Integrating any e^f(x) function

In summary, I am not sure if the equation holds for any f(x). I was testing two integrals I know off hand and found that the first one works and the second one does not. I am not entirely sure what you mean here. Could you rephrase your question?It's not a question. It's a basic statement of fact:just because ##\int e^x\,dx = e^x + C##, it does not logically follow that ##\int e^{f(x)}\,dx = e^{f(x)} + C##
Bounceback
Solve [itex]f'(x)*a(x)+a'(x)=1[/itex] For a(x)
(there's another less important question at the bottom)

Background behind equation (trying to find a function to integrate any e^f(x)):
[itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*a(x)[/itex]
[itex]e^{f(x)}=e^{f(x)}*{f'(x)}*a(x)+e^{f(x)}*a'(x)[/itex]
[itex]1=f'(x)*a(x)+a'(x)[/itex]A few of my attempts:

[itex]df(x)*a(x)+da(x)=d(x)[/itex]
[itex]\int a(x)\,df(x)+a(x)=x[/itex]
[itex]a(x)=x-\int a(x)\,df(x)[/itex]
[itex]a(x)=x-\int x-\int x-\int x ...\,df(x)\,df(x)\,df(x)[/itex]
[itex]a(x)=x-\int x\,df(x)+\iint x\,d^2f(x)-\iiint x\,d^3f(x)...[/itex]
Note, this attempt only works if f(x) is an integrable function

This method doesn't work however, since [itex]\int e^x\,dx=e^x[/itex], You know the value of a and f(x) (1 and x respectively).
Substituting into the equation, the method stops working at line 2. Assuming that this is because you can only integrate a side of an equation with respect to a single function, I tried a different method.

[itex]f'(x)*a(x)=1-a'(x)[/itex]
[itex]\int f'(x)*a(x)\,dx=\int 1-a'(x)\,dx[/itex]
[itex]\int f'(x)*a(x)\,dx=x-a(x)[/itex]
A rearranged version of line two...

Where have I gone wrong in my attempts?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bounceback said:
Solve [itex]f'(x)*a(x)+a'(x)=1[/itex] For a(x)
(there's another less important question at the bottom)

Background behind equation (trying to find a function to integrate any e^f(x)):

I'm not sure the above equation is true for any f(x).

##\int e^u\, du = e^u + C##

so if u = f(x), then du = f'(x) in order for substitution to work.

[In Latex, remember to use {} around any multi-character exponents or subscripts, to keep everything on the same line.]

SteamKing said:
I'm not sure the above equation is true for any f(x).

Just doing some testing of the two integrals I know off hand:

[itex]\int e^{x^{1/3}}\,dx=3*e^{x^{1/3}}*(2-2*x^{1/3}+x^{2/3})[/itex]
[itex]f'(x)*a(x)+a'(x)=1[/itex]
[itex](1/(x^{2/3}*3))*(3*(2-2*x^{1/3}+x^{2/3}))+(2*(x^1/3-1))/(x^{2/3})[/itex]
Which, as it happens, equals 1 (according to the calculator)

[itex]\int e^x\,dx=e^x*1[/itex]
[itex](1)*(1)+(0)=1[/itex]
Again, equals 1.

Am I misinterpreting what you are asking?

SteamKing said:
##\int e^u\, du = e^u + C##

so if u = f(x), then du = f'(x) in order for substitution to work.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Could you rephrase your question?

Bounceback said:
Just doing some testing of the two integrals I know off hand:

[itex]\int e^{x^{1/3}}\,dx=3*e^{x^{1/3}}*(2-2*x^{1/3}+x^{2/3})[/itex]
[itex](1/(x^{2/3}*3))*(3*(2-2*x^{1/3}+x^{2/3}))+(2*(x^1/3-1))/(x^{2/3})[/itex]
Which, as it happens, equals 1 (according to the calculator)

[itex]\int e^x\,dx=e^x*1[/itex]
[itex](1)*(1)+(0)=1[/itex]
Again, equals 1.

