Picking a career in a developing country

• Thread starter TxeIgor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the individual is a high school student in a developing country and is interested in pursuing a career in either aerospace engineering, materials science and engineering, or physics. They clarify that they plan to return to their home country after studying abroad. However, they are facing several challenges, including limited degree options in their country, financial constraints, and a lack of job opportunities in their desired field. They seek advice on how to navigate these challenges, including talking to professors and graduate students to help make a decision.
TxeIgor
Picking a career in a "developing country"

I am a high school student in one of the "developing countries" and I am interested in majoring in one of the following subjects: Aerospace engineering ,materials science & eng or physics.In that order.
First I want to make one thing clear. Even if i do study abroad i do want to eventually return to my country and work there.
There are a couple of problems that I am facing:
-Universities in my country do not offer degrees in 2/3 of the subjects
There is a college for a physics degree , no college for aerospace engineering , and a college that offers separate degrees in polymer engineering and metallurgy (i will mention why this is a problem)
-I am a middle class white male so i cannot afford studying abroad , nor i am someone that a university would consider exceptional and would give funding to.
-There are NO jobs for aerospace engineers , for physicists 90% of the jobs are teaching positions in primary/high school (something i don't want to do) and others are meteorologists, and there are a decent amount of openings for metallurgists but no workplaces for polymer engineers and that is the part i am interested in. If we had a degree in materials science i would learn everything and be satisfied and then i would be able to work in metallurgy for a living.
Keep in mind that with physics you can't get a job in industry here because even though you are a fast learner and good at problem solving they need someone with experience and that usually means someone with an EE or ME degree because they don't have the time or the money to teach you.
So does anyone have any advice? What should i do? If anyone sees a way out of my situation that i haven't seen please tell me , it would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
My advice for you is to go to these colleges and talk to professors and grad students, just go from door to door and talk, that will help you make your choice.

Related to Picking a career in a developing country

1. What are the benefits of picking a career in a developing country?

There are several potential benefits of picking a career in a developing country. Firstly, there may be a higher demand for skilled professionals in certain industries, providing more job opportunities. Additionally, the cost of living may be lower in developing countries, allowing for a higher standard of living on a lower salary. You may also have the opportunity to make a positive impact on the development of the country and its communities.

2. What challenges should I expect when picking a career in a developing country?

Picking a career in a developing country can come with its own set of challenges. These may include cultural and language barriers, as well as navigating unfamiliar bureaucratic processes. The infrastructure and resources may also be limited, making it more difficult to do your job effectively. It's important to research and understand the specific challenges of the country you are considering working in.

3. How can I ensure that my career in a developing country is sustainable and ethical?

When choosing a career in a developing country, it's important to consider the ethical and sustainable implications of your work. This may involve working with local communities and organizations to ensure that your work aligns with their needs and priorities. It's also important to be mindful of your impact on the environment and the local economy.

4. What types of careers are available in developing countries?

There are a wide range of careers available in developing countries, depending on the industry and the country itself. Some common industries include agriculture, healthcare, education, and technology. However, there are also opportunities in fields like international development, social work, and conservation. It's important to research and understand the specific job market in the country you are interested in.

5. How can I prepare for a career in a developing country?

To prepare for a career in a developing country, it's important to do your research and gain an understanding of the country's culture, history, and current socioeconomic situation. You may also want to learn the local language and develop skills that are in high demand in the country. It's also important to have an open mind and be adaptable, as working in a developing country may present unexpected challenges and opportunities.