SHO ladder operators & some hamiltonian commutator relations

In summary, the problem involves finding the commutators of the SHO to their simplest form, including [a_{-}, a_{-}a_{+}] and [a_{+},a_{-}a_{+}], as well as [x,H] and [p,H]. The first commutator simplifies to just a_{-}, while the second can be solved using the product rule. The remaining commutators involve finding the commutators of H, p, and x.
Hakkinen

Homework Statement

For the SHO, find these commutators to their simplest form:
[itex] [a_{-}, a_{-}a_{+}] [/itex]
[itex]
[a_{+},a_{-}a_{+}]
[/itex]
[itex]
[x,H]
[/itex]
[itex]
[p,H]
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I though this would be an easy problem but I am stuck on the first two parts. Here's what I did at first:
[itex]
[a_{-}, a_{-}a_{+}]\psi = a_{-}(n+1)\psi_{n} - a_{-}n\psi_{n} = a_{-}\psi_{n}
[/itex]
[itex]
= \sqrt{n}\psi_{n-1}
[/itex]

[itex]
[a_{+}, a_{-}a_{+}]\psi = a_{+}(n+1)\psi_{n} - a_{-}a_{+}\sqrt{n+1}\psi_{n+1}
[/itex]
[itex]
= (n+1)^{3/2}\psi_{n+1} - (n+1)^{3/2}\psi_{n+1} = 0
[/itex]Now what I am confused about is the [itex]\psi_{n-1}[/itex] term in the first commutator. Surely there is a general form of the commutator without the test wavefunction? And I can't just drop this term and have root of n as the result. So did I do something wrong?

I tried the first part again using the explicit form of the ladder operators, in terms of H, p, x, with all of the constants. What I have gotten so far looks quite messy and involves [itex] [p,H] [/itex] and [itex] [x,H] [/itex], which I've yet to compute and are the last two parts of the problem... So it seems this route is not the easiest?

Any assistance is appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Duh! The first answer is just [itex] a_{-}[/itex]

And I didnt realize you could just use the "product rule" for commutators to simplify the algebra a bit!

All set now

Related to SHO ladder operators & some hamiltonian commutator relations

1. What are SHO ladder operators?

SHO (Simple Harmonic Oscillator) ladder operators are mathematical operators used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels and transitions of a harmonic oscillator system. They are represented by the symbols a and a† and are related to the position and momentum operators of the system.

2. How do SHO ladder operators work?

SHO ladder operators work by acting on a quantum state of an oscillator system to change its energy level. The a† operator raises the energy level by one unit, while the a operator lowers the energy level by one unit. They follow specific commutation and anti-commutation relations, which determine the behavior of the system.

3. What are some examples of SHO ladder operators?

Some examples of SHO ladder operators are the creation and annihilation operators for the quantum harmonic oscillator, also known as the quantum harmonic oscillator ladder operators. These are represented by the symbols a and a†, respectively, and are commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the energy levels of simple harmonic oscillator systems.

4. What are some Hamiltonian commutator relations for SHO ladder operators?

The Hamiltonian commutator relations for SHO ladder operators are [a, a†] = 1 and [a, a] = [a†, a†] = 0. These relations show that the ladder operators do not commute with each other but have a commutator value of 1, while they commute with their own hermitian conjugate.

5. How are SHO ladder operators and Hamiltonian related?

SHO ladder operators and Hamiltonian are related through the commutator relations [H, a] = -ωa and [H, a†] = ωa†. These relations show that the Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of a system, commutes with the ladder operators and thus is used to calculate the energy eigenvalues of the system.