Parsecs, trigonometric parallax and light years

In summary, a parsec is equal to 206265 AU, and a lightyear is equal to 3.262xAU. The parallax angle corresponds to the distance to the star, and is 1 arcsecond.
Auron87
Hey I'm really confused about these things above (well except for light years). How would you get a distance in parsecs and in light years if there was an annual parallax of say 0.2 arc seconds. I'm just revising for exams but am really confused now! Thanks.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
In parsecs, it would be just be

[tex]\frac{1}{p}[/tex]

where p is the parallax in arc-seconds.

Lightyears would be

[tex]\frac{3.262}{p}[/tex]

Auron87 said:
Hey I'm really confused about these things above (well except for light years). How would you get a distance in parsecs and in light years if there was an annual parallax of say 0.2 arc seconds. I'm just revising for exams but am really confused now! Thanks.

[edit: I see while i was typing my long answer, Janus gave a nice concise one.
so my response is really redundant but I will leave it in case the extra words turn out to help]
========

if you are REALLY confused, then you are probably confused about a factor of two

so let's be as slow and clear as possible

a parsec is 206265 AU
(and it is also 3.26 light years but that doesn't matter now, you can always convert to light years)

why is a parsec equal to 206265 AU?

Because if you move sideways by 1 AU the star position appears to shift
by one arc second which is equal to 1/206265 part of a radian

the official meaning of the parallax angle is HALF the biggest angle the star moves in a 6 month period

because in a 6 month period the Earth is moving sideways by TWO AU

they always screw you by factors of 2

So suppose in 6 months the star shifts 0.2 arcseconds to the left and in the next 6 months is shifts back 0.2 arcseconds to the right, returning to its orig. position.

then the official paralax angle corresponding to a 1 AU sideways motion of the Earth is half that. Namely 0.1 arcsecond.

You always take the reciprocal of the official parallax angle. And the reciprocal of 0.1 is 10
So the distance to the star is 10 parsecs

===========

Another example. Suppose in the course of a year the maximum angle the sucker moves is 2 arcseconds. She moves 2 arcseconds to the left and then she moves the same amount back so she ends up in the same place.

Well that was associated with an Earth motion of 2 AU, the DIAMETER of the Earth orbit. So you have to divide that 2 arcseconds in half, to get 1 arcsecond----that is what is associated with the Earth moving sideways by ONE AU

So in this example, the official parallax angle is 1 arcsecond.

that means the distance to the star is 1 parsec----or 3.26 lightyear if you have to tell it in lightyear terms.

of course there isn't any star one parsec away, but this is just a hypothetical for illustration.
==========
Remember the basic fact that the AU is the conventional radius of the Earth orbit.

Remember that one arcsecond is 1/3600 of a degree and therefore it is
1/206265 of a radian
And that angle can be pictured as a rise of 1 AU over a run of 206265 AU,
that is, as a very long sliver

And that is why an official parallax angle (while Earth is shifting 1 AU sideways) of 1 arcsecond must correspond to a distance of 206265 AU

to which distance some brilliant scholar gave the name parsec.

======

Last edited:
Dear all,

After reading the explanations on parsecs, I managed to understand the main idea of what it is. However, what I can't grasp is why there is a parallax error. Also, I don't know what AU stands for. Sorry.

An AU means astronomical unit - roughly the distance from the Earth to the sun [93 million miles]. The rest is trigonometry.

Related to Parsecs, trigonometric parallax and light years

1. What is a parsec and how is it different from a light year?

A parsec is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to describe distances to objects outside of our solar system. It is equal to approximately 3.26 light years, which is the distance that light travels in one year. The main difference is that a parsec is measured using the angle of parallax, while a light year is based on the speed of light.

2. How is trigonometric parallax used in astronomy?

Trigonometric parallax is used in astronomy to calculate the distance to a nearby star. By measuring the angle of parallax, which is the apparent shift of a star's position as the Earth orbits the Sun, astronomers can use trigonometry to calculate the distance of the star from Earth.

3. How do you convert between parsecs and light years?

To convert from parsecs to light years, you would multiply the number of parsecs by 3.26. For example, 1 parsec is equal to 3.26 light years. To convert from light years to parsecs, you would divide the number of light years by 3.26.

4. Can you explain the concept of a light year in simpler terms?

A light year is the distance that light can travel in one year. Since light travels at a very fast speed, it can cover a vast distance in one year. It is often used as a unit of measurement in astronomy to describe the vast distances between objects in space.

5. How do scientists use light years to study the universe?

Scientists use light years to measure the vast distances between objects in the universe. By studying the light that reaches us from these objects, scientists can gather information about their properties, such as their distance, size, and composition. Light years also help scientists understand the history of the universe and the movement of objects within it.