Prove G is a Subspace of V ⊕ V and Quotient Space (V ⊕ V)/G Isomorphic to V

In summary, the conversation discusses proving that $G$ is a subspace of $V \oplus V$ and that the quotient space $(V \oplus V)/G$ is isomorphic to $V$. This is done by showing that $G$ is a subset of $V \oplus V$ and constructing a morphism $\varphi : V \oplus V \rightarrow V$ where $\mathrm{Im}(\varphi) = V$ and $\ker\varphi = G$.
toni07
Prove that G is a subspace of V ⊕ V and the quotient space (V ⊕ V) / G is isomorphic to V.

Let $V$ be a vector space over $\Bbb{F}$, and let $T : V \rightarrow V$ be a linear operator on $V$. Let $G$ be the subset of $V \oplus V$ consisting of all ordered pairs $(x, T(x))$ for $x$ in $V$. I don't really understand what I am supposed to do. Is $G$ a subset of $V \oplus V$ or a subset of the ordered pairs $(x, T(x))$. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Re: Prove that G is a subspace of V ⊕ V and the quotient space (V ⊕ V) / G is isomorphic to V.

crypt50 said:
Let $V$ be a vector space over $\Bbb{F}$, and let $T : V \rightarrow V$ be a linear operator on $V$. Let $G$ be the subset of $V \oplus V$ consisting of all ordered pairs $(x, T(x))$ for $x$ in $V$. I don't really understand what I am supposed to do. Is $G$ a subset of $V \oplus V$ or a subset of the ordered pairs $(x, T(x))$. Please help.
By definition, $V \oplus V$ consists of all ordered pairs $(x,y)$ for $x$ and $y$ in $V$.

$G$ consists of those elements $(x,y)$ in $V \oplus V$ for which $y = Tx$. So $G$ is a subset of $V \oplus V$, and your first task is to show that it is a subspace.

Re: Prove that G is a subspace of V ⊕ V and the quotient space (V ⊕ V) / G is isomorphic to V.

crypt50 said:

Well you're told that elements of $G$ consist of all ordered pairs $(x,T(x))$ for $x\in V$; i.e.

\[G=\{(x,T(x)):x\in V\}\subset V\oplus V\]

To show that $G$ is a subspace of $v$, you want to take $u=(x_1,T(x_1))$ and $v=(x_2,T(x_2))$ and show that for any $a,b\in \Bbb{F}$, you have that $au+bv \in G$ (this is rather easy to show because addition is done component wise; furthermore you also know that $T$ is linear).

This is me going off on a limb (kind of; so I'd appreciate it if someone could point out if I'm wrong here), but I believe that in order to show that $(V\oplus V) / G\cong V$, you need to construct a morphism $\varphi : V\oplus V \rightarrow V$ where $\mathrm{Im}(\varphi)=V$ and $\ker\varphi = G$ (and thus you obtain the result by the First Isomorphism Theorem).

Related to Prove G is a Subspace of V ⊕ V and Quotient Space (V ⊕ V)/G Isomorphic to V

1. What is a subspace?

A subspace is a subset of a vector space that satisfies all the properties of a vector space, such as closure under addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How do you prove that G is a subspace of V ⊕ V?

To prove that G is a subspace of V ⊕ V, you must show that G satisfies the three properties of a subspace: closure under addition, closure under scalar multiplication, and contains the zero vector.

3. What does it mean for a quotient space to be isomorphic to V?

If a quotient space is isomorphic to V, it means that the two spaces have the same structure and their elements can be mapped one-to-one and onto each other.

4. How do you prove that the quotient space (V ⊕ V)/G is isomorphic to V?

To prove that the quotient space (V ⊕ V)/G is isomorphic to V, you must show that there exists a bijective linear transformation between the two spaces. This can be done by constructing a linear transformation that maps the elements of (V ⊕ V)/G to the elements of V and showing that it is both injective and surjective.

5. Why is it important to prove that (V ⊕ V)/G is isomorphic to V?

Proving that (V ⊕ V)/G is isomorphic to V is important because it helps us understand the relationship between the quotient space and the original space. It also allows us to simplify calculations and make connections between different mathematical structures.