Max Speed of Cart: Determine Without Losing Contact

In summary, the conversation is discussing the maximum speed of a cart at the top of a hill in the shape of an arc of a circle. The person is unsure of how to determine this maximum speed and is seeking help in solving the problem using a free body diagram, a coordinate system, and equations of motion. They mention that some physics problems can be solved through a "plug-n-chug" method of writing equations and seeing what results.
Pearce_09
max speed of cart...

A persone rides in a cart moving at a speed v at the top of a hill that is in the shape of an arc of a circle with radius r.
determine the maximum speed that the cart may travel at the top of the hill without losing contact with the surface.

How do i know that the cart leaves the surface at values of v.
what i mean, i don't know the steps or process on solving this. I am trying to think about this logically and I am getting no where..

Physics news on Phys.org
Some problems can be solved just by looking at them and using some logic. This isn't one of them. You need to create your free body diagram, choose a coordinate system (cylindrical would seem appropriate), write the equations of motion, and go from there.

You'd be surprised how many physics problems can be solved by just plug-n-chug write the equations of motion and see what you get.

Related to Max Speed of Cart: Determine Without Losing Contact

1. What is the "Max Speed of Cart" experiment all about?

The "Max Speed of Cart" experiment is a physics experiment that aims to determine the maximum speed at which a cart can be propelled without losing contact with the surface it is moving on.

2. What materials are needed for the "Max Speed of Cart" experiment?

The materials needed for this experiment include a cart, a track or surface for the cart to move on, a stopwatch or timer, and a measuring tape or ruler.

3. How is the "Max Speed of Cart" experiment conducted?

The experiment is conducted by setting up the track or surface and placing the cart at the starting point. The cart is then propelled with a constant force and the time it takes to reach the end of the track is recorded. The distance covered by the cart is also measured. This process is repeated multiple times with increasing force until the cart starts to lose contact with the surface. The maximum speed is then calculated using the recorded time and distance.

4. What factors can affect the results of the "Max Speed of Cart" experiment?

The results of the experiment can be affected by various factors such as the surface or track material, the weight and design of the cart, and the force used to propel the cart. These factors can alter the amount of friction between the cart and the surface, thus affecting the maximum speed that can be achieved without losing contact.

5. What is the importance of the "Max Speed of Cart" experiment?

The "Max Speed of Cart" experiment helps us understand the concept of friction, which is an essential factor in many real-world scenarios such as vehicle design and safety. It also allows us to calculate the maximum speed at which a cart can be safely propelled without losing contact, which can have practical applications in industries such as transportation and engineering.