Name for the neurotransmitter cycle?

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cycle
In summary, there is no official term for the cycle of neurotransmitters going from presynaptic to postsynaptic neurons and back. This process involves the re-uptake and recycling of neurotransmitter molecules, which only occurs with certain transmitters. Some transmitters are broken down chemically, while others may be recycled and reused. Terms like "action potential" or "nerve spike" are not appropriate for describing this process, as they refer to the electrical activity of neurons. The release of neurotransmitters is triggered by the influx of Ca++ ions, which is caused by an action potential.
icakeov
I was wondering if there is an official term for the cycle that neurotransmitters make as they go from presynaptic to postsynaptic neurons and back?

Perhaps "action potential" or "nerve spike" could work? I am guessing every spike would involve the crossing of the neurotransmitters and then their return back?

Biology news on Phys.org
It might be reuptake, which I think defines that last stage

Likes icakeov
Thanks for that @CapnGranite, on that note, I am also curious how long that cycle of reuptake would usually last. I am guessing it is very quick. And then, can it just go again right away? Or would there be some "adjustment" period before it goes again.

icakeov said:
I was wondering if there is an official term for the cycle that neurotransmitters make as they go from presynaptic to postsynaptic neurons and back?
Sounds like you are referring to something like a combination of the re-uptake of neurotransmitter molecules after they are released and their reuse in synaptic vesicles. Don't know what the whole system might be called. This kind of recycling only occurs with some transmitters. There are many different kinds of neurotransmitter and not all of them are going to work this way. Some are broken down chemically to inactive them (providing a more discrete signal). The breakdown products may get recycled/reutilized. Most classical (first discovered, most studied) neurotransmitters are small molecules, but a lot of newer neurotransmitters are polypeptides or proteins. Not sure what happens to them.

icakeov said:
Perhaps "action potential" or "nerve spike" could work? I am guessing every spike would involve the crossing of the neurotransmitters and then their return back?
Action potential (and presumably "nerve spike", which I am not familiar with, but assume its the same thing) would be an inappropriate term for chemical cycling of transmitters. An action potential is a self-propagating change in the electric voltage (or potential) across the bilayer lipid membrane. Its is measured and studied electronically.

When an action potential reaches a region where synaptic release can occur, it triggers Ca++ to enter the cell (rather than Na+ which occurs in other places). This triggers synaptic vesicles to fuse with the membrane and dump out their contents (neurotransmitters). That's how action potentials and synapse function are related.

Likes icakeov and Ygggdrasil
Thanks @BillTre that was very helpful!

Related to Name for the neurotransmitter cycle?

1. What is a neurotransmitter cycle?

A neurotransmitter cycle refers to the process by which neurotransmitters are released, bind to receptors on neighboring neurons, and are then reabsorbed or broken down to be used again.

2. What are the main neurotransmitters involved in the cycle?

The main neurotransmitters involved in the cycle are dopamine, serotonin, acetylcholine, GABA, and glutamate. These neurotransmitters play important roles in regulating various functions in the brain and body.

3. How does the neurotransmitter cycle affect behavior and mood?

The neurotransmitter cycle plays a crucial role in regulating behavior and mood. Imbalances or disruptions in the cycle can lead to various mental health disorders and conditions, such as depression, anxiety, and schizophrenia.

4. What factors can disrupt the neurotransmitter cycle?

There are several factors that can disrupt the neurotransmitter cycle, including genetics, diet, drug use, and stress. These factors can affect the production, release, or reabsorption of neurotransmitters, leading to imbalances in the cycle.

5. How is the neurotransmitter cycle studied and researched?

The neurotransmitter cycle is studied and researched through various methods, such as animal studies, brain imaging techniques, and clinical trials. Scientists also examine the effects of different drugs and treatments on the cycle to better understand its mechanisms and potential therapies for disorders.