Sanity check for earth launched moon pod

• Thread starter sammorgan101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth Moon
In summary, the conversation is about a moon pod idea and the speaker is seeking feedback on the math and basic concept. The other person provides corrections on the factual numbers and suggests that the idea is similar to a space elevator. They also mention that the tower would have to be extremely tall to achieve escape velocity and suggest looking into space elevators further. The original speaker thanks them for the corrections and clarifies that they were just experimenting with propulsion.
sammorgan101
Hi I've been scratching my head late into the night, and come up with some ideas for a moon pod, I could use a sanity check on the maths and basic idea. Very interested to hear feedback. Post comments here or on my blog...

http://wellybob.blogspot.com/2012/01/travel-to-moon.html

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Your factual numbers are off by an order of magnitude. I assume "M" is metres.
Distance to Moon is 360,000,000 metres, not 36000000M. Radius of Earth is 6,353,000 metres not 635300M.

The speed at Earth's surface is 447m/s, not 46m/s.

Earth's escape velocity is 11,200m/s - a little higher than the 49m/s you calculated you'd achieve.

And you've done all this to gain a 6% increase in velocity - from 46m/s to 49m/s. Is it worth it?
Finally, what you're making is a junior version of a space elevator without the top half. Considering your tower would have to be 35,000 km tall to have its top achieve orbit, it will have to be even more ridiculously tall to gain enough speed to break orbit to go the Moon.

Seriously, look up space elevators.
But other than that, it looks great! Where do I book! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Thanks for the corrections, was done after a few whiskeys last night. Yes I saw the space elevator a while ago, very interesting, this was more a thought experiment in propulsion. Is the escape velocity that you quote from the surface? That's the next bit I need to look into.

Thanks Dave

sammorgan101 said:
Is the escape velocity that you quote from the surface?
It is, and yes the escape velocity drops with altitude but the problem is that, with your method, you don't each reach geosync orbit without a tower that is 35,000 km tall, let alone escape velocity.

It is physically impossible to build a tower that tall. Thus, the space elevator.

for any feedback!

I would first like to commend you for your curiosity and dedication to exploring new ideas. It is through questioning and testing our ideas that we make progress in scientific discovery. However, I must caution that before launching any object into space, it is crucial to thoroughly test and validate all calculations and designs to ensure the safety and success of the mission.

I highly recommend seeking the expertise and input of experienced engineers and scientists in the field of space travel to review and provide feedback on your moon pod concept. Additionally, conducting thorough simulations and experiments can help identify any potential flaws or areas that may need further refinement.

In the pursuit of scientific progress, it is important to always approach new ideas with an open mind and a critical eye, constantly seeking feedback and improvements. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors and look forward to seeing the results of your hard work.

Related to Sanity check for earth launched moon pod

1. What is a sanity check for an earth launched moon pod?

A sanity check for an earth launched moon pod is a series of tests and evaluations performed to ensure that all systems and components of the pod are functioning properly and meet safety standards before launching it into space.

2. Why is a sanity check important for an earth launched moon pod?

A sanity check is important for an earth launched moon pod because it helps to identify any potential issues or malfunctions that could jeopardize the success of the mission or the safety of the crew onboard.

3. What are some components that are typically included in a sanity check for an earth launched moon pod?

Components that are typically included in a sanity check for an earth launched moon pod include the propulsion system, life support systems, communication systems, navigation systems, and structural integrity of the pod.

4. Who is responsible for conducting a sanity check for an earth launched moon pod?

The responsibility for conducting a sanity check for an earth launched moon pod falls on the team of engineers and scientists who designed and built the pod. They work closely with astronauts and other experts to ensure that all aspects of the pod are thoroughly tested and verified.

5. How long does a sanity check for an earth launched moon pod typically take?

The duration of a sanity check for an earth launched moon pod can vary depending on the complexity and size of the pod. It can take anywhere from a few days to several weeks to complete all the necessary checks and evaluations.