Am I misinterpreting what you are asking?
I'm not entirely sure what you mean here. Could you rephrase your question?
It's not a question. It's a basic statement of fact:

just because ##\int e^x\,dx = e^x + C##, it does not logically follow that ##\int e^{f(x)}\,dx = e^{f(x)} + C##

The latter integral is usually evaluated by u-substitution, where u = f(x) and du = f'(x) dx. If you don't have f'(x) dx somewhere in the original integral expression, you can't evaluate the integral.

For example, ##\int e^{x^2}\, dx## cannot be integrated using elementary functions, but ##\int e^{x^2} ⋅ 2x dx = e^{x^2} + C##

By using u-substitution with u = x2 = f(x), then du = 2x dx = f'(x) dx and ##\int e^{x^2} ⋅ 2x dx = \int e^u du = e^u + C = e^{x^2} + C##

SteamKing said:
It's not a question. It's a basic statement of fact:

just because ##\int e^x\,dx = e^x + C##, it does not logically follow that ##\int e^{f(x)}\,dx = e^{f(x)} + C##

Hmm, I'm not claiming that [itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)} + C[/itex]. I'm claiming that [itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*a(x) + C[/itex]

My reasoning behind this is [itex]derivative(e^{f(x)})=e^{f(x}*a(x)[/itex] Therefore the derivative of any e^(f(x)) will have a e^(f(x)) as a multiplier, and the same in the reverse for integrals. So my reasoning in the original equation is that the integral of any e^f(x) will be e^f(x) times a function of x.

Is this what you were talking about?

Bounceback said:
I'm claiming that [itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*a(x) + C[/itex]
Yes, that is quite obvious.
If ##\int e^{f(x)} dx=F(x)+c##, then clearly ##F(x)=(F(x)e^{-f(x)})e^{f(x)}##.
So just set ##a(x)=F(x)e^{-f(x)}##.

However, there is no reason to expect that ##a## will be an elementary function, even when ##f## is.

Bounceback said:
Hmm, I'm not claiming that [itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)} + C[/itex]. I'm claiming that [itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*a(x) + C[/itex]

My reasoning behind this is [itex]derivative(e^{f(x)})=e^{f(x}*a(x)[/itex] Therefore the derivative of any e^(f(x)) will have a e^(f(x)) as a multiplier, and the same in the reverse for integrals. So my reasoning in the original equation is that the integral of any e^f(x) will be e^f(x) times a function of x.

But that does not help if you cannot find that "function of x"!
Starting from [itex]e^{f(x)}a(x)+ C[/itex] and differentiating, we get [itex]e^{f(x)}f'(x)a(x)+ e^{f(x)}a'(x)[/itex] and we want that equal to [itex]e^{f(x)}[/itex]. That is, we want [itex]e^{f(x)}(f'(x)a(x)+ a'(x))= e^{f(x)}[/itex] so that [itex]f'(x)a(x)+ a'(x)= 1[/itex]. That is, we need to solve the differential [itex]a'(x)+ f'(x)a(x)= 1[/itex] for some known but general function f(x). There is no generic way to solve that equation.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bounceback said:

My reasoning behind this is [itex]derivative(e^{f(x)})=e^{f(x)}*a(x)[/itex] Therefore the derivative of any e^(f(x)) will have a e^(f(x)) as a multiplier, and the same in the reverse for integrals. So my reasoning in the original equation is that the integral of any e^f(x) will be e^f(x) times a function of x.

I cite the case of ##\int e^{x^2}\,dx = e^{x^2} * a(x) + C##, using your thesis.

As far as I know, there is no a(x) composed of elementary functions which can be found to make this statement true.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_integrals_of_exponential_functions

While it is true that if ##\frac{d}{dx} (e^{x^2}) = 2x ⋅ e^{x^2}## and you integrate both sides of this equation, you will obtain ##e^{x^2}##, but that's not the same as saying ##\int e^{x^2}\,dx = 2x ⋅ e^{x^2}##, which is not true.

Samy_A said:
However, there is no reason to expect that ##a## will be an elementary function, even when ##f## is.
SteamKing said:
As far as I know, there is no a(x) composed of elementary functions which can be found to make this statement true.

