Quantum Mechanics - Supplemental text?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of using Griffiths' "Intro to Quantum Mechanics" textbook for problem-solving and recommends alternative resources such as Schuam's Outline of Quantum Mechanics and "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar. The importance of reviewing differential equations and orthogonal functions is also mentioned.
cameo_demon
Quantum Mechanics -- Supplemental text?

Hello,

I'm currently in a quantum mechanics class (undergraduate) that is using Griffiths Intro to Quantum Mechanics (second edition). I've taken solid state physics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics and statistical mechanics, among other physics classes, but have found that Griffiths provides too few examples for me to adequately tackle the problems in the textbook. Can anyone recommend a problem-solving oriented quantum mechanics guide or supplement that can help me out? Thanks.

Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org

I know a friend who successfully used Schuam's Outline of Quantum Mechanics... But I'd recommend that you go back and do the problems in Griffiths as the majority of those problems teach you something new about the subject as well.

Try "Principles of Quantum Mechanics" by Shankar. =) Its approach might be different from Griffiths since it gives you the bra-ket formalism right at the start, but I find it to be the best introductory QM book around.

Or try to review your differential equations / orthogonal functions (under linear algebra) again, Griffiths uses a lot of that. I also had the same problem as yours with his book but I finally figured out that I needed to refresh myself with those mathematical topics.

Hope this helps. Goodluck!

Personally I think Shankar's text is a bit more difficult than Griffiths'. If you can solve the problems in Griffiths' book then Shankar might be out of reach.

Related to Quantum Mechanics - Supplemental text?

1. What is the difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics?

The main difference between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics is the level of accuracy and precision in describing the behavior of matter and energy. Classical mechanics is based on Newton's laws of motion and is used to describe the macroscopic world, while quantum mechanics is used to describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How does quantum mechanics explain the concept of superposition?

Superposition is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that a particle can exist in multiple states or locations at the same time. This is explained by the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can behave as both waves and particles simultaneously. Superposition is essential for understanding phenomena such as interference and entanglement in quantum systems.

3. What is the uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The uncertainty principle, also known as Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that the position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously with absolute precision. This is because measuring one property inevitably affects the other, and the more precisely one is measured, the less precise the measurement of the other becomes.

4. How does quantum mechanics explain the phenomenon of tunneling?

Tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential barrier even if it does not have enough energy to overcome it. In classical mechanics, this would be impossible, but in quantum mechanics, particles can "tunnel" through the barrier due to their wave-like nature. This is a crucial concept in understanding the behavior of particles in certain systems, such as in nuclear fusion reactions.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics has numerous real-world applications, including the development of new technologies such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also crucial in fields such as cryptography, where quantum mechanics principles are used to ensure secure communication. Additionally, quantum mechanics plays a significant role in understanding and developing technologies related to quantum computing, which has the potential to revolutionize computing power and solve complex problems in various industries.