Meiosis Problem Help: Selecting Correct Answer

• Thread starter Ester
  • Start date
In summary, meiosis is a type of cell division that occurs in sexually reproducing organisms, producing four haploid cells with one set of chromosomes each. It differs from mitosis in that it involves two rounds of division and is involved in sexual reproduction. Crossing over in meiosis allows for genetic diversity and the production of unique offspring. Meiosis ensures the proper number of chromosomes in offspring through its two rounds of division and the process of crossing over. The stages of meiosis include prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, telophase I, prophase II, metaphase II, anaphase II, and telophase II, each with specific events occurring.
Ester
Hi, I'm doing some studying before the exam and I'm not clear about a certain concept regarding the following question:

"Select the choice that is NOT true. Crossing over
A. Occurs between non-homologous chromosomes during prophase I of meiosis.
B. Occurs during prophase I of meiosis.
C. Involves only two chromatids in the bivalent(tetrad)
D. Is equal and reciprocal.
E. Cannot take place during mitosis.

Is the answer A? (because crossing over occurse between HOMOLOGOUS chromosomes during prophase I of meiosis?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you are exactly correct. :smile:

"

Yes, the correct answer is A. Crossing over occurs between homologous chromosomes during prophase I of meiosis, not non-homologous chromosomes. This is an important distinction because crossing over is a key process in meiosis that allows for genetic variation and the creation of unique offspring. It is also important to note that crossing over only occurs during prophase I of meiosis and involves the exchange of genetic material between two homologous chromosomes, also known as a bivalent or tetrad. This process is also equal and reciprocal, meaning that each chromosome involved receives the same amount of genetic material from the other. And finally, crossing over does not occur during mitosis, which is a different type of cell division. I hope this explanation helps clarify any confusion and good luck on your exam!

Related to Meiosis Problem Help: Selecting Correct Answer

1. What is meiosis and why is it important?

Meiosis is a type of cell division that occurs in sexually reproducing organisms. It involves the division of a diploid cell (containing two sets of chromosomes) into four haploid cells (containing one set of chromosomes). This process is important because it produces genetic variation and ensures the proper number of chromosomes in offspring.

2. How does meiosis differ from mitosis?

Meiosis and mitosis are both types of cell division, but they have some key differences. Meiosis involves two rounds of division, resulting in four cells with half the number of chromosomes as the original cell. Mitosis involves one round of division, resulting in two cells with the same number of chromosomes as the original cell. Additionally, meiosis is involved in sexual reproduction, while mitosis is involved in growth and repair of cells.

3. What is the purpose of crossing over in meiosis?

Crossing over, also known as genetic recombination, is the exchange of genetic material between homologous chromosomes during meiosis. This process creates new combinations of genes, increasing genetic diversity and allowing for the production of unique offspring.

4. How does meiosis ensure the proper number of chromosomes in offspring?

Meiosis involves two rounds of division, resulting in four haploid cells. This ensures that each offspring receives the correct number of chromosomes from each parent. Additionally, the process of crossing over and independent assortment during meiosis helps to further diversify the genetic makeup of offspring.

5. What are the stages of meiosis and what happens during each stage?

The stages of meiosis are prophase I, metaphase I, anaphase I, telophase I, prophase II, metaphase II, anaphase II, and telophase II. During prophase I, homologous chromosomes pair up and crossing over occurs. In metaphase I, the pairs of homologous chromosomes line up in the center of the cell. Anaphase I involves the separation of homologous chromosomes, while telophase I results in two separate cells. The second round of division, meiosis II, is similar to mitosis and results in four haploid cells with unique genetic combinations.