Skyline storage is only for symetric matrices?

In summary: Some methods will work for some problems, but not for others. It's important to consider the specific characteristics of the matrix and the specific requirements of the problem when choosing a storage and solution method.
Ronankeating
hi all,

Is that skyline storage,which is been widely used in FEM problems, is only for symetric matrices?

What if I have non-standardized matrices, that is , which can not be made symettric, has pretty randomly oriented inner products, which can not be put into any computerized manner for storage, so I have to store all of it. What is the general solution for such kind of problems?

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
Ronankeating said:
Is that skyline storage,which is been widely used in FEM problems, is only for symetric matrices?
There are two meanings of "symmetric" that are relevant to that question.

(1) The pattern of zeros in the matrix is symmetric, i.e. there are many pairs of elements where [itex]a_{i,j} = a_{j,i} = 0[/itex]. (There may be some unpaired zero elements as well, but they are treated the same way as non-zero terms.)

(2) The stronger condition that [itex]a_{i,j} = a^*_{j,i}[/itex] for all values [itex]i[/itex] and [itex]j[/itex]. (Real symmetric matrices are just a special case of complex Hermitian matrices, for most numerical methods).

The basic idea of skyline storage usually refers to (2).

You can use skyline storage for (1) by splitting the matrix in two along the diagonal, and storing the data in two identical shaped "skylines", one vertical and one horizontal. This works well for many purposes when the non-zero data in the matrix is not symmetric.

What if I have non-standardized matrices, that is , which can not be made symettric, has pretty randomly oriented inner products, which can not be put into any computerized manner for storage, so I have to store all of it. What is the general solution for such kind of problems?

The answer depends what you want to do with the sparse matrix. There isn't really a "one size fits all" general solution.

Related to Skyline storage is only for symetric matrices?

1. What is skyline storage and how is it different from other storage methods?

Skyline storage is a method for storing symmetrical matrices that takes advantage of their symmetry to reduce the amount of required storage. It only stores the upper or lower triangular portion of the matrix, rather than the entire matrix. This makes it more efficient for large matrices with a lot of symmetry.

2. Can I use skyline storage for non-symmetrical matrices?

No, skyline storage is only applicable to symmetrical matrices. It relies on the fact that the upper and lower triangular portions of the matrix are identical, which is not true for non-symmetrical matrices.

3. How does skyline storage affect matrix operations?

Skyline storage does not affect the results of matrix operations, but it can improve the efficiency of these operations. By only storing a portion of the matrix, less memory and computation is required, resulting in faster operations.

4. Are there any downsides to using skyline storage?

One potential downside of skyline storage is that it may not be as efficient for matrices with a low level of symmetry. In these cases, the amount of storage saved may not outweigh the additional computational costs of using skyline storage.

5. Is skyline storage commonly used in scientific computing?

Yes, skyline storage is a popular method for storing symmetrical matrices in scientific computing. It is frequently used in finite element analysis, structural engineering, and other fields where symmetrical matrices are common.