Reduction Orifice sizing for desired pressure drop

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance on sizing a reduction orifice to achieve a desired pressure drop for valve protection. They do not require a specific pressure drop as it is not for metering purposes. Necessary information such as pipe diameter, inlet pressure, desired outlet pressure, flow rate, and fluid type is provided. The individual is advised to consult valve catalogues for the best fit, as the discharge coefficient may not be readily available. A formula for sizing the orifice is also suggested.
smotta
Good afternoon,

I am trying to size a reduction orifice for a desired pressure drop. I do not need the drop to be specific, since this is just for valve protection and not for metering.

D1 (Pipe) = 2.5"
P1 = 125 PSI
P2 Required = 75-85 PSI
Q = 1020 gal/hr
Fluid = Water, 90 Deg F

Basically, I just need to know what size orifice I would need to, If possible, get the desired output pressure.

Thank you in advance, I hope I have provided the required information.

-S

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

it's not an easy question because you need some valve parameter such as the discharge coefficient, that sometimes is not provided. The best thing you could do is to check on catalogues you will get some graphs where you can get the right valve for your case.

Anyway, check in this link (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orifice_plate) the formula 2.

Cheers

Related to Reduction Orifice sizing for desired pressure drop

1. What is a reduction orifice?

A reduction orifice is a type of flow control device used to reduce the pressure of a fluid flowing through a pipe or vessel. It is a small opening in a plate or pipe that creates a restriction and causes a pressure drop in the fluid.

2. Why is reduction orifice sizing important for achieving a desired pressure drop?

The size of the reduction orifice controls the amount of pressure drop that occurs in the fluid. If the orifice is too large, the pressure drop will be too low and the desired flow rate may not be achieved. If the orifice is too small, the pressure drop will be too high and may cause damage to the system.

3. How is the size of a reduction orifice determined?

The size of a reduction orifice is determined by the desired pressure drop, the specific gravity of the fluid, the flow rate, and the properties of the piping system. There are various equations and tables that can be used to calculate the appropriate size for a given application.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of reduction orifice sizing?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of reduction orifice sizing, such as changes in fluid properties, changes in flow rate, and changes in the piping system. It is important to regularly check and adjust the orifice size as needed to maintain the desired pressure drop.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when using reduction orifice sizing?

Yes, it is important to consider the potential hazards associated with high pressure drops when using reduction orifices. This includes the risk of cavitation, which can cause damage to the orifice and downstream equipment. It is also important to properly install and maintain the orifice to prevent leaks and other safety hazards.