Michelson interferometer maxima

In summary, the problem is asking for the distance that mirror M2 must be moved in order for one wavelength to produce one more new maxima than the other wavelength in a Michelson interferometer using light from a sodium lamp with wavelengths of 589.0 nm and 589.6 nm. The equation to use is wavelength = 2 (delta L) / (delta m) and the solution involves setting one m value as m and the other as m+1, solving for m, and then using the equation to find the distance L. It is unclear which wavelength should be used in the equation.
pari786

Homework Statement

A Michelson interferometer uses light from a sodium lamp. Sodium atoms emit light having wavelengths 589.0 nm and 589.6 nm. The interferometer is intially set up with both arms of equal length (L1=L2) producing a bright spot at the center of the interference pattern. How far must mirror M2 be moved so that one wavelength has produced one more new maxima than the other wavelength?

Homework Equations

wavelength = 2 (delta L) / (delta m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we are looking for delta L but I don't know which wavelength and m value to use.
please somebody guide me.

Physics news on Phys.org
pari786 said:

Homework Statement

A Michelson interferometer uses light from a sodium lamp. Sodium atoms emit light having wavelengths 589.0 nm and 589.6 nm. The interferometer is intially set up with both arms of equal length (L1=L2) producing a bright spot at the center of the interference pattern. How far must mirror M2 be moved so that one wavelength has produced one more new maxima than the other wavelength?

Homework Equations

I know that we are looking for delta L but I don't know which wavelength and m value to use.

I got it how to do it :

let one of the m value be m and the other m+1...both have same L...so sub L value from one equation to the other and then solve for m..once u have m, sub in one of the equation and find L...

:confused: :zzz:

pari786 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

I got it how to do it :

let one of the m value be m and the other m+1...both have same L...so sub L value from one equation to the other and then solve for m..once u have m, sub in one of the equation and find L...

but which wavelength to use.

Related to Michelson interferometer maxima

1. What is a Michelson interferometer?

A Michelson interferometer is an optical instrument that uses interference patterns to measure tiny changes in distance. It consists of a beam splitter, two mirrors, and a detector, and is commonly used in scientific research and precision measurements.

2. What is the principle behind the Michelson interferometer?

The Michelson interferometer works on the principle of interference, where two light waves from a single source are split and recombined. When the two waves recombine, they either reinforce or cancel each other out, creating a distinct interference pattern that can be measured.

3. How does the Michelson interferometer produce maxima?

The maxima in a Michelson interferometer are produced when the path length difference between the two light beams is a multiple of the wavelength of the light. This results in constructive interference, where the waves reinforce each other and create a bright fringe on the detector.

4. What factors can affect the maxima in a Michelson interferometer?

The maxima in a Michelson interferometer can be affected by various factors such as the stability of the instrument, the wavelength of the light, and the angle of the mirrors. Any changes in these factors can alter the path length difference and therefore the interference pattern.

5. How is the Michelson interferometer used in scientific research?

The Michelson interferometer has many applications in scientific research, including measuring the speed of light, detecting small changes in distance, and studying the properties of light. It is also commonly used in fields such as astronomy, metrology, and spectroscopy.