Nonuniform finite element method

In summary, you are trying to solve a second order differential equation by using a nonuniform mesh, and you are having trouble because the approximation for the second derivative doesn't work.
aaaa202
I am solving some 2nd order differential equations using the finite element method. Doing so I represent the second order derivative at a given point as:

2ψi/∂x2 = 1/(Δx)2i-1i+1-2ψi)

And solve the differential equation by setting up a matrix of N entries and solving for the eigenvectors. I guess you are all familiar with this approach. Now what I want to do is use a nonuniform mesh. To do so I have tried to simply let Δx = Δxi, i.e. such that it may vary depending on the site i. But doing so I get some solutions that don't make sense, which I assume is because of the "discontinuity" in the mesh size.

How can I approach the problem of a nonuniform mesh size?

Physics news on Phys.org
The trouble is that using the factor ##(\Delta x)^2## assumes that ##x_{j+1}-x_j=x_j-x_{j-1}##, where that is not in fact the case.

An appropriate formula that avoids that would be

$$\frac{\partial^2\psi}{\partial x^2}(x_j)=\frac{\frac{\psi_{j+1}-\psi_j}{x_{j+1}-x_{j}}-
\frac{\psi_{j}-\psi_{j-1}}{x_j-x_{j-1}}}
{(x_{j+1}-x_{j-1})/2}$$

hmm when I construct the matrix for the formula above I still get something whose eigenvectors diverge at the point where x_j changes discontinuely.

Post the problem you are trying to solve, and the results you've obtained so far.
If you have code representing your calculations - eg if it's in MATLAB or R - post that too.

I don't know if this is relevant, because it should be a minor issue unless the mesh is very coarse, but the formula above is not exactly an approximation for the second derivative at ##x_j##. It is an approximation for the second derivative at ##\frac{x_{j+1}-x_{j-1}}{2}##.

Okay I have the code here. Basically I am simulating a metal coupled to a heterostructure. Since the fermi wavelength is much shorter in the metal I want to make a grid, which has a higher density of points here. To do so I write:

%%%%% Defining the grid
N=2000; %Number of grid points
N0=2; %Parameter that defines how long outside the actual well the grid should extend N0=1 only contains the well.
N_Al=200;
N_Semi=N-N_Al;
dx=N0*L/N_Semi;
dx_Al=L_Al/N_Al;
x=[dx_Al*(1:N_Al),dx*((N_Al+1):(N_Semi+N_Al))];

I then calculate the kinetic energy operator, which is the second derivative (times some factor, which we for now will take as constant). That means it is proportional to the follow matrix:

for i=2:N-1
K(i,i)=-2/(x(i+1)-x(i-1))*(1/(x(i+1)-x(i))+1/(x(i)-x(i-1)));
K(i+1,i)=2/(x(i+1)-x(i-1))*(1/(x(i+1)-x(i)));
K(i,i+1)=2/(x(i+1)-x(i-1))*(1/(x(i)-x(i-1)));
end
K(N,N)=K(N-1,N-1);
K(1,1)=K(2,2);
K(1,2)=K(2,3);
K(2,1)=K(2,3);

I think this should be the correct expression from the one you gave. The reason for the last four lines is to make it the correct matrix while keeping it of size NxN.
Now I add to this the potential V, which is a diagonal matrix defined by (j labels different iteration cycles, but that is a longer store):

V(x<L,j)=-aff_GaAs;
V(x<L_InAs+L_GaAs,j)=-aff_InAs;
V(x<L_GaAs)=-aff_GaAs;
V(x<L_Al)=mu-Ef_Al;

And finally solve the eigenvalue problem:

H=K+diag(V(:,j),0);
[psi,E0] = eig(H); % Psi is a matrix with eigenvectors and E is a matrix with eigenenergies in diagonal.
E=diag(E0); % Vector of Eigenvalues
groundstate(:,j)=psi(:,1);
firstexcited(:,j)=psi(:,2);

aaaa202 said:
I then calculate the kinetic energy operator, which is the second derivative (times some factor, which we for now will take as constant). That means it is proportional to the follow matrix:

for i=2:N-1
K(i,i)=-2/(x(i+1)-x(i-1))*(1/(x(i+1)-x(i))+1/(x(i)-x(i-1)));
end
K(N,N)=K(N-1,N-1);
K(1,1)=K(2,2);
K(1,2)=K(2,3);
K(2,1)=K(2,3);

I think this should be the correct expression from the one you gave.
My knowledge of MATLAB is only very basic, so perhaps I'm missing something.
But I can't see how this relates to what I wrote. The only input it appears to have is a vector of ##x_i## values. There is no sign of any function ##\psi## of which the second derivative is being taken.

Well that would be the eigenvector of the matrix I solve for. When the Schrödinger equation is discretized finding the eigenstates amounts to finding the eigenvectors of the matrix operator. In other words ψ is a vector of n entries with the ith entry being ψi.

OK. That makes more sense out of it.
Looking at the code again in the light of that, I think there's an error in the following lines:
aaaa202 said:
I think they should be

K(i,i-1)=2/(x(i+1)-x(i-1))*(1/(x(i)-x(i-1)));
K(i,i+1)=2/(x(i+1)-x(i-1))*(1/(x(i+1)-x(i)));

You'd need to consequently change your last line to

K(N,N-1)=K(N-1,N-2);

Try that and see how you go.

I think I figured out my problem. I had forgotten some constants that made the problems dimensions wrong. Now suppose I want to add the fact that the effective mass in the kinetic energy operator should also be position dependent. Then my differential operator would be:
d/dx(1/m*(x) d/dx)

In discretized form how would this look when I compare to your expression for the second derivative. Would I just have 1/m*(i+1) and 1/m*(i-1) in front of the two terms?

Related to Nonuniform finite element method

1. What is the Nonuniform Finite Element Method (NUFEM)?

The Nonuniform Finite Element Method (NUFEM) is a numerical technique used to solve partial differential equations (PDEs). It is an extension of the traditional finite element method (FEM), where the shape functions are nonuniformly distributed along the element domain. This allows for a more accurate representation of the solution in regions of high variation or discontinuities.

2. How does NUFEM differ from traditional FEM?

NUFEM differs from traditional FEM in two main ways. Firstly, NUFEM uses nonuniform shape functions, which are optimized for specific regions of interest and provide a more accurate representation of the solution. Secondly, NUFEM allows for nonuniform meshing, where the element size can vary throughout the domain, leading to a more efficient and accurate solution.

3. What are the advantages of using NUFEM?

NUFEM offers several advantages over traditional FEM, including increased accuracy and efficiency. By using nonuniform shape functions and meshing, NUFEM can better capture local variations and discontinuities in the solution. This can lead to a more accurate and reliable solution with fewer elements required. Additionally, NUFEM can handle complex geometries and boundary conditions more easily than traditional FEM.

4. What are the limitations of NUFEM?

While NUFEM offers many advantages, it also has some limitations. One limitation is that it can be more computationally expensive than traditional FEM, as it requires more complex algorithms and calculations. Additionally, setting up a nonuniform mesh can be challenging, and the optimal choice of shape functions may not always be apparent.

5. In what applications is NUFEM commonly used?

NUFEM is commonly used in a wide range of engineering and scientific applications, including structural analysis, fluid dynamics, heat transfer, and electromagnetics. It is particularly useful for problems with high variations or discontinuities, such as stress concentrations, boundary layers, and shock waves. NUFEM is also well-suited for problems with complex geometries, such as those found in biomedical or geophysical simulations.