Silly question about quantum gravity

In summary, according to the author, there exists a fundamental length scale given by the Planck length at which GR and in particular local Lorentz invariance breaks. However, according to the author, we can define a resonable length scale only if we assume beforehand that Lorentz invariance is broken. Otherwise how would it be possible to define any spatial distance scale if all observers were put on equal footing (Lorentz-FitzGerald contraction)?
paweld
It is generally belived that there exists fundamental length scale given by the Planck length
at which GR and in particular local Lorentz invariance breaks. But accoring to me
we can define a resonable length scale only if we assume beforehand that Lorentz
invariance is broken. Otherwise how would it be possible to define any spatial
distance scale if all observers were put on equal footing (Lorentz–FitzGerald contraction)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think that an "emergent" minimal length or "quantized spacetime" necessarily break Lorentz invariance. Quantized angular momentum doesn't break rotational symmetry, either.

tom.stoer said:
I don't think that an "emergent" minimal length or "quantized spacetime" necessarily break Lorentz invariance. Quantized angular momentum doesn't break rotational symmetry, either.

would it make a difference if the minimum length was .2 proton size

as far as I understand the relevant math - no

The relation (Planck lengt/Compton wave length) shows the spacetime curvature in General Relativity, gravitational time dilation and relation gravitational/electromagnetic force. The Compton wave length represents a quantum information and Planck length represents length contraction and time dilation of each relation between quantum information. It shows also the Holographic Principle relation.

We may measure the Compton wave length and Planck length is very precisely calculated constant. Only this precise value gives the observed results in General Relativity.

After reading the introduction of Rovelli paper I still don't understand intuitivelly why
quantization of area might be compatible with Lorentz invariance (probably it's better
to speak about quantization of area then lenght). Firstly I'm not sure if I properly
grasp the idea of area operator. If this is an observable what element of physical reality
it coresonds to? Can I think of its eigenvector as a (three-dimensional) chunk of space
with well defined area of its (two-dimensional) surfaces? [I imagine a spin
network which this operator acts on as a collection of chunks of space - to do it I
have to beforehand split spacetime into space and time; this split is directly related to
the choice of observer]. If yes let's imagine the following situation: we have two observers.
For each of them the hypersurface of constant time consists of very small
lumps (which cannot be divide any more). The first observer sees the macroscopic
obcject at rest, measures its area and obtains huge number (in comparison to Planck scale).
In the reference frame of the second observer this object move very fast and
the area of its surfaces parallel to the direction of motion is comparable with Planck area.
In order to describe the motion of an object the second observer has to take into
account the quantization of space whilst the first one supposedly hasn't. How to
reconcile this?

From intuitive point of view it would be better if values of some covariant quantities
were quantized (e.g. scalar curvature). Otherwise for me it's difficult to tell in what
regime the quantum effects shuld be taken into account.

Have you ever studied canonical quantization of gauge theories?

In a theory with local gauge invariance (QCD with SU(3)) gauge fixing is something like constraining the Hilbert space to the gauge-singlet sector. But in the singlet-sector the gauge trf. acts as the identity. In that sense LQG is locally Lorentz-invariant

Neither GR nor LQG have global Lorentz invariance in general - only in certain sectors / solutions.

Related to Silly question about quantum gravity

1. What is quantum gravity?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that attempts to unify the theories of general relativity (which describes gravity at a large scale) and quantum mechanics (which describes the behavior of particles at a small scale).

2. Why is quantum gravity important?

Quantum gravity is important because it can potentially provide a more complete understanding of the fundamental forces of nature and the behavior of the universe at all scales. It also has implications for our understanding of black holes and the beginning of the universe.

3. How is quantum gravity different from classical gravity?

Classical gravity, as described by Newton's law of gravitation and Einstein's theory of general relativity, treats gravity as a force between objects with mass. Quantum gravity, on the other hand, attempts to describe gravity in terms of quantum fields and particles.

4. Is quantum gravity a proven theory?

No, quantum gravity is still a theoretical framework and has not yet been proven through experimental evidence. However, there are ongoing experiments and research efforts to try and validate the predictions of quantum gravity.

5. What are the challenges in developing a theory of quantum gravity?

The main challenge in developing a theory of quantum gravity is reconciling the principles of general relativity and quantum mechanics, which have very different mathematical frameworks. Additionally, there is currently a lack of experimental evidence to guide the development of a theory of quantum gravity.