Silvaco TCAD question -- adding texturing

• Thread starter Sayf-alawneh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    silvaco
In summary: My question was clearly about texturing i... on the front surface of a solar cell using silvaco tcad, so if i add texturing at the beginning of the device structure, will that be enough or will athena also be needed?
Sayf-alawneh
Hello every one , am new to silvaco tcad and my question is how i can texture a solar cell , can it be done in atlas and how
Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sayf-alawneh said:
Hello every one , am new to silvaco tcad and my question is how i can texture a solar cell , can it be done in atlas and how
Regards
Welcome to PF.

What do you mean about adding texture to a solar cell? What kind of a simulation are you doing?

Here are the search results at the Silvaco website for Solar Cell -- are any of those hits useful?

https://silvaco.com/solutions/optical/
CCD, solar cells, lasers and silicon photonics can be designed using Silvaco’s TCAD suite. Optical simulation including mode solver and laser whispering gallery mode can be used to simulate the interaction between the silicon and the light that is produced or absorbed.

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

What do you mean about adding texture to a solar cell? What kind of a simulation are you doing?

Here are the search results at the Silvaco website for Solar Cell -- are any of those hits useful?
Helle berkeman, thanks for your reply

Am trying to simulate an IBC solar cell, i understand the structure and operation of the solar cell and am trying to simulate the IBC solar cell using silvaco, i am new to silvaco atlas so tried to watch youtube videos but the content is not good enough

I started by atlas to make the structure of the solar cell, mesh regions grids... etc
But now i need to texture the surface of the solar cell and i don't know how...
Will i need athena for the texturing or texturing can be done somehow using atlad only?

To be honest am very confused is atlas enough or athena enough or both will be needed to simulate the structure and outpot of a solar cell
Sorry for the too many questions but am lost here sir 😔

berkeman said:
What i mean is that in silvaco deckbuild there is a syntax dialogue, is there an option there that allows me to add texturing to the solar cell such that pyramids and their parameters such as angle depth... etc

Sayf-alawneh said:
How to texture the front surface of a solar cell in deckbuild?
Can you show us your work up until the point where you want to add texturing to the front surface of the solar cell? You are wanting to simulate the loss of efficiency with different textures on that front surface, right?

berkeman said:
Can you show us your work up until the point where you want to add texturing to the front surface of the solar cell? You are wanting to simulate the loss of efficiency with different textures on that front surface, right?
Hi berkeman, not right, am trying to simulate an IBC solar cell using silvaco then ill study the efficiency of the solar cell with many variables such as grid thickness, nunber of grids, emitter thickness... etc
So i am currently having no code since texturing is something added at the beginning in the device structure 😔
I can find no help man am stuck since days

Sayf-alawneh said:
Hi berkeman, not right, am trying to simulate an IBC solar cell using silvaco then ill study the efficiency of the solar cell with many variables such as grid thickness, nunber of grids, emitter thickness... etc
So i am currently having no code since texturing is something added at the beginning in the device structure 😔
I can find no help man am stuck since days
That makes no sense. It's starting to sound like you want others to set up the simulation for you. Any texturing to the front surface of the solar cell to calculate the lowering of the efficiency would be a second order effect that you would address after you have your initial simulations running and want to see what the decrease in efficiency is.

Please post your current simulations with a flat solar cell surface or this thread will be closed.

berkeman said:
That makes no sense. It's starting to sound like you want others to set up the simulation for you. Any texturing to the front surface of the solar cell to calculate the lowering of the efficiency would be a second order effect that you would address after you have your initial simulations running and want to see what the decrease in efficiency is.

Please post your current simulations with a flat solar cell surface or this thread will be closed.
My question was clearly about texturing i havnt asked anyone to set the simulation for me, any ways thank you, you can close the thread.

Related to Silvaco TCAD question -- adding texturing

1. What is texturing in Silvaco TCAD?

Texturing in Silvaco TCAD refers to the process of adding a pattern or texture to a material or device structure. This can be done for various purposes, such as improving light absorption in solar cells or enhancing surface roughness for better adhesion in microelectronic devices.

2. How can I add texturing in Silvaco TCAD?

To add texturing in Silvaco TCAD, you can use the "Texture" command in the device editor. This allows you to specify the type of texture (e.g. random, periodic, etc.), the size and shape of the texture, and the material properties to be affected by the texture.

3. Can texturing affect device performance in Silvaco TCAD?

Yes, texturing can have a significant impact on device performance in Silvaco TCAD. For example, in solar cells, texturing can increase light absorption and therefore improve efficiency. In microelectronic devices, texturing can affect surface roughness and adhesion, which can impact device reliability and performance.

4. Are there any limitations to texturing in Silvaco TCAD?

Yes, there are some limitations to texturing in Silvaco TCAD. For example, the texture size and shape may be limited by the resolution of the simulation grid. Additionally, the effects of texturing may not be accurately captured in certain simulation models, so it is important to carefully select the appropriate model for your device.

5. Can I simulate the effects of texturing in Silvaco TCAD?

Yes, you can simulate the effects of texturing in Silvaco TCAD by running simulations with and without texturing and comparing the results. This can help you understand the impact of texturing on device performance and optimize your design for better results.