Is Changing My Major to a Science Discipline Practical?

In summary, the speaker initially thought the IT field would be the best career path, but ended up hating it. They found a passion for science classes but are unsure if switching their major to a related discipline would be practical. They are considering computer engineering and mechanical engineering as alternatives but are concerned about the level of physical activity involved.
sedna
When I started school (2-3 years ago) I thought the best field to get into would be the IT field. Few months later I get an IT job and it's "meh", then I get a better paying IT job and it is even more "meh". Long story short I cannot stand my classes and have grown to hate the IT field, hate customer service, and hate almost everything about this field (I can find nothing that I like)

I am getting tired of doing nothing; just sitting and waiting for issues to come so I actually have work to do; yes I know, I get paid to sit... Booooring!

Note: I have AS in IT

Anyways, while taking science classes I found that I have a passion for Astronomy, Geology, Physics, and Paleontology... Would it be practical switching my undergraduate major to one of these disciplines?

If not I was thinking possibly computer engineering? But then again I cannot stand not being physically active... I want a career that is hands on. So computer engineering probably isn't the best bet? What about mechanical engineering and so on?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are 2-3 years into your current major, you are almost certainly going to have to stay in school for probably 3 more years before you can get a Bachelor's degree in any of the mentioned disciplines.

Computer engineering, mechanical engineering, and even physics can be very hands-on depending on what kind of engineer/physicist you wind up as.

Related to Is Changing My Major to a Science Discipline Practical?

1. What steps should I take when considering changing my major?

When thinking about changing your major, it's important to first do some research and self-reflection. Look into the requirements for your current major and the potential major you are interested in, as well as the job market and career opportunities available. You should also consider your strengths, interests, and long-term goals. Once you have gathered this information, it's a good idea to meet with an academic advisor to discuss your options and create a plan.

2. Will changing my major delay my graduation?

It depends on how different your new major is from your current one and how many credits you have already completed. If the majors have similar requirements, you may not experience much of a delay. However, if they are very different, it may take longer to complete the necessary courses. It's best to discuss this with an academic advisor to create a plan that minimizes any potential delays.

3. Can I change my major multiple times?

Yes, it is possible to change your major more than once, but it's important to keep in mind that each change may result in additional time and coursework. It's best to carefully consider your options and make a well-informed decision before changing your major multiple times.

4. How do I know if I am making the right decision in changing my major?

Changing your major can be a big decision, so it's natural to question if it's the right choice. It's important to do your research, seek advice from academic advisors and professors, and consider your personal goals and interests. Remember that it's okay to change your major if it means pursuing a career path that truly aligns with your passions and strengths.

5. Will changing my major affect my financial aid?

It's possible that changing your major may affect your financial aid, as different majors may have different financial aid requirements. It's best to speak with a financial aid advisor to understand how your aid may be impacted and to discuss any potential options for maintaining your aid while changing your major.