Non-US Schools Offering Math Degree in English | Deadline Still Open

• Schools
  • Thread starter mathmuncher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Schools
In summary, the individual is looking for a non-US-based institution that offers a comprehensive math degree taught in English and has a deadline that has not yet passed. They are aware that the deadlines for UK universities have already passed and are applying for entry in the fall. The person suggests contacting the admissions department of the desired UK institution or considering the "clearing" program. They also mention limited knowledge on other options.
mathmuncher
Is there any non-US-based institution I could apply to that offers a respectable and comprehensive math degree, and whose language of instruction is English? A place whose deadline hasn't yet passed?

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmuncher said:
A place whose deadline hasn't yet passed?

Do you want to start study in September/October 2007? If so, I think the deadline for all UK universities is last December/early January -- I can't say anything about other countries though.

Yeah I'm aware of the fact that the deadlines in the UK have already passed, and yes, I'm applying for entry in the fall. I'm just after a respectable math degree taught somewhere, in English.

Last edited:
Deadlines for University places are never fully set-in-stone. If there's an institution in the UK that you'd like to consider applying to, there's no harm in emailing their respective admissions department - if there's places left on the course then there's no reason you couldn't be considered. Otherwise there's the 'clearing' programme, where they make available the places of those who didn't achieve the necessary grades after provisional acceptance.

Other than that, I'm afraid my knowledge is limited.

Related to Non-US Schools Offering Math Degree in English | Deadline Still Open

1. What countries have non-US schools that offer math degrees in English?

The countries that have non-US schools offering math degrees in English include Canada, United Kingdom, Australia, New Zealand, Germany, France, Switzerland, and some universities in Asia such as Singapore and Hong Kong.

2. Are these non-US schools reputable and recognized internationally?

Yes, many of these non-US schools offering math degrees in English are highly reputable and recognized internationally. For example, universities like Oxford and Cambridge in the UK, University of Toronto in Canada, and ETH Zurich in Switzerland are highly regarded for their mathematics programs.

3. Are there any language proficiency requirements for non-native English speakers?

It depends on the specific university and country. Some universities may require non-native English speakers to provide proof of English language proficiency through standardized exams like TOEFL or IELTS. Others may have their own language proficiency tests or may waive the requirement if the student has studied in an English-speaking country previously.

4. What are the advantages of studying math at a non-US school in English?

Studying math at a non-US school in English can provide a unique international experience and exposure to different teaching methods and perspectives. It can also broaden career opportunities and allow for networking with students and professors from diverse backgrounds.

5. When is the deadline to apply for non-US schools offering math degrees in English?

The deadlines vary depending on the university and country. Generally, the application deadlines for international students are earlier than for domestic students, so it is important to check the specific deadlines for each university. Some universities have rolling admissions, meaning they accept applications throughout the year, while others have specific deadlines for each academic term.