Professorship: how to balance all your duties.

• Thread starter Rolen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Balance
In summary, the conversation discusses the various attributions of a professor, including teaching, administrative work, and research. The focus is on how professors balance these responsibilities, with some preferring teaching and others prioritizing research. The speaker mentions the importance of time management and maintaining grant funding for their research.
Rolen
Gold Member
We all know that a professor has many attributions such as teaching, administrative stuff and of course research.
But, how you and your colleges deal with this? I've seen a lot of professors that find teaching very rewarding while other neglect the teaching part and just focus on research. I'm not saying here that one part is more important than the other, no, that's not the focus of this thread, but just what you think about this, you prefer teaching and advising or you prefer do your research?

Physics news on Phys.org
Balancing my time is critically important, as award of tenure is based on a workload of 50% teaching, 50% research/scholarship, and 10% service (that's not a typo). Personally, while I enjoy teaching, I would rather spend time in my lab- this is my motivation to maintain grant funding.

Related to Professorship: how to balance all your duties.

1. What are the main duties of a professor?

The main duties of a professor include teaching, conducting research, publishing scholarly work, mentoring students, and participating in university service and administrative tasks.

2. How do professors balance their teaching and research responsibilities?

Professors typically use time management strategies, such as prioritizing tasks and setting aside specific blocks of time for teaching and research. They also delegate tasks and collaborate with other professors and research assistants.

3. How important is it for a professor to publish scholarly work?

Publishing scholarly work is a crucial aspect of a professor's role, as it contributes to the advancement of knowledge in their field and enhances their reputation and credibility as an academic.

4. How do professors balance their academic duties with their personal lives?

Professors often have to be very organized and efficient in their work to make time for their personal lives. They may also prioritize self-care and set boundaries to ensure a healthy work-life balance.

5. How do professors handle conflicts between teaching and research obligations?

In cases of conflicting obligations, professors may need to negotiate with their department or university to adjust their workload or seek support from colleagues. They may also need to prioritize tasks and make sacrifices to ensure both teaching and research responsibilities are fulfilled.