Six group point kinetic equation

In summary, the conversation is about seeking help with the numerical solution of six group point kinetic equations for a subcritical reactor with a step reactivity change. The equations involve one-group diffusion with six delayed groups and a constant extra source. The goal is to find the numerical six group solution using the Runge-Kutta method. Some participants have experience with solving these equations while others are asking for help and advice.
caldus2311
Hello.

I would be very thankful with some help with the numerical solution of the six group point kinetic equations, with the constant reactivity (step change).

I would like to do this with the Mathematica.

Thanks.

Dusan

Engineering news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any experience with numerical solution of the 6 group point kinetic equation, with the step reactivity change?

Anyone?

Thanks.

Dose the solution involve one-group diffusion with 6 delayed groups, so that one is solving the one group neutron diffusion equation and 6 equations for each group of precursors? Presumably the reactivity is between 0 and beta?

I've solved the inhour equation and one group w/ one delyed, but that was 25 years ago, so I may be slow on this.

What equations are you using?

Hello.

I am trying to solve the following 7 equations:
dn(t)/dt=ρ-β/l n(t)+∑6i=1 λiCi+Q0/l

dCi(t)/dt= βi* n(t)/l- λiCi.

Where Q0 is constant extra source with neutrons per second.

Lets say that I have the subcritical reactor with the reactivity ρ=-0.0526, which corresponds to k=0,95 (multiplication factor).

Now I increase the reactivity to ρ=-0.04167 (step reactivity change), which corresponds to k=0,96.

What is the n(t) in 6 group approximation.

I already made the analytical solution with one group approximation and now I am trying to find the numerical six group solution. Most probably I will do this with Runge-Kutta method. I just wanted to ask if there is someone with any experiences?

Thanks

Runge-Kutta is the standard approach to solving these couple diff EQs.

Related to Six group point kinetic equation

What is the Six Group Point Kinetic Equation?

The Six Group Point Kinetic Equation is a mathematical model used to describe the time-dependent behavior of nuclear reactors. It takes into account the neutron population, reactivity, and decay of fission products to predict the reactor's response to changes in operating conditions.

How is the Six Group Point Kinetic Equation derived?

The Six Group Point Kinetic Equation is derived from the point kinetic model, which simplifies the behavior of a nuclear reactor into six neutron groups based on their energy levels. This model assumes that all neutrons within a group behave similarly and that the neutron population in each group is constant.

What are the assumptions made in the Six Group Point Kinetic Equation?

The Six Group Point Kinetic Equation makes several assumptions, including a constant neutron velocity, a homogenous reactor core, and that all neutrons are born at the same time. It also assumes that the reactivity feedback effects are linear and that the fission product decay rates are constant.

What is the significance of the Six Group Point Kinetic Equation in nuclear engineering?

The Six Group Point Kinetic Equation is a fundamental tool used in the analysis and design of nuclear reactors. It provides valuable insights into the dynamic behavior of reactors and is essential for predicting their response to changes in operating conditions. It is also used in reactor control systems to maintain safe and stable operation.

How accurate is the Six Group Point Kinetic Equation?

The accuracy of the Six Group Point Kinetic Equation depends on the specific assumptions made and the complexity of the reactor being modeled. In simple reactors, it can provide reasonably accurate results, but in more complex systems, it may require additional corrections or modifications. Its accuracy also depends on the accuracy of the input parameters, such as reactivity feedback coefficients and fission product decay rates.