If I'm correct, an elementary function doesn't encompass an infinite series. I was intending to find something along this line for a(x).

HallsofIvy said:
That is, we need to solve the differential [itex]a'(x)+ f'(x)a(x)= 1[/itex] for some known but general function f(x). There is no generic way to solve that equation.

Ah, this answers the original question, thank you. Could you explain why this can't be solved (based on differential principles)?

My attempts (in the original question) ended up not working, could someone explain where it went wrong?

Last edited:
I didn't say it couldn't- that depends upon what f is! I just said there was no method that could be used for all f.

Upon imputing some more values into [itex]\int a(x)\,df(x)+a(x)=x[/itex] I realized that the equations are always differing by a constant -_-

Modifying the process in order to involve a constant results in:

[itex]df(x)*a(x)+da(x)=d(x)[/itex]
[itex]\int a(x)\,df(x)+a(x)=x+C[/itex]
[itex]a(x)=x+C-\int a(x)\,df(x)[/itex]
[itex]a(x)=x+C-\int x+C-\int x+C-\int x+C ...\,df(x)\,df(x)\,df(x)[/itex]
[itex]a(x)=x+C-\int x+C\,df(x)+\iint x+C\,d^2f(x)-\iiint x+C\,d^3f(x)...[/itex]

This method works for [itex]\int e^x\,dx=e^x[/itex]; I'm still stuck on getting it to work for any other integral of e^f(x)

If you could find a closed form for ##a(x)## then you'd be able to find any closed form formula for any primitive of any function, by putting ##f(x)=\ln g(x)## in your formula, but that's impossible by Louisville's theorem.

There is an integral of [itex]e^{x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\int e^x*(a(x)+a'(x))\,dx=e^x*a(x)[/itex]
[itex]S=a(x)+a'(x)[/itex]
[itex]S-S'=a(x)-a''(x)[/itex]
[itex]S-S'+S''-S'''...=a(x)\pm S'''^{...}[/itex]
Note, [itex]S'''^{...}[/itex] ends up as 0 for all S=x^constant

[itex]\int e^{\sqrt{x}}\,dx=e^{\sqrt{x}}*a(x)[/itex]
[itex]x=\sqrt{b}[/itex]
[itex]dx=\frac{1}{2*\sqrt{b}}db[/itex]
[itex]\int \frac{e^b}{2*\sqrt{b}}\,db[/itex]
[itex]S=\frac{1}{2*\sqrt{b}}[/itex]
[itex]S-S'+S''-S'''...=\frac{1}{2*\sqrt{b}}-\frac{-1}{4*\sqrt{b^3}}+\frac{3}{8*\sqrt{b^5}}...=a(x)[/itex]
[itex]S-S'+S''-S'''...=\frac{1}{2*x^1}-\frac{-1}{4*x^3}+\frac{3}{8*x^5}...=a(x)[/itex]
Therefor, [itex]\int e^{x^2}\,dx=e^{x^2}*(\frac{1}{2*x^1}-\frac{-1}{4*x^3}+\frac{3}{8*x^5}...)[/itex]
By using the equation in my first post, I'm trying to find a formula that generates a series, like the one above. The above series is diverging however, that's the reason why a(x) isn't an elementary function for e^(x^2).My current problem is trying to figure out why the series below doesn't work for any f(x) other than x (the same series in my last post).

[itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1}*\frac{d^{1-n}}{df(x)^{1-n}}*(x+C)[/itex]
Note, currently you can only work out C using [itex]\int f'(x)*a(x)\,dx+a(x)-x=C[/itex]; Otherwise you have to guess. (for f(x)=x, c=1; f(x)=x^(1/2), c=-1; f(x)=x^(1/3), c=6)

Last edited:
To understand this, you need much more mathematical tools. Specifcally, you need some abstract algebra and group theory.
Like Anama Skout mentioned, Liouville's theorem explains why it is not possible what you want to do. Today, this falls under differential Galois theory. Some reading to get you started, for real understanding you have to read the references of the wikipedia article:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liouville's_theorem_(differential_algebra)
https://www.math.bgu.ac.il/~kamenskm/lectures/diffgalois.pdfhttps://www.math.bgu.ac.il/~kamenskm/lectures/diffgalois.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
bigfooted said:
To understand this, you need much more mathematical tools. Specifcally, you need some abstract algebra and group theory.
Like Anama Skout mentioned, Liouville's theorem explains why it is not possible what you want to do. Today, this falls under differential Galois theory.

