Quartile & Percentiles Questions - Answers by Alex

• Thread starter alexbib
  • Start date
In summary, when distributing values into quartiles, it is common to place equal values in the same quartile, even if it creates unequal groups. If the number of values cannot be divided by 4, the quartiles can be adjusted accordingly. When dealing with percentiles, if there are less than 100 values, a formula can be used to determine the quartiles. Some methods may involve using the median of the upper or lower half of the numbers. If wanting to find a specific percentile, such as the 5.25th, it can be calculated using interpolation or by simply taking the nearest whole number.
alexbib
I have a few questions about distributing values into quartiles:

1.must all equal values be in the same quartile, even if that makes you create (sometimes very)unequal groups?

2.what do you do when your number of values cannot be divided by 4? Say I have 10 values, do I make the quartiles 3-2-3-2, 2-3-3-2, or something else?

About percentiles, what do you do when you have less than 100 values?

I know stats isn't meant to be used on small numbers of values, but I am tutoring two high school students and couldn't answer these questions.

Thanks,

Alex

Physics news on Phys.org
I teach at 4 unis and also privately teach students. Unfortunately for you I have seen at least 4 similar ways of doing this. The most common way is that the upper quartile is the median of the upper half of the numbers. so the upper quartile of
12,13,15,19,100,102 is the median of 19,100,102 so the upper quartile is 100.

note that if the data set is odd the middle number is used in both the lower half and upper half of the numbers.

so the lower quartile of 13,15,19,100,102 is the median of 13,15,19
so lower quartile is 15.

so the upper quartile of 13,15,19,100,102 is the median of 19,100,102
so lower quartile is 100.

if you want a formula that works quartiles it the
lower quartile is the (n+1)*0.25th number.

the xth percentile would be (n+1)*x/100th number

What do you when you want the 5.25th number? take the 5th number or use linear interpolation, it depends on their skill.

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your questions. Here are some answers to help you better understand quartiles and percentiles:

1. In general, equal values should be placed in the same quartile. However, if you have a large number of equal values, it is okay to divide them evenly among the quartiles. For example, if you have 100 values and 20 of them are equal, you can place 5 in each quartile.

2. When the number of values cannot be divided by 4, it is best to use the nearest whole number for each quartile. In your example of 10 values, you can create quartiles of 3-3-2-2, as this would be the closest approximation to dividing them evenly.

3. When dealing with less than 100 values, you can still calculate percentiles by using the formula (n+1)/100, where n is the number of values. This will give you the position of the value in the data set, and you can then use that position to determine the corresponding percentile.

I hope this helps. Remember, it is always important to consider the context and purpose of your data when using quartiles and percentiles. Good luck with your tutoring!

Related to Quartile & Percentiles Questions - Answers by Alex

What are quartiles and percentiles?

Quartiles and percentiles are statistical measures used to divide a dataset into four equal parts (quartiles) or to determine the percentage of values below a specific value (percentiles).

How are quartiles and percentiles calculated?

Quartiles are calculated by dividing the dataset into four equal parts, with each part representing 25% of the total data. The first quartile (Q1) is the median of the lower half of the data, the second quartile (Q2) is the overall median, and the third quartile (Q3) is the median of the upper half of the data. Percentiles are calculated by finding the value that corresponds to a given percentage of data.

What is the difference between quartiles and percentiles?

The main difference between quartiles and percentiles is that quartiles divide the dataset into four equal parts, while percentiles divide the dataset into 100 equal parts. This means that quartiles are used to analyze the spread of data within a smaller range, while percentiles provide a more detailed understanding of the distribution of data.

Why are quartiles and percentiles important?

Quartiles and percentiles are important because they provide valuable information about the distribution of data and the spread of values within a dataset. They can also help identify outliers and extreme values, and can be used to compare data sets or track changes over time.

How are quartiles and percentiles used in data analysis?

Quartiles and percentiles are commonly used in data analysis to understand the spread and distribution of data, compare data sets, and identify outliers. They are also used in box plots, which are visual representations of the quartiles and percentiles. Additionally, they can be used to determine the performance or ranking of a particular data point compared to the rest of the dataset.