Physics minor possibility questions

In summary: The reason is that a minor cannot represent a significant amount of knowledge in a field. That's why it is a "minor".In summary, the individual is considering changing their major from communications/management to a science field, particularly physics. They are drawn to the science building on their campus and have been advised that a physics minor could be beneficial in the future. They are also considering switching entirely to a science field, but are not interested in chemistry or biology. They have concerns about the level of mathematics required for a science degree and are seeking advice on potential career options in computer science and physics. Ultimately, they are encouraged to take courses in subjects they are interested in and to consider a general science program. It is noted that while
crazedskylark
Physics minor possibility...questions!

I'm going to keep this question simple because details probably aren't really needed in this. Currently, I'm a communications/management major (ex-Graphic Design Major), and I've been thinking about at the very least adding some science minor, if not changing all together. Thing is, I don't know that I want to do a MAJOR in a science field, though I hate the classes I'm taking in my communications area with a passion. They're boring as watching someone's beard grow or listening to a monotone teacher talk about history or something. I don't really know for sure what I want to do anymore, but I know that everything on one side of my campus is just boring, something I don't enjoy, or something that makes me not enjoy what I love doing anymore and I don't like it. I also know that while in high school and grade school I've never been one for the sciences really, but I'm finding myself being drawn to the things in part of our science building where there's a whole part of the building for engineering, computer science, and physics. It's all very interesting to me, and I'd love to learn some of it.

If I WAS to keep my major and add the minor...the question is what could I do with that in the future when i finished? My buddy was saying that there's always a need for physicists who can actually tell non physicists things, and run the places they work at. I've looked up stuff (not extensively but some) on the topic a couple of times, and have found nothing really. Any help?

And if I was to just switch entirely, any suggestions on what one should do? I'm not a big fan of STRAIGHT chemistry and biology, but the rest has my attention.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

crazedskylark said very plainly:
I don't know that I want to do a MAJOR in a science field, though I hate the classes I'm taking in my communications area with a passion.

Change your major field. The only important advice to you for pursuing sciences is that you MUST tolerate the long and possibly frustrating Mathematics courses which you would need for them. As you described, Communications is not a field of interest to you. Physics may be one of the best major fields to choose until you both advance enough in your mathematical development and study a few other science course areas.

I'm not so worried about the math. I think I'm pretty good at it actually, though until lately I've been avoiding it like the plague because it's been a while since I've been in a math class.

I'm not sure a minor is really all that good for anything besides conversation at cocktail parties.

That being said, I think that a general physics education is good for all sorts of things. The more one understands about the physical world the more opportunites will be available. These won't necessarily come in the "WANTED: young, energetic employee with a minor in physics" form. Rather, they will come in the form of ideas. They will make other things easier to learn and hence allow one to advance faster than colleagues.

What I would suggest is that you register for some courses in subjects that you think you're interested in and see how they go. Perhaps you could transfer to a general science program. Having an interest in physics at the high school/popular literature level is quite different than having the passion to pursue it through an undergraduate degree and later graduate school.

New question, what types of jobs other than teaching could one get if they went into computer science and physics?

crazedskylark said:
I'm not so worried about the math. I think I'm pretty good at it actually, though until lately I've been avoiding it like the plague because it's been a while since I've been in a math class.

This is one justification for "PreCalculus". The course should prepare you for continuing onto three semesters of Calculus and one more course combining differential equations and linear algebra. Most physical sciences will require at least three semesters of Calculus

crazedskylark said:
New question, what types of jobs other than teaching could one get if they went into computer science and physics?

Depending on elective course choices, graduates in Physics can become engineers, computer programmers, or various types of scientific or engineering technicians. Other employment categories are also possible, depending on ones temperament, and as said, upon elective course choices.

crazedskylark said:
If I WAS to keep my major and add the minor...the question is what could I do with that in the future when i finished?

We should clarify something: You've received some good answers to what might happen with a physics major. On the other hand, your minor, no matter what it is in, will be worth somewhat less than the paper it will be printed on.

Related to Physics minor possibility questions

1. Can I minor in Physics even if I am majoring in a different subject?

Yes, it is possible to minor in Physics even if your major is in a different subject. Many universities offer minor programs in various fields, including Physics, for students who are interested in studying multiple subjects.

2. What are the requirements for a minor in Physics?

The requirements for a minor in Physics vary depending on the university or college you are attending. Generally, you will need to complete a certain number of credit hours in Physics courses, including both required and elective courses.

3. Can I minor in Physics if I have no prior experience in the subject?

Yes, you can minor in Physics even if you have no prior experience in the subject. However, it is important to keep in mind that Physics is a challenging subject and may require significant effort and dedication to succeed.

4. Will a minor in Physics benefit me in my future career?

Having a minor in Physics can benefit you in various ways, depending on your career goals. It can provide you with a solid foundation in scientific principles and critical thinking skills, which are valuable in many fields, including engineering, technology, and research.

5. How can I balance a Physics minor with my major courses?

Balancing a Physics minor with your major courses can be challenging, but it is not impossible. It is essential to plan your course schedule carefully and prioritize your time effectively. Additionally, you can seek guidance from your academic advisor to create a balanced course load.