Solve 10 Gal Solution of 6.40%Cl, 5.52%Na, 4.11%Ca, Density 1.21

• Thread starter nikkee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to solve a problem involving a 10 gallon solution with percentages of Cl, Na, and Ca, and a density of 1.21. The problem involves adding HCl to increase the %Cl to 6.60% and finding the theoretical %Na and %Ca after the addition. The conversation also mentions the need to pay attention to units, convert gallons to pounds, and choose a variable to represent the amount of HCl solution to add.
nikkee
Could someone explain to me how to solve this?

I have a 10 gallon solution made up of 6.40%Cl, 5.52%Na, and 4.11%Ca, with a density of 1.21. How much HCl is needed to get the %Cl up to a 6.60%, and what would the theoretical %Na and %Ca be after the HCl addition?

Can anyone show me the steps to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
How about just a couple of hints!

The density information is only to help start the solution of the problem. You are adding a number then to both the mass of the liquid and to the mass of Cl, from the addition of HCl. (we notice that your concentration of HCl source is not given).

The concentration of the HCl is ~32% by weight.

You absolutely need to pay attention to units. What are the units of density you have given?

I'm assuming your percentages are by weight. Figure out how much mass you have in ten gallons of solution; use molecular weights to do this.

That would be a good starting point.

You will need to check a handbook unit conversion ratios to go from gallons to pounds, which is why you will need also to convert the density into pounds/gallon. The best of memory suggests that 453.59 grams = 1 pound; 2850 milliliters = 1 gallon. Convert your 10 gallons of mixture to its number of pounds.

Now, you need to choose a variable to apply to both the numerator and denominator of a ratio representing the "percent" of Cl. The variable will be the amount of mass of HCl solution which you want to add to your 10 gallons of mixture. I will leave all of the algebraic transcription to you.

Related to Solve 10 Gal Solution of 6.40%Cl, 5.52%Na, 4.11%Ca, Density 1.21

What is the concentration of each element in the solution?

The solution contains 6.40% chlorine, 5.52% sodium, and 4.11% calcium.

What is the density of the solution?

The density of the solution is 1.21 g/mL.

How many grams of each element are present in 10 gallons of the solution?

In 10 gallons of the solution, there are approximately 640 grams of chlorine, 552 grams of sodium, and 411 grams of calcium.

What is the molarity of each element in the solution?

The molarity of chlorine is approximately 0.109 M, the molarity of sodium is approximately 0.095 M, and the molarity of calcium is approximately 0.071 M.

How can this solution be prepared?

This solution can be prepared by dissolving 640 grams of chlorine, 552 grams of sodium, and 411 grams of calcium in enough water to make 10 gallons of solution, and then adjusting the volume to achieve a density of 1.21 g/mL.