Simple Complex number problem,

In summary, we discussed three questions involving complex numbers and their real and imaginary parts. The first question involved finding a complex number z=2 with a real z^2. The second question required finding the value of x for a given complex number z=2x+xi with a real z^2-4i. The third question involved showing that a complex number z with a real z/(z-i) is imaginary.
UnD
just having a problem with these 3 questions.
z E C such that I am z=2 and z^2 is real find z
well from my knowledge, it's will be x+2i, z^2 is (x^2 -4) + 4xi, since I am z= 2
then 4xi= 2? doesn't it, Umm don't really know what to do next

2nd questions
z E C such that Re z= 2Im z, and z^2 -4i is real, find x.
Umm don't have a clue on this one

Also 1 more
z EC such that z/(z-i) is real, show that z is imaginary

Thanks very much if you can help

Physics news on Phys.org
UnD said:
just having a problem with these 3 questions.
z E C such that I am z=2 and z^2 is real find z
well from my knowledge, it's will be x+2i, z^2 is (x^2 -4) + 4xi, since I am z= 2
then 4xi= 2? doesn't it, Umm don't really know what to do next
No, it's the imaginary part of z that is 2, not z2. Knowing that z2 is real tells you that Im(z2)= 0.

2nd questions
z E C such that Re z= 2Im z, and z^2 -4i is real, find x.
Umm don't have a clue on this one
z= 2x+ xi= x(2+ i). z2= x2(4+ 2i- 1)= x2(3+ 2i) so z2- 4i= 3x2+ (2x2- 4)i.
If z2- 4i is real, then the imaginary part of that is 0.

Also 1 more
z EC such that z/(z-i) is real, show that z is imaginary
Thanks very much if you can help

The standard way of dealing with fractions is to multiply numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate of the denominator. Here that would be z*+ i (z* being the complex conjugate of z). Remembering that z(z*)= |z|2, a real number, what condition on z makes z/(z-i) real?

Or, again, write z= x+iy so that z*+i= x- yi+ i= x+ (1-y)i.

Thanks, Still having a bit of problem with question 1 and 2. If you could explain again, It would be great.

For 1: start with the general z = x+iy. Taking the imaginary part and lettting it equal 2 will solve one of the two unknowns directly. Then z², take the imaginary part of it, let it equal 0 this time, since it has to be purely real.

Use a similar strategy for 2, but HallsofIvy already did most of the work for you. What part don't you understand?

Related to Simple Complex number problem,

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that are composed of both a real part and an imaginary part, expressed in the form a + bi, where a is the real part and bi is the imaginary part. The imaginary part is represented by the letter i, which is equal to the square root of -1.

2. What is a simple complex number problem?

A simple complex number problem is a mathematical problem that involves basic operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division) with complex numbers. An example of a simple complex number problem is adding 3 + 2i to 5 + 4i.

3. How do you add or subtract complex numbers?

To add or subtract complex numbers, you simply add or subtract the real parts and the imaginary parts separately. For example, to add 3 + 2i to 5 + 4i, you would add 3 and 5 to get the real part, and add 2i and 4i to get the imaginary part, resulting in 8 + 6i.

4. How do you multiply or divide complex numbers?

To multiply complex numbers, you use the FOIL method (First, Outer, Inner, Last). This means you multiply the first terms, then the outer terms, then the inner terms, and finally the last terms. To divide complex numbers, you use the complex conjugate, which is the same as the original complex number but with the sign of the imaginary part changed. You then multiply the numerator and denominator by the complex conjugate, which eliminates the imaginary part in the denominator.

5. Why are complex numbers important?

Complex numbers are important because they allow us to solve equations that do not have real solutions, such as the square root of a negative number. They also have many applications in science, engineering, and mathematics, including in the study of electricity and magnetism, signal processing, and quantum mechanics.