
I'm looking through the solution to a problem and am stuck with some of the maths.
The solution can be found here:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/r.ribeiro/supervisions_files/Cosmo1sol_M2010.pdf

The pages are numbered in the bottom right corner. I am on p12.

We have an expression [itex]1+z \simeq \frac{1}{\dots}[/itex] half way down the page. I can get to here fine.

Then she solves for z. How has she done this? Is it binomial? If so how has that worked? We have two terms here not just the usual [itex](1+x)^n[/itex]

And there is a new term that appears when we solve for z: [itex]H_0^2(t-t_0)^2[/itex]. Where's that from?

Then under that we "invert" to find [itex]t-t_0[/itex] Iliterally have no idea what has happened here!

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is just a Taylor expansion in powers of [tex]t-t_0[/tex]. You can use the binomial expansion to do this, but if that's giving you problems just compute the necessary derivatives.

The "inversion" is just solving a quadratic equation. Did you even try working this part out for yourself before posting?

fzero said:
The first part is just a Taylor expansion in powers of [tex]t-t_0[/tex]. You can use the binomial expansion to do this, but if that's giving you problems just compute the necessary derivatives.

The "inversion" is just solving a quadratic equation. Did you even try working this part out for yourself before posting?

Hmm. well say you have [itex](1+x)^{-1}=1-x[/itex] where for us [itex]x=H_0(t-t_0) - \frac{1}{2} q_0 H_0^2(t-t_0)^2[/itex]

then [itex](1+x)^{-1}= 1-H_0(t-t_0) - \frac{1}{2} q_0 H_0^2(t-t_0)^2[/itex] but I'm missing a term?And then for the next bit i think i was confused by the word "inverting". Nonetheless, it's a quadratic so we should be able to use [itex]x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

In the form [itex](1+\frac{1}{2}q_0 ) H_0^2 x^2 - H_0 x - z = 0 [/itex] with [itex]x=t-t_0[/itex]

we get [itex]x = \frac{H_0 \pm \sqrt{H_0^2 + 4z(1+\frac{1}{2}q_0)}}{(2+q_0)H_0^2}[/itex]
which doesn't look very promising

latentcorpse said:
Hmm. well say you have [itex](1+x)^{-1}=1-x[/itex] where for us [itex]x=H_0(t-t_0) - \frac{1}{2} q_0 H_0^2(t-t_0)^2[/itex]

then [itex](1+x)^{-1}= 1-H_0(t-t_0) - \frac{1}{2} q_0 H_0^2(t-t_0)^2[/itex] but I'm missing a term?

You have to include terms of order [tex]x^2[/tex] to obtain all of the terms of order [tex](t-t_0)^2[/tex].

And then for the next bit i think i was confused by the word "inverting". Nonetheless, it's a quadratic so we should be able to use [itex]x=\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2-4ac}}{2a}[/itex]

In the form [itex](1+\frac{1}{2}q_0 ) H_0^2 x^2 - H_0 x - z = 0 [/itex] with [itex]x=t-t_0[/itex]

we get [itex]x = \frac{H_0 \pm \sqrt{H_0^2 + 4z(1+\frac{1}{2}q_0)}}{(2+q_0)H_0^2}[/itex]
which doesn't look very promising

They've expanded the square root in powers of [tex]z[/tex].

I understand that working through complex equations and mathematical expressions can be challenging. In order to solve the cosmology problem on page 12 of the Damtp.cam.ac.uk website, it is important to have a solid understanding of the underlying principles and concepts involved.

In this particular problem, the expression 1+z \simeq \frac{1}{\dots} is a result of applying the cosmological principle, which states that the universe is homogeneous and isotropic on large scales. This allows us to use the Friedmann equations, which relate the expansion rate of the universe (Hubble parameter, H) to the density and pressure of the universe.

The solution then proceeds to solve for z by using a binomial expansion, which is a mathematical technique used to approximate a complex expression by expanding it into simpler terms. In this case, the expression 1+z is expanded into two terms, 1 and z, which allows us to isolate z and solve for it.

The term H_0^2(t-t_0)^2 that appears in the solution is a result of the Friedmann equations, specifically the term for the expansion rate of the universe (H) squared. This term represents the energy density of the universe, which is a key factor in understanding the evolution and expansion of the universe.

Finally, the inversion process in the solution is a common technique in mathematics, where both sides of an equation are multiplied by the reciprocal of a term in order to isolate a variable. In this case, the inversion is used to solve for t-t_0, which represents the age of the universe.

I hope this explanation helps clarify some of the mathematical steps involved in solving the cosmology problem. I encourage you to continue studying and practicing mathematical techniques in order to deepen your understanding of cosmology and other scientific fields.

Related to Solving Cosmology Problem on Page 12 of Damtp.cam.ac.uk

1. What is cosmology and why is it important?

Cosmology is the study of the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe. It is important because it helps us understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the universe, and provides insights into the nature of our existence and the world around us.

2. What is the "cosmology problem" mentioned on page 12 of Damtp.cam.ac.uk?

The cosmology problem refers to the discrepancy between the observed expansion rate of the universe and the predicted expansion rate based on our current understanding of the laws of physics. This problem is also known as the "Hubble tension" and has been a topic of ongoing research and debate among cosmologists.

3. How is the cosmology problem being addressed by scientists?

Scientists are using a variety of methods and approaches to address the cosmology problem. This includes studying the properties of dark energy and dark matter, exploring alternative theories of gravity, and analyzing large datasets from cosmic surveys. Collaborative efforts and interdisciplinary research are also being pursued to tackle this complex problem.

4. What is the current status of solving the cosmology problem?

The cosmology problem is still an active area of research and no definitive solution has been found yet. However, recent efforts have provided new insights and potential avenues for further investigation. The scientific community remains committed to finding a resolution to this fundamental mystery of the universe.

5. How does solving the cosmology problem impact our understanding of the universe?

Solving the cosmology problem would have a significant impact on our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It could potentially lead to a better understanding of the nature of dark energy and dark matter, and shed light on the fundamental laws of physics. It would also have implications for our understanding of the origins of the universe and the fate of the universe in the future.