Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation

In summary, the conversation was about trying to show the velocity of an ultra-relativistic particle using two expressions. The person was struggling to include a factor of 1/2 in the first expression and was seeking help. The conversation then delved into the derivation, with a suggestion to use a Taylor series expansion to approximate the square root of 1-x. With this hint, the person was able to easily obtain the correct expression.
Astrofiend

Homework Statement

I am trying to show that the velocity of an ultra-relativistic particle can be approximated by the following expressions:

[tex]

v \approx c \left[1-\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{mc^2}{E}\right) ^2 \right]

[/tex]

and[tex]

\frac{1}{v} \approx \frac{1}{c} \left[1+\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{mc^2}{E}\right) ^2 \right]

[/tex]

...but I'm struggling. I know it can't be that hard, but I just can't quite get there. It seems I can get close, but I miss the factor of 1/2 out the front of the mass/energy term. I'm definitely doing something wrong, so any help would be much appreciated. Here's how I went about trying to obtain the first expression:

The Attempt at a Solution

So we have our usual relativistic expression:

[tex]
E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4
[/tex]

Then, I divided through by m^2 c^4 to get:

[tex]
\frac{E^2}{(mc^2)^2}-1 = \frac{p^2 c^2}{(mc^2)^2}
[/tex]

Now, using a relation that I pulled from somewhere - [tex] (pc)^2 = E^2 \frac{v^2}{c^2}[/tex]

I simply sub that in for (pc)^2, getting

[tex]
\frac{E^2}{(mc^2)^2}-1 = \frac{E^2}{(mc^2)^2}. \frac{v^2}{c^2}
[/tex]

and dividing through by [tex]\frac{E^2}{(mc^2)^2}[/tex], get

[tex]
\frac{v^2}{c^2} = 1 - \frac{(mc^2)^2}{E^2}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
\frac{v}{c} = 1 - \frac{(mc^2)^2}{E^2}
[/tex]

i.e

[tex]
v = c\left[1 - \frac{(mc^2)^2}{E^2}\right]
[/tex]

Hmmmm - the problem is that a) this is an exact equality not an approximation, b) I'm missing the damn factor of 1/2 out the front of the mass-energy fraction, and c) nowhere have I used the fact that the particle is highly relativistic. These facts are almost certainly all related, but I can't see how and I've been staring at it for some time now.

Any help or suggestions, or more ideas for more rigorous derivations would be exceedingly welcome!

Physics news on Phys.org
I didn't look over the rest of your derivation, but this step:
Astrofiend said:
[tex]
\frac{v^2}{c^2} = 1 - \frac{(mc^2)^2}{E^2}
[/tex]

so

[tex]
\frac{v}{c} = 1 - \frac{(mc^2)^2}{E^2}
[/tex]
...doesn't follow. (You forgot to take the square root of the RHS!)

Hint: Use a Taylor series expansion to approximate the square root of 1 - x, where x << 1.

"(You forgot to take the square root of the RHS!)"

Der! Must be tired - or just plain dumb...

Thanks a lot Doc Al - I got it out easily after that little hint. I appreciate it a lot!

Related to Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation

1. What is "Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation"?

"Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" is a mathematical formula used to calculate the effects of special relativity, which is a theory that describes how time and space are affected by the motion of objects at high speeds. It is often used in the field of physics to understand the behavior of particles at high speeds.

2. How does "Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" work?

"Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" involves using the formula E=mc², where E is energy, m is mass, and c is the speed of light, to calculate the relationship between energy, mass, and velocity. This formula is based on Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity and is used to understand the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

3. What are the applications of "Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation"?

"Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" has many applications in the field of physics, particularly in understanding the behavior of particles at high speeds. It is also used in the development of technologies such as particle accelerators and GPS systems. Additionally, it has implications for space travel and the study of the universe.

4. Is "Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" accurate?

Yes, "Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" is based on well-established scientific theories and has been extensively tested and verified through experiments. However, it is important to note that it is a simplified version of the more complex equations used in special relativity and may not account for all factors in certain scenarios.

5. Can "Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" be used for all types of objects?

"Probably Fairly Simple Special Relativity Calculation" can be used for most objects, including particles and macroscopic objects. However, it may not accurately predict the behavior of objects with extreme masses or velocities, such as black holes or objects traveling at speeds close to the speed of light. In these cases, more complex equations and theories are needed.