Measurement of grinding wheel waviness

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of collecting and analyzing data on grinding wheel profile using a laser sensor. The raw data includes information on roughness, waviness, and flaws. The goal is to filter out high and low frequency data using a band pass filter. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of accurately measuring waviness and the limitations of using lasers for this purpose. It is recommended to use traditional methods and do more research on the subject.
Anand Nambiar
I have done experiements on a grinding machine and have collected the data of grinding wheel profile (using a laser sensor). The raw data consists of info on grinding wheel profile, waviness and roughness (because of abrasive grains).
I would like to process the colelcted raw data. I want to filter out the high frequency and low frequency data. (I want to appply a simple band pass filter). Each cycle consists of about 200,000 data units and I have them in an excel file(csv data) and would like to perform digital filtering.
How do I filter out the waviness data separately and analyze, from this?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Surface texture is divided into 5 segments. Roughness, Waviness, Total profile and flaws.
Lay or " grain" of the surface.

Flaws are surface irregularities like cracks, checks, blow holes etc.…

Total profile is the profile of the surface that includes both roughness and waviness and can be measured with a dial indicator.

Only when you can scrutinize the surface and electrically filter out the short term roughness for the waviness, will you be able to determine Waviness per the ISO or ANSI Standards.

Typically the instrument is an LVDT transducer with applicable .0004” diameter radius stylus.Roughness is easily and cheaply measured as you can use a skid mount on the surface to be inspected. Waviness is a very expensive parameter to measure as you need an instrument with a very high accuracy reference datum.We are talking magnitude of measurement of sub-micron waviness.

If you are thinking about using a laser, forget it. It is not accurate enough not repeatable enough.I was a Product Manager for a major supplier of these instruments for over ten years.

Attachments

• surf text02092017.jpg
    surf text02092017.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 863
Thank you, Ranger Mike, for the reply.
But I am talking about surface texture of the grinding wheel (the tool as such) rather than the ground surface.
Will it still hold good?

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=06c822f8eb&view=fimg&th=15a115bb4e403fe6&attid=0.1&disp=emb&realattid=ii_15a1157f5f5748da&attbid=ANGjdJ9MoHBGsbSnffjz97MPHbcGO34ZKv6gzzncS13XPjS23zU2o_qSqy_dBWbreiwnttRICf4zb_lXUSzh99ONadiWIdCJuiFHSTQCPw2Lc3c0QOFOdqvLUYm8Zdw&sz=w870-h286&ats=1486685753652&rm=15a115bb4e403fe6&zw&atsh=1

↑ This is what I had in mind. The raw data that I collected also showed similar patterns.
I wish i could share my data, but I can't upload any file on this (or atleast I don't know how to!)

Anyway, each cycle is for 2 seconds and each the data shown is for 4 seconds (2 cycles and 2 seconds per rotation)

upload_2017-2-10_9-41-15.png

same principles apply to a diameter as well as flat surface. A a minimum you need to have one grinding wheel measured for the parameter with the traditional method and then you will have a base line to compare your method to actual measurement.
your laser method is not accurate enough and can not repeat to give meaningful information.

Oh! So laser measurement techniques arent trustworthy enough?

Okay, is there any other method I may use to find out the waviness? Is it so difficult that it hasnt been extensively measured until now?
I understand the need for having a master (ideal grinding wheel surface) and a deformed grinding wheel to be able to compare.
Which I have done using the laser method too (measured before and after dressing operation)

For the third time, Lasers are not good enough to do what you ask - Measure Waviness.

Lasers are not trust worth if your job depends on it to measure Waviness on a dressing wheel.

Lasers are simply amplified light. It is how you sense the light on the surface that is the variable. Lasers hate shiny surfaces, Lasers hate rough non uniform surfaces. You cannot get a repeatable signal.As far as you comment - Is it so difficult that it hasn’t been extensively measured until now?The technology to measure Waviness has been out since 1938 and is proven technology. There are even ANSI and ISO standards on this subject .

The question shows a lack of research on this subject on your part. I recommend you do some homework. Many companies sell systems to measure Waviness. Lasers have been tried since the 1960s to measure waviness and none have been successful. You may use a laser on a very precise machined surface under laboratory conditions to do some surface texture assessments but the range is very narrow and very impractical for industrial application.

Related to Measurement of grinding wheel waviness

1. What is the purpose of measuring grinding wheel waviness?

The purpose of measuring grinding wheel waviness is to ensure the quality and accuracy of the grinding process. Waviness refers to the irregularities on the surface of the grinding wheel, which can affect the surface finish of the workpiece and result in dimensional inaccuracies. By measuring and monitoring the waviness, adjustments can be made to the grinding process to improve the overall quality of the finished product.

2. How is grinding wheel waviness measured?

Grinding wheel waviness can be measured using various techniques such as contact or non-contact profilometers, surface roughness testers, or laser-based methods. These instruments measure the height and frequency of the waviness on the grinding wheel surface and provide quantitative data for analysis.

3. What factors can contribute to grinding wheel waviness?

Grinding wheel waviness can be caused by several factors, including incorrect wheel dressing, improper machine setup, excessive vibration, and uneven wear of the wheel. Poor cooling and lubrication, as well as low-quality grinding wheels, can also contribute to waviness.

4. How can the measurement of grinding wheel waviness be used to improve the grinding process?

The measurement of grinding wheel waviness can be used to identify and troubleshoot any issues with the grinding process. By analyzing the data, adjustments can be made to the machine setup, wheel dressing, or cooling and lubrication systems to reduce or eliminate waviness. This can lead to improved surface finish, dimensional accuracy, and overall quality of the finished product.

5. Is it necessary to regularly measure grinding wheel waviness?

Yes, it is important to regularly measure grinding wheel waviness to ensure the ongoing quality and accuracy of the grinding process. Waviness can change over time due to wear and tear on the grinding wheel, changes in machine conditions, or variations in the workpiece material. Regular measurements can help identify any changes and allow for adjustments to be made to maintain consistent quality in the grinding process.