Seeking Experienced Q-Series Professionals

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was about q-series and their interesting properties, including their relation to prime numbers and zeta functions. The discussion also touched on the difficulty of understanding the work of mathematician Ramanujan, who had a unique intuition for these concepts. The conversation also included a request for help with understanding notations and a proof involving q-series. The proof was provided using the q-binomial theorem and the L'Hospital rule. In the end, the limit was found to be equal to (1-x)^a.
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
Anybody with q-series experience ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:
Anybody with q-series experience ?
I had to deal with them when working with compact quantum groups. What sort of experience were you looking for?

Great !

I am looking for a proof for the following

\(\displaystyle \frac{(-b)_{\infty}}{(a)_{\infty}} = \sum_{k \geq 0} \frac{\left(-b/a\right)_k} {(q)_k} a^k \)

ZaidAlyafey said:
Great !

I am looking for a proof for the following

\(\displaystyle \frac{(-b)_{\infty}}{(a)_{\infty}} = \sum_{k \geq 0} \frac{\left(-b/a\right)_k} {(q)_k} a^k \)
That looks like a variation on the q-binomial theorem. Have you looked for a proof in Gasper and Rahman?

Thanks for the link , I really really appreciate it. I thought that q-series are interesting it reminds me of the famous relation between prime numbers and zeta function due to Euler . I was reading the NoteBook by Ramnujan and I was amazed by the vast results related to Hypergeometric functions which are a special case of q-series . I was hoping to read about the Jacobi theta function but I thought it would be better to start by q-series.

By the way Opalg , do you think it is a hard thing to deal with because I was depressed to see how Ramanujan worked with these stuff and I was like what is that !

ZaidAlyafey said:
By the way Opalg , do you think it is a hard thing to deal with because I was depressed to see how Ramanujan worked with these stuff and I was like what is that !
Please don't expect to understand everything that Ramanujan could do! That way madness lies. (Tmi)

There are results that Ramanujan somehow apprehended by intuition, that even today cannot be proved although they appear to be true, and nobody knows how he arrived at them. He must have had some quite unique insight that probably even he could not have explained.

Hey , I am confused about the notations !

\(\displaystyle (a)_k = a(a+1)(a+2) \cdots (a+k-1)\)

\(\displaystyle (a)_k =(a;q)_k = \prod_{n=0}^{k-1} (1-aq^n)\)

The latter defines a base $q$ .

ZaidAlyafey said:
Hey , I am confused about the notations !

\(\displaystyle (a)_k = a(a+1)(a+2) \cdots (a+k-1)\)

\(\displaystyle (a)_k =(a;q)_k = \prod_{n=0}^{k-1} (1-aq^n)\)

The latter defines a base $q$ .
I was assuming that $(a)_k$ was an abbreviation for $(a;q)_k$ (as here, for example), with the $q$ not explicitly mentioned. But I could well be wrong.

How to prove the following

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1}\frac{(a;q)_{\infty}}{(aq^x;q)_{\infty}}= (1-a)^x \)

It is kind of easy to prove it for $x\in \mathbb{Z}^+$

To simplify for those how don't understand the notations

\(\displaystyle (a;q)_{\infty}= \prod_{k=0}(1-aq^k)\)

Similarilry we have

\(\displaystyle (aq^x;q)_{\infty}= \prod_{k=0}(1-aq^{k+x})\)

So we have to prove that

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1}\prod_{k=0} \frac{1-aq^k}{1-aq^{k+x}} = (1-a)^ x\)

Any clue ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
How to prove the following

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1}\frac{(a;q)_{\infty}}{(aq^x;q)_{\infty}}= (1-a)^x \)

It is kind of easy to prove it for $x\in \mathbb{Z}^+$

Ok , I think I got it , this is a simple consequence of the q-binomial theorem

Consider the following

\(\displaystyle {}_1\phi_0 (a;- ;q,z) = \sum_{k\geq 0}\frac{(a;q)_k}{(q;q)_k}z^k=\frac{(az;q)_{\infty}}{(z;q)_{\infty}}\) (1)

