Probability of faulty parts shipped. Tough question

In summary, the conversation discusses a probability question involving a supplier shipping a lot of 6 parts with 3 defective parts to a company. The question asks about the size of the sample space and the probability of selecting a sample with one defective part. The person has tried listing all possible pairs of parts and listing each pair as faulty or not faulty, but is unsure how to proceed. The answer given is that the sample space is 15 and the probability is 0.60. The person is seeking suggestions on how to solve the problem.
bboydocument
Okay, I am doing some revision questions for probability and this question has me stuck.. I've spent hours on this one problem and i can't get my head around it. I have the answers to it, but they don't show the working. So here goes..

Question: A supplier has shipped a lot of 6 parts to a company. The lot contained 3 defective parts. Suppose the customer decided to randomly select two parts and test them for defects. How large a sample space is the customer potentially working with? List the sample space. Using the sample space list, determine the probability that the customer will select a sample with exactly I defect.

What I've tried: I've tried finding a sample list of 15 pairs of parts - each part chosen with each other (ie. with replacement i think?). So I've got a list like: (PART1,PART2),(PART1,PART3),and so on for part1...,then (PART2,PART3),(PART2,PART4).. and etc for each part.. So I end up with 15 possible pairs that can be chosen from the 6, you know?
But this sample list doesn't contain information about whether the part is faulty. So how do i do this?
I also tried listing each pair of faulty parts, ie. let 0 = not faulty, and 1 = faulty. Then for each possible pair i have is 00, 01, 10, 11. Then i tried doing combinations of the 6 parts, ie. 111000, 011100, 001110, 000111, 101100, etc etc but the sample space is greater than 15?? (as you woould expect!).

Answer: The sample space is 15 (but the answer won't list the samples so i don't know how to solve this problem.) The probability is then 0.60. Thats all that is given.

This is not an assignment question or anything so I am not cheating. I have the answers from the back of the book, but can't make sense of it..

Any suggestions? Thanks a lot guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have the first part right. How many ways are there to pick one working part and one faulty part? What does this tell you about the probability of doing so?

Related to Probability of faulty parts shipped. Tough question

1. What is the probability of receiving a faulty part?

The probability of receiving a faulty part depends on various factors such as the quality control measures in place, the reliability of the manufacturing process, and the number of parts being shipped. It is difficult to determine the exact probability without more specific information.

2. How can we reduce the probability of receiving faulty parts?

To reduce the probability of receiving faulty parts, it is important to have a thorough quality control process in place. This can include regular inspections of the manufacturing process, testing of the parts before shipping, and implementing strict standards for production.

3. What is the impact of receiving faulty parts on the overall product?

The impact of receiving faulty parts can vary depending on the specific product and the role of the faulty part. In some cases, a single faulty part can render the entire product useless. In other cases, the faulty part may only affect a small aspect of the product. However, any faulty parts can lead to decreased product quality and customer satisfaction.

4. How can we improve the accuracy of determining the probability of faulty parts?

To improve the accuracy of determining the probability of faulty parts, it is important to collect and analyze data on past shipments and their corresponding faulty parts. This data can help identify patterns and potential areas for improvement in the manufacturing process.

5. Is there a standard or benchmark for an acceptable level of faulty parts in shipments?

There is no universal standard or benchmark for an acceptable level of faulty parts in shipments. This can vary depending on the industry, product, and customer expectations. However, it is generally recommended to aim for a low percentage of faulty parts to ensure high product quality and customer satisfaction.