Number of Partitions of n into j Parts not Exceeding m?

• MHB
  • Thread starter poissonspot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Partition
In summary: What I am hoping to find is the number of j-tuples of positive integers that are non increasing so that a0+a1+...+aj=n and ai is less than or equal to m.
poissonspot
Remember that the number of partitions of n into parts not exceeding m is equal to the number of partitions of n into m or fewer parts? Does anyone know much about the number of partitions of n into m parts not exceeding m?

Thanks!

Edit: Or more generally, the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m?
Thanks again,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
conscipost said:
Remember that the number of partitions of n into parts not exceeding m is equal to the number of partitions of n into m or fewer parts? Does anyone know much about the number of partitions of n into m parts not exceeding m?

Thanks!

Edit: Or more generally, the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m?
Thanks again,

All right, so after trying to make sense of your post, I've decided that there are the following distinct questions to be answered here:

1: In how many ways can one partition $n$ objects into groups of less than $m$
2: In how many ways can one partition $n$ objects into $m$ or fewer groups
3: In how many ways can one partition $n$ objects into $j$ parts not exceeding $m$

Please correct me if you meant something else.

TheBigBadBen said:
All right, so after trying to make sense of your post, I've decided that there are the following distinct questions to be answered here:

1: In how many ways can one partition $n$ objects into groups of less than $m$
2: In how many ways can one partition $n$ objects into $m$ or fewer groups
3: In how many ways can one partition $n$ objects into $j$ parts not exceeding $m$

Please correct me if you meant something else.

Hey, I'm just talking about integer partitions, but I'm sorry about the lack of clarity. I think it's well known that the number of partitions of an integer n w/ largest part m is equal to the number of partitions of n with m parts a statement equivalent to the first line "Remember".

However, I'm really interested in the question of how many integer partitions of n with j parts have parts not exceeding m.

Does that clarify things a little?

Last edited:
conscipost said:
Hey, I'm just talking about integer partitions, but I'm sorry about the lack of clarity. I think it's well known that the number of partitions of an integer n w/ largest part m is equal to the number of partitions of n with m parts a statement equivalent to the first line "Remember".

However, I'm really interested in the question of how many integer partitions of n with j parts have parts not exceeding m.

Does that clarify things a little?

I realize you mean for $m,n,j$ to be integers. It's still a tough problem.

After looking carefully, the link wasn't as related as I thought, so sorry about that.

Some things I figured out that might help: you can add up the multinomial coefficients
$$
\binom{n}{k_1,k_2,...,k_m}
$$
Over all choices of $k_j$ such that $0≤k_j≤n$, not counting repeating combinations of $k_j$, and $\sum_{j=1}^m k_j=n$, which I haven't found a way to simplify.

Or, if we're looking at the wider version of the problem where we have labeled parts $A_1,A_2,...,A_m$, then the number of ways you can distribute the $n$ objects to the $m$ sets (including potentially empty $A_j$s) is simply $m^n$.

Last edited:
TheBigBadBen said:
I realize you mean for $m,n,j$ to be integers. It's still a tough problem.

After looking carefully, the link wasn't as related as I thought, so sorry about that.

Some things I figured out that might help: you can add up the multinomial coefficients
$$
\binom{n}{k_1,k_2,...,k_m}
$$
Over all choices of $k_j$ such that $0≤k_j≤n$, not counting repeating combinations of $k_j$, and $\sum_{j=1}^m k_j=n$, which I haven't found a way to simplify.

Or, if we're looking at the wider version of the problem where we have labeled parts $A_1,A_2,...,A_m$, then the number of ways you can distribute the $n$ objects to the $m$ sets (including potentially empty $A_j$s) is simply $m^n$.

Thanks again.
What I am hoping to find is the number of j-tuples of positive integers that are non increasing so that a0+a1+...+aj=n and ai is less than or equal to m.
Partition (number theory) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Related to Number of Partitions of n into j Parts not Exceeding m?

1. What is the formula for calculating the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m?

The formula for calculating the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m is given by the following recurrence relation: P(n,j,m) = P(n-1,j,m) + P(n,m-1,j-1) where P(n,j,m) represents the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m.

2. How is the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m related to the number of partitions of n into j parts?

The number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m is a subset of the number of partitions of n into j parts. This means that the total number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m will always be less than or equal to the total number of partitions of n into j parts.

3. Can the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m be negative?

No, the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m cannot be negative. It is always a positive integer, including 0.

4. Is there a limit to the value of m in the formula for calculating the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m?

Yes, the value of m cannot exceed the value of n. This is because each partition is made up of positive integers, and if m is greater than n, it would not be possible to create a partition.

5. Can the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m be calculated using other methods?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the number of partitions of n into j parts not exceeding m, such as using generating functions or using Ferrers diagrams. However, the formula given by the recurrence relation is the most common and efficient method.