In (1) let $a = q^{x}$ and $z = a$

\(\displaystyle {}_1\phi_0 (q^x;- ;q,a) = \sum_{k\geq 0}\frac{(q^x;q)_k}{(q;q)_k}a^k=\frac{(aq^{x};q)_ {\infty} }{(a;q)_{\infty}}\)

Hence we have

\(\displaystyle \frac{(aq^{x};q)_{\infty}}{(a;q)_{\infty}}= \sum_{k\geq 0}\frac{(q^x;q)_k}{(q;q)_k}a^k\)

Now consider the limit

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1}\frac{(aq^{x};q)_{\infty}}{(a;q)_{\infty}}= \lim_{q \to 1} \sum_{k\geq 0}\frac{(q^x;q)_k}{(q;q)_k}a^k\)(2)

Suppose that \(\displaystyle |a|<1\) and \(\displaystyle |q|<1\) so the sum is uniformly convergent on any sub-disk . So we have to approach $1$ from the left to stay in the disk !

The idea is use the L'Hospitale rule

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1^-}\frac{(q^x;q)_k}{(q;q)_k} = \lim_{q \to 1^-} \frac{(1-q^x)\cdot (1-q^{x+1}) \cdot(1-q^{x+2}) \cdots (1-q^{x+k-1}) }{(1-q)\cdot(1-q^2)\cdot(1-q^3) \cdots(1-q^k)}\)

which can be written as

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1^-}\frac{(q^x;q)_k}{(q;q)_k} = \lim_{q \to 1^-} \frac{(1-q^x)}{1-q}\cdot \lim_{q \to 1^-}\frac{(1-q^{x+1})}{1-q^2} \cdot \lim_{q \to 1} \frac{(1-q^{x+2})}{1-q^3} \cdots \lim_{q \to 1^-} \frac{(1-q^{x+k-1}) }{(1-q^k)}\)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1^-}\frac{(q^x;q)_k}{(q;q)_k} = \frac{x (x+1)(x+2)\cdots (x+k-1)}{1\cdot 2 \cdot 3 \cdots k} = \frac{(x)_k}{k!} \)

Substitute in (2)

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1^-}\frac{(aq^{x};q)_{\infty}}{(a;q)_{\infty}}= \sum_{k\geq 0}\frac{(x)_k}{k!}a^k\)

The sum on the right is well-know $(1-x)^{-a}$

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1^-}\frac{(aq^{x};q)_{\infty}}{(a;q)_{\infty}}= (1-x)^{-a} \) (3)

From (3) we conclude that

\(\displaystyle \lim_{q \to 1^-}\frac{(a;q)_{\infty}}{ (aq^{x};q)_{\infty}}= (1-x)^{a} \)

Last edited:

Related to Seeking Experienced Q-Series Professionals

1. What is the purpose of seeking experienced Q-Series professionals?

The purpose of seeking experienced Q-Series professionals is to find individuals with specialized knowledge and skills in the Q-Series software, which is used for data analysis and simulation in various scientific fields.

2. What qualifications are required for Q-Series professionals?

The qualifications for Q-Series professionals typically include a degree in a relevant field such as mathematics, statistics, or computer science, as well as experience using the Q-Series software and knowledge of statistical analysis and data modeling.

3. What industries or fields typically require Q-Series professionals?

Q-Series professionals are often sought after in industries such as finance, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, and market research, where data analysis and simulation are crucial for making informed decisions and predictions.

4. What are some common tasks or responsibilities of Q-Series professionals?

Some common tasks and responsibilities of Q-Series professionals include data manipulation and cleaning, creating statistical models, performing simulations, and interpreting and presenting results to stakeholders.

5. How can I gain experience with Q-Series?

You can gain experience with Q-Series by taking courses or workshops offered by the software company, completing online tutorials and exercises, or working on projects that involve data analysis and simulation using Q-Series. You can also showcase your skills and experience through certifications or by including relevant projects on your resume.