Minkowski Metric and Lorentz Metric

In summary: In GR, on the other hand, you need to worry about curved spacetime if you want to be relativist (or at least approximative).In summary, the two "metrics" are confusing me. I understand that both systems were formed so that all 4 dimensions have the same units. However, I don't know which one to use and I don't really understand how each metric system was formed (the thought process behind their creation). The Minkowski metric is especially confusing for me due to the imaginary "ict" factor.
wpan
I am currently studying special relativity on my own and I am looking into space time and space time diagrams. While reading through various sources I came across what seemed to be two methods to describe space time.

X0, X1, X2, X3 (ct, x,y,z) -> Lorentz Metric

X1, X2, X3, X4 (x,y,z,ict) -> Minkowski Metric

The two "metrics" are confusing me. I understand that both systems were formed so that all 4 dimensions have the same units. However, I don't know which one to use and I don't really understand how each metric system was formed (the thought process behind their creation). The Minkowski metric is especially confusing for me due to the imaginary "ict" factor. I think the differences in the metric system also has to do with the signs of each term. For example i see both these notations floating around (-+++) and (+---). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
wpan said:
The two "metrics" are confusing me.
They're called signatures. The ict notation is an especially bad idea and hardly ever used any more, but the (+---) and (-+++) are widespread, and you have to keep alert for that. Both of these conventions are vigorously advocated by those who favor them.

The (x,y,z,ict) metric is an attempt to have a signature of the form (++++) so that the time dimension appears to be just like the space dimensions. In other words, ##s^2 = x^2+y^2+z^2+(ict)^2##. This notation did not really catch on. Mathematically ##s^2 = x^2+y^2+z^2+(ict)^2## is equivalent to ##s^2 = x^2+y^2+z^2-(ct)^2## because ##i = \sqrt{-1}## and ##i^2 =-1##.

The more common notation is (ct, x,y,z). Here you have a choice of signature convention of (-+++) or (+---) where the time dimension is the odd one out and is a reminder that the time dimension is not exactly like the space dimensions. The signature convention used should be obvious in the context.

Last edited:
If a book uses a Minkowski-style ict, that's a sign that it's extremely old and out of date.

robphy said:
One peculiar exception is 't Hooft's relativity text
www.staff.science.uu.nl/~hooft101/lectures/genrel_2013.pdf

(The prologue tries to justify his use of that signature... in the beginning.)

By "in the beginning" you mean "only for the first 12 pages of the text, which discuss SR, but not for the rest of the text, which discusses GR", correct? The argument he gives is interesting to me because MTW makes the opposite argument: since "ict" can't be used in GR (which t'Hooft apparently agrees with), it shouldn't be used in SR either.

I suspect one key factor here is that t'Hooft is really a quantum field theorist, not a relativist. Quantum field theorists like "ict" for the reason t'Hooft gives: it means you don't have to worry about signs any more. But quantum field theorists, practically speaking, never need to deal with curved spacetime, so SR is all they need.

Related to Minkowski Metric and Lorentz Metric

1. What is the difference between the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz metric?

The Minkowski metric is a mathematical representation of space and time in special relativity, while the Lorentz metric is a mathematical representation of space and time in general relativity. The Minkowski metric is flat and describes the geometry of special relativity, while the Lorentz metric is curved and describes the geometry of general relativity.

2. How do the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz metric differ in terms of their equations?

The Minkowski metric is given by the equation ds^2 = -c^2dt^2 + dx^2 + dy^2 + dz^2, while the Lorentz metric is given by the equation ds^2 = g_ab dx^a dx^b. The Minkowski metric uses the Minkowski spacetime interval, while the Lorentz metric uses the metric tensor g_ab.

3. What is the significance of the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz metric in physics?

The Minkowski metric is crucial in special relativity, as it allows for the calculation of proper time and the Lorentz transformation between reference frames. The Lorentz metric is essential in general relativity, as it describes the curvature of spacetime and the effects of gravity on the motion of objects.

4. Can the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz metric be applied to any type of spacetime?

Yes, both the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz metric can be applied to any type of spacetime. However, the Minkowski metric is specifically used for flat spacetime, while the Lorentz metric is used for curved spacetime.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz metric?

Yes, the Minkowski metric and the Lorentz metric have many applications in physics, including in the fields of cosmology, astrophysics, and particle physics. They are also used in the development of technologies such as GPS and in the study of black holes and other astronomical objects.