Self-similarity of nonlinear PDE

In summary, the student assumed a self-similar solution of the form h(x,t) = t^αf(xt^β), and then obtained a solution for f(xt^β) as f(xt^β) = (xt^β)^γ. However, the student has not been able to figure out where they went wrong, and may need to review their notes and textbooks.
Raisa
Hi everyone,

I am a student in Mechanical Engineering and I am currently working on an assignment where I am exploiting the possibility of self-similarity for a PDE of a given problem. The PDE in my assignment consists of two independent variables (x for space and t for time), and one dependent variable h(x,t). The PDE is quite simple, however, my self-similar solution still contains the variable t. I have really spent a lot of time on trying to figure out where I went wrong in solving the problem but I cannot figure it out. I have summarized my solution method here: View attachment 6412

Does anyone have tips on how to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Similarity Solutions.pdf
    73.2 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
1. I assumed a self-similar solution of the form h(x,t) = t^αf(xt^β). 2. Substituting this into the PDE, I obtained a differential equation in f(xt^β). 3. Solving for f(xt^β), I got the solution as f(xt^β) = (xt^β)^γ, where γ is a constant. 4. Then, I substituted this back into the self-similar solution and got h(x,t) = t^α(xt^β)^γ. 5. Finally, I solved for α and β by comparing the exponents of both sides of the equation.It looks like you have done everything correctly, so there must be an error in your assumptions or calculations. One way to check this is to plug your solution into the original PDE and see if it satisfies the equation. If it does not, then you know something is wrong. If it does, then you should double check your calculations to make sure everything is correct. You could also try solving the PDE directly without making any assumptions. This could help to confirm that your self-similar solution is valid. You can use numerical methods to solve the PDE, such as the finite difference method or the finite element method. Finally, it may help to go over your notes and textbooks again to make sure you understand the concepts and methods you are using. Good luck!

Related to Self-similarity of nonlinear PDE

What is self-similarity in the context of nonlinear PDEs?

Self-similarity refers to the property of a system or equation to exhibit similar patterns or structures at different scales. In the context of nonlinear PDEs, this means that the solution to the equation remains unchanged when the variables are scaled by a certain factor.

Why is self-similarity important in the study of nonlinear PDEs?

Self-similarity allows for a deeper understanding of the behavior of nonlinear PDEs, as it reveals underlying patterns and symmetries within the equations. It also allows for the development of efficient numerical methods for solving these equations.

What are some examples of self-similarity in nonlinear PDEs?

One example is the self-similar solution to the Burgers' equation, which exhibits a shock wave that remains unchanged when scaled by a certain factor. Another example is the self-similar solution to the Korteweg-de Vries equation, which describes the propagation of solitary waves.

How is self-similarity used in the analysis of nonlinear PDEs?

Self-similarity is often used to reduce the dimensionality of a nonlinear PDE, making it easier to solve. It can also be used to classify different types of solutions and to study the stability of these solutions.

What are some challenges in studying self-similarity of nonlinear PDEs?

One challenge is finding the appropriate scaling factor for a given equation, as this can greatly affect the behavior of the solution. Another challenge is determining the existence and uniqueness of self-similar solutions, which can be difficult in some cases.