Lorentz transformations explanation?

In summary: I just wanted to make sure the concept was clear for anyone reading the conversation. In summary, the conversation discusses the Lorentz transformations and the concept of time dilation when traveling at high speeds. The evidence for this phenomenon can be found through the use of the Lorentz transformation equation. The conversation also touches on the idea of relativistic effects and how they are perceived from different frames of reference. There is also a mention of self-correction and clarification in the conversation.
guevaramartyr
sorry, I'm not particularly well versed in this field. can someone explain the lorentz transformations to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Use Google to search for "Lorentz transformation". You will get a lot of hits explaining it.

If I traveled at 75% the speed of light (.75c) for 1 hour, did one hour really pass for me? No, only .66 hours passed for me, or 39.6 minuts. I found this by uising the lorenz transformation [itex]\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/itex] The evidence is here...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=sqr(1-(.75c)^2/c^2)
The exact same goes for a decrease in length, and an increas in math exept its a factor using division for the latter.
sorry if the latex is a little off

Last edited by a moderator:
If I traveled at 75% the speed of light (.75c) for 1 hour, did one hour really pass for me? No, only .66 hours passed for me, or 39.6 minuts. I found this by uising the lorenz transformation

Wrong. You would experience the same thing you did at rest (Postulate I of SR, Galilean relativity: Every inertial frame experiences the same physics). The unmentioned frame with respect to which you have that .75c speed would see your lengths shortened and your clocks slowed.

selfAdjoint said:
Wrong. You would experience the same thing you did at rest (Postulate I of SR, Galilean relativity: Every inertial frame experiences the same physics). The unmentioned frame with respect to which you have that .75c speed would see your lengths shortened and your clocks slowed.

well that is obvious. Relativistic effects only occur from another frame of reference Even if time did slow down for you, you can't notice a difference. And it's not only clocks that slow down, its everything that time effects. I guess you just like the feeling of telling people they are wrong :smile: I think if you are going to tell people
You would experience the same thing you did at rest
you should atleast explain who does time really slow down for, it would help people understand better.

Last edited:
Lighten up, eNathan! You made a mistake (or at least made a very confusing statement); selfAdjoint just pointed it out. (It's his sworn duty as a mentor... he had no choice!)

Isn't that nice. But people here seem to criticize things that are right, wrong, and in the middle.

guevaramartyr said:
Can someone explain the lorentz transformations to me?
Yes. It's all very simple. Clock time can be conceptualized with moving rulers in such a way that the astonishing connection between space and time can be clearly understood.

http://www.everythingimportant.org/relativity/special.pdf

Last edited:
eNathan said:
Isn't that nice. But people here seem to criticize things that are right, wrong, and in the middle.

But correcting and clarifying are not "criticizing". You are the only one criticizing here.

sorry to put you all through this, but i looked it up in the encyclopedia of physics lol. thanks anyway for being supporting.

Doc Al said:
Lighten up, eNathan! You made a mistake (or at least made a very confusing statement); selfAdjoint just pointed it out. (It's his sworn duty as a mentor... he had no choice!)
I think it was pretty clear what eNathan meant from the context (i.e. if you see me travel at 0.75c for 1 hour in your frame, then in my frame the journey only lasted 0.66 hours)--selfAdjoint was just being a bit pedantic (which isn't necessarily a bad thing, even though eNathan understood it, others could have been confused I guess).

JesseM said:
I think it was pretty clear what eNathan meant from the context
I see your point. And eNathan's as well.

Related to Lorentz transformations explanation?

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are a set of equations that describe how the measurements of space and time change for an observer moving at a constant velocity relative to another observer. They are a fundamental concept in the theory of special relativity.

2. Why are Lorentz transformations important?

Lorentz transformations are important because they allow us to reconcile the differences in measurements of space and time between different observers. They also play a crucial role in many modern theories of physics, such as the Standard Model and general relativity.

3. How do Lorentz transformations work?

Lorentz transformations involve four variables: time, three spatial dimensions, and the speed of light. They use mathematical equations to convert measurements of these variables between different reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other.

4. What is the difference between Galilean transformations and Lorentz transformations?

Galilean transformations, also known as Newtonian transformations, describe the relationships between measurements of space and time for observers in inertial reference frames (frames that are not accelerating). They are based on classical mechanics and do not take into account the constancy of the speed of light. Lorentz transformations, on the other hand, are based on the principles of special relativity and account for the constancy of the speed of light.

5. How do Lorentz transformations affect our understanding of time and space?

Lorentz transformations have significantly impacted our understanding of time and space. They have led to the discovery of phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction, which have been confirmed through experiments. They have also paved the way for the understanding of important concepts in modern physics, such as the relativity of simultaneity and the concept of spacetime.