Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis

• Thread starter Ken Ramos
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the topic of Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM) and its relation to global warming. PAM is a fatal infection caused by the introduction of the amoeba Naegleria fowleri into the nasal cavity while swimming or diving in warm, fresh natural waters. The infection can also occur in poorly treated swimming pools. The mortality rate for PAM is usually 100%, but there have been a few reported cases of survival. The conversation also touched on the potential for misdiagnosis of PAM as a bacterial infection. Several sources, including the CDC, were mentioned as resources for further research on the topic.
Ken Ramos
Anyone here familiar with this topic? If so, have you done any research relating to the infection and the mortality rates resulting from it. I am curious as to the possibility of this infection becoming more pronounced with the advent of global warming, since the cause of it is a small thermphilic amoeba. PAM (Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis) is usually 100% fatal. However there have been four or maybe five reported cases of the host having survived this often fatal infection. I am also curious as to how many cases there have been which were misdiagnosed due to the infection appearing as a bacterial infection rather than amebic, which most often occurs and is not realized until after autopsy of the infected and then deceased host.
The cause of the infection is the introduction of the amoeba Naegleria fowleri into the nasal cavity during swimming or diving into warm fresh natural waters, where it then travels via the CNS (Central Nervous System) to the brain. Of course there it begins to propogate and cause sever bleeding, destruction of brain cell tissues and of course swelling leading to the death of the host. The amoeba can also thrive in most any warm body of freshwater including poorly treated swimming pools.
In any case I would enjoy hearing what others may have to say on this infection and what light they may have to shed on what I have not or may have already researched. Thanks:smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis -- North Carolina, 1991
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00016999.htm

Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis --- Georgia, 2002
http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5240a4.htm

Emerging Infectious Diseases
Fatal Naegleria fowleri Meningoencephalitis, Italy
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/EID/vol10no10/04-0273.htm

CDC also does - Surveillance for Waterborne-Disease Outbreaks
http://www.cdc.gov/search.do?action=search&queryText=Primary+Amebic+Meningoencephalitis+&x=7&y=8

I am familiar with Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM) and have done some research on the infection and its mortality rates. It is a rare but extremely fatal infection caused by the amoeba Naegleria fowleri. As you mentioned, it is usually 100% fatal, but there have been a few reported cases of survival.

I have also read about the possibility of PAM becoming more prevalent with the rise in global temperatures, as the amoeba is thermophilic and thrives in warm water. This is a concerning issue, especially as climate change continues to impact our environment.

In terms of misdiagnosis, I have not come across any specific numbers, but I can imagine that it may be difficult to diagnose PAM as it presents with symptoms similar to bacterial meningitis. This highlights the importance of raising awareness about PAM and its risk factors, particularly for those who engage in activities like swimming or diving in warm freshwater.

It is also alarming to know that the amoeba can survive in poorly treated swimming pools, emphasizing the need for proper maintenance and sanitation of these facilities.

Thank you for bringing up this topic and highlighting the severity of PAM. It is essential for us to continue researching and finding ways to prevent and treat this deadly infection.

Related to Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis

What is Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM)?

Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM) is a rare but serious infection of the brain caused by the Naegleria fowleri amoeba. This amoeba is commonly found in warm freshwater, such as lakes, rivers, and hot springs.

How is PAM transmitted?

PAM is transmitted when contaminated water enters the body through the nose. This can happen when swimming, diving, or participating in other water activities. The amoeba then travels to the brain through the olfactory nerve and can cause severe damage.

What are the symptoms of PAM?

The symptoms of PAM usually appear within 1-9 days after exposure and can include severe headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, confusion, and seizures. As the infection progresses, it can lead to coma and death.

Is PAM treatable?

Early diagnosis and treatment of PAM is crucial for survival. However, PAM is a very serious and rapidly progressive infection, and even with treatment, the mortality rate is high. Treatment usually involves a combination of drugs, including antifungals and antibiotics.

How can PAM be prevented?

There is no guaranteed way to prevent PAM, but there are steps that can be taken to reduce the risk of infection. These include avoiding activities in warm freshwater, using nose clips or keeping the head above water while swimming, and properly cleaning and maintaining pools and hot tubs. It is also important to avoid putting your head under water in hot springs and other untreated bodies of water.