Material Parameters: Heat Transfer Coeffecient & Emissivity

• Thread starter rr00053
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a heat transfer simulation problem related to silicon, silicon dioxide, and Nickel. The individual is looking for parameters such as heat transfer coefficient and emissivity for these materials, but it is noted that these values are not solely based on material properties and require more information. The conversation then delves into discussing the Nusselt number and its relation to heat transfer coefficients, and how it can be used to back calculate the convection coefficient. However, on a nano-scale, different equations and parameters may need to be used. A suggested source for further information is Ozsun et al.'s 2009 article on heat transfer at microscale.
rr00053
Hi everyone...

I am doing a heat transfer simulation problem related with silicon, silicon dioxide and Nickel... I would like to get some parametres like heat transfer coeffecient(h), emmisivity (e) etc of these materials ...has anyone got this data or can anyone suggest me a link to get these data...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Those aren't really material properties, they are more geometry and actual problem based. You'll need way more information.

hi minger
thanks for responding...so how will i get those values? is heat transfer coeffecient a geometry based function? i am actually interested in microns and nanometre scale values...

Heat is transferred by a)conduction, b)convection. and c)radiation. Is there any other way?

Yes, often times heat transfer coefficients are described in terms of the Nusselt number
[tex]Nu_l \equiv \frac{h_l l}{k}[/tex]
Where l is a characteristic length, h is the convection coefficient and k is the thermal conductivity.

Now, the Nusselt number is something that can be found either experimentally, or empirically. For example, for a cylinder in cross-flow, the Number can be:
[tex]
\bar{Nu_D} = 0.3 + \frac{0.62 Re_D^{1/2}Pr^{1/3}}{[1+(0.4/Pr)^{2/3}]^{1/4}}\left[1+ \left(\frac{Re_D}{282,000}\right)^{5/8}\right]^{4/5}
[/tex]
This is just a big function which is based on two simple non-dimensional parameters, Reynolds and Prandlt. From calculating this, one can go and back calculate the convection coefficient.

However, on nano-scale things break down. You'll have to find number/results that not only apply to your geometry, but on small scale as well. I wish you luck,

thanks minger..
so u mean to say that i can't rely on the formula which u gave nw...ok then my hard time starts nw to find on the nano scale...can you tell me what those above equations will be if my crss section is a cuboid? and lso any source to find reynolds and prandlt's parametre?

A good start might be Ozsun et al.'s, "On heat transfer at microscale with implications for microactuator design," J Micromech Microeng 19 (2009).

Related to Material Parameters: Heat Transfer Coeffecient & Emissivity

1. What is heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is a measure of how easily heat can transfer from one material to another. It is defined as the amount of heat that passes through a unit area of a material per unit time, per unit temperature difference.

2. How is heat transfer coefficient calculated?

Heat transfer coefficient is calculated using the equation Q = hA(ΔT), where Q is the heat transferred, h is the heat transfer coefficient, A is the surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference between the two materials.

3. What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient can be affected by several factors, including the properties of the two materials, such as thermal conductivity and surface roughness, the temperature difference between the materials, and the flow rate of the fluids in contact with the materials.

4. What is emissivity?

Emissivity is a measure of how well a material emits thermal radiation. It is defined as the ratio of the amount of thermal radiation emitted by a material to the amount emitted by a perfect blackbody at the same temperature.

5. How does emissivity affect heat transfer?

Emissivity plays a significant role in heat transfer as it determines how much thermal radiation is emitted or absorbed by a material. Materials with higher emissivity tend to have higher heat transfer rates as they can radiate and absorb more heat than materials with lower emissivity.