Relativistic Momentum Derivation Help

In summary: James?In summary, the conversation is about understanding the derivation of relativistic momentum using the velocity addition formulae. The participants discuss the collision of two identical particles in different frames and apply conservation of momentum to find the mass of each particle. With the help of a clear explanation from one of the participants, the original poster is able to understand the concept better.
jimbobian
Hi everyone. So basically I am still struggling to find a description of the derivation of relativistic momentum (via relativistic mass) which explains itself properly (although that may be my fault for not understanding). So, I tried doing it with help from Feynman and can't work out what I'm doing wrong. It starts with a collision of two identical particles which, from what I've seen, seems to be the standard way to go:

[URL]http://www.cassiobury.net/images/momentum_diagram.jpg[/URL]

I'm also using the velocity addition formulae which were derived in the previous chapter:
\begin{align}
& v_x = \frac{v'_x+u}{1+uv'_x/c^2}\\
& v_y = \frac{v'_y\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}{1+uv'_x/c^2}\\
\end{align}
And the reverse:
\begin{align}
& v'_x = \frac{v_x-u}{1-uv_x/c^2}\\
& v'_y = \frac{v_y\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}{1-uv_x/c^2}\\
\end{align}
So, from the unprimed frame it is clear that:
\begin{align}
& v_{xA} = 0\\
\end{align}
Also let:
\begin{align}
& v_{yA} = w\\
\end{align}
Therefore:
\begin{align}
& v'_{xA} = \frac{0-u}{1-0/c^2}\\
& v'_{xA} = -u\\
& v'_{yA} = \frac{w\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}{1-0/c^2}\\
& v'_{yA} = w\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}
\end{align}
As the velocity of B is simply the opposite of A:
\begin{align}
& v'_{xB} = u\\
& v'_{yB} = -w\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}
\end{align}
Therefore, using the velocity addition formulae:
\begin{align}
& v_{xB} = \frac{2u}{1+u^2/c^2}\\
& v_{yB} = \frac{-w(1-u^2/c^2)}{1+u^2/c^2}\\
\end{align}
If we say that the mass of each particle is some function of its velocity and denote the velocity of B as v (as that of A is clearly w) then, by conservation of momentum:
\begin{align}
& 2m_ww = -\frac{-2m_vw(1-u^2/c^2)}{1+u^2/c^2}\\
& m_w = \frac{m_v(1-u^2/c^2)}{1+u^2/c^2}\\
\end{align}
Now according ot Mr Feynman what I should be getting is:
\begin{align}
& \frac{m_w}{m_v}\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2} = 1
\end{align}
Can somebody please either point out a mistake in my reasoning/understanding, or tell me why it hasn't worked.

Thanks,
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
jimbobian said:
So, from the unprimed frame it is clear that:
\begin{align}
& v'_{xA} = 0\\
\end{align}
Also let:
\begin{align}
& v'_{yA} = w\\
\end{align}
Therefore:
\begin{align}
& v'_{xA} = \frac{0-u}{1-0/c^2}\\
& v'_{xA} = -u\\
& v'_{yA} = \frac{w\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}{1-0/c^2}\\
& v'_{yA} = w\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}
\end{align}

I can't follow what you wrote. You're using the same symbol for velocities in two different frames.

elfmotat said:
I can't follow what you wrote. You're using the same symbol for velocities in two different frames.

Sorry my mistake, the first two should be unprimed. I will edit my OP.

If I remember that chapter correctly, he first analyzes the collision from the frame where the x-component of A's velocity is zero, then he analyzes it from the frame where the x-component of B's velocity is zero.

I'll call the vertical component of A's velocity [itex]w[/itex] (as you did) in the frame where (calling the velocity of A in this frame [itex]v_A[/itex] and B's velocity [itex]v_B[/itex]) [itex]v_{xA}=0[/itex]. In order to consider the conservation of momentum, you need to know [itex]v_{yB}[/itex] in this frame. Since in a third frame (the first one drawn in your diagram) the collisions are symmetrical, you know that if you were to go to a frame where the x-component of B's velocity is zero then the vertical component of A's velocity in this frame is equivalent in magnitude to [itex]v_{yB}[/itex] in the other frame:

[itex]v_{yB} = - v'_{yA}[/itex]

where [itex]v'_A[/itex] is the velocity of A in the frame where [itex]v'_{xB}=0[/itex]

Since you also know the law that transforms velocities in the y-direction:

[itex]v'_A = \frac{w \sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}{1+0/c^2} = w \sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}[/itex]

where [itex]u[/itex] is the velocity between the frames.Now you can apply conservation of momentum:

[itex]2m_w w = 2m_{v_B} w \sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}[/itex]

therefore:

[tex]m_{v_B} = \frac{m_w}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}[/tex]From there, I believe he let's [itex]w[/itex] go to zero. This gives [itex]m_w=m_0[/itex], and [itex]v_{yB} = 0[/itex]. Since the vertical component of [itex]v_B[/itex] is zero, the entire motion of B is horizontal. Since [itex]u[/itex] is defined as the velocity between this frame and the frame where the horizontal component of B's velocity is zero, [itex]v_{xB} = v_{B} = u[/itex]. This gives: [itex]m_{v_B}=m_u[/itex]. Finally, we arrive at:

[tex]m_{u} = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}[/tex]

elfmotat said:
If I remember that chapter correctly, he first analyzes the collision from the frame where the x-component of A's velocity is zero, then he analyzes it from the frame where the x-component of B's velocity is zero.

I'll call the vertical component of A's velocity [itex]w[/itex] (as you did) in the frame where (calling the velocity of A in this frame [itex]v_A[/itex] and B's velocity [itex]v_B[/itex]) [itex]v_{xA}=0[/itex]. In order to consider the conservation of momentum, you need to know [itex]v_{yB}[/itex] in this frame. Since in a third frame (the first one drawn in your diagram) the collisions are symmetrical, you know that if you were to go to a frame where the x-component of B's velocity is zero then the vertical component of A's velocity in this frame is equivalent in magnitude to [itex]v_{yB}[/itex] in the other frame:

[itex]v_{yB} = - v'_{yA}[/itex]

where [itex]v'_A[/itex] is the velocity of A in the frame where [itex]v'_{xB}=0[/itex]

Since you also know the law that transforms velocities in the y-direction:

[itex]v'_A = \frac{w \sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}{1+0/c^2} = w \sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}[/itex]

where [itex]u[/itex] is the velocity between the frames.

Now you can apply conservation of momentum:

[itex]2m_w w = 2m_{v_B} w \sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}[/itex]

therefore:

[tex]m_{v_B} = \frac{m_w}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}[/tex]

From there, I believe he let's [itex]w[/itex] go to zero. This gives [itex]m_w=m_0[/itex], and [itex]v_{yB} = 0[/itex]. Since the vertical component of [itex]v_B[/itex] is zero, the entire motion of B is horizontal. Since [itex]u[/itex] is defined as the velocity between this frame and the frame where the horizontal component of B's velocity is zero, [itex]v_{xB} = v_{B} = u[/itex]. This gives: [itex]m_{v_B}=m_u[/itex]. Finally, we arrive at:

[tex]m_{u} = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1-u^2/c^2}}[/tex]

Thank you so much. It seems so simple when it is explained in a way that just 'clicks'. Reading Feynman he usually has a knack of explaining it in such a way, but in this case it was your explanation that did it for me! Basically ignoring the intermediate frame (the first one in my diagram) is what helped me, because I kept losing track of what u was supposed to be! I am slightly confused about one thing which is: why did your post at first say it was by SuperString and then 20 minutes later elfmotat?

jimbobian said:
Thank you so much. It seems so simple when it is explained in a way that just 'clicks'. Reading Feynman he usually has a knack of explaining it in such a way, but in this case it was your explanation that did it for me! Basically ignoring the intermediate frame (the first one in my diagram) is what helped me, because I kept losing track of what u was supposed to be! I am slightly confused about one thing which is: why did your post at first say it was by SuperString and then 20 minutes later elfmotat?

No problem :). The reason it said that is because I made a new account (didn't like my old name), and for some reason the site randomly logs me in under that name sometimes. I didn't want the post showing up under that name, so I deleted it and re-posted it under this name.

elfmotat said:
No problem :). The reason it said that is because I made a new account (didn't like my old name), and for some reason the site randomly logs me in as Superstring. I didn't want the post showing up under that name, so I deleted it and re-posted it under this name.

Haha, I thought it might be something like that! It was just confusing getting two nearly identical emails from PF with different usernames!
Thanks again.

Related to Relativistic Momentum Derivation Help

1. What is relativistic momentum and how is it different from classical momentum?

Relativistic momentum is a concept in physics that takes into account the effects of special relativity on classical momentum. Unlike classical momentum, which is solely dependent on an object's mass and velocity, relativistic momentum also considers an object's speed relative to the speed of light.

2. How is relativistic momentum derived?

Relativistic momentum can be derived from the equation p = mv, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. However, this equation must be modified to account for the effects of special relativity, resulting in the equation p = γmv, where γ is the Lorentz factor.

3. What is the significance of the Lorentz factor in the relativistic momentum equation?

The Lorentz factor, represented by the symbol γ, is a key component in the relativistic momentum equation. It takes into account the time dilation and length contraction effects of special relativity, allowing for the calculation of momentum at high speeds approaching the speed of light.

4. Can you explain the concept of relativistic mass and how it relates to relativistic momentum?

Relativistic mass is a term used to describe the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light. This concept is closely related to relativistic momentum, as the increased mass also affects an object's momentum at high speeds. The equation for relativistic mass is m = m0/√(1-v2/c2), where m0 is the object's rest mass and c is the speed of light.

5. How does the concept of relativistic momentum impact our understanding of the behavior of particles at high speeds?

The concept of relativistic momentum is crucial in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds, such as those in particle accelerators. Without taking into account the effects of special relativity on momentum, our predictions and observations of the behavior of these particles would be inaccurate. Relativistic momentum also helps explain phenomena such as time dilation and the increase in an object's mass as it approaches the speed of light.