To which statement of mine are you referring to?

If you're referring to finding a(x) for [itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*a(x)[/itex]:
I'm not looking for an elementary function for a(x), I'm looking for an infinite series. The series will converge if a(x) is an elementary function, otherwise the series will diverge. I've given the integral of e^(x^2), despite it not being elementary, as an example.

If you're referring to fixing the series [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty (-1)^{n-1}*\frac{d^{1-n}}{df(x)^{1-n}}*(x+C)[/itex]:
Although this series is an infinite sum (not an elementary function); the wikipedia article says the theorem does apply for some infinite sums (presumably converging sums), so I'll continue reading if it is this that you are referring to.

As an update to this, using a different method, I've a formula for any e^f(x) (assuming that the infinith derivative of any f(x) is 0, and that f(x) is differentiable)

[itex]f(x)=b[/itex]
[itex]x=f^i(b)\ Note, f^i(f(x))=x, for\ example, if\ f(x)=x^2\ then\ f^i(x)=x^{1/2}[/itex] (Essentially the solve function)
[itex]dx=f^i{'(b)}db[/itex]
[itex]\int e^b*f^i{'(b)}\,db=e^b*a(x)[/itex]
[itex]e^b*f^i{'(b)}=e^b*a(x)+e^b*a'(x)[/itex]
[itex]f^i{'(b)}=a(x)+a'(x)[/itex]
[itex]f^i{'(b)}-f^i{''(b)}=a(x)-a''(x)[/itex]
[itex]f^i{'(b)}-f^i{''(b)}+f^i{'''(b)}...=a(x)\pm f^i{'''^{...}(b)}=a(x)[/itex]
[itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*(f^i{'(b)}-f^i{''(b)}+f^i{'''(b)}...)[/itex]
[itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*(\frac{df^i(b)}{db}-\frac{d^2f^i(b)}{db^2}+\frac{d^3f^i(b)}{db^3}...)[/itex]
[itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*(\frac{dx}{df(x)}-\frac{d^2x}{df(x)^2}+\frac{d^3x}{df(x)^3}...)[/itex]
[itex]\int e^{f(x)}\,dx=e^{f(x)}*(A-B+C-D...)[/itex]
This method only works however if f(x)=b can be solved for x (same thing as saying 'only works if f^i(b) can be found'). By taking the derivative of the last equation, a work-around can be found.
[itex]e^{f(x)}=e^{f(x)}*f'(x)*(\frac{dx}{df(x)}-\frac{d^2x}{df(x)^2}+\frac{d^3x}{df(x)^3}...)+e^{f(x)}*\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dx}{df(x)}-\frac{d^2x}{df(x)^2}+\frac{d^3x}{df(x)^3}...)[/itex]
[itex]1=1-f'(x)(\frac{d^2x}{df(x)^2}-\frac{d^3x}{df(x)^3}...)+\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dx}{df(x)}-\frac{d^2x}{df(x)^2}+\frac{d^3x}{df(x)^3}...)[/itex]
[itex]\frac{df(x)}{dx}(\frac{d^2x}{df(x)^2}-\frac{d^3x}{df(x)^3}...)=\frac{d}{dx}(\frac{dx}{df(x)}-\frac{d^2x}{df(x)^2}+\frac{d^3x}{df(x)^3}...)[/itex]
[itex]f'(x)*(B-C+D...)=A'-B'+C'...[/itex]
Assuming that {term number} of series 1 cancels with {term number} of series 2:
[itex]B=\frac{A'}{f'(x)},C=\frac{B'}{f'(x)},D=\frac{C'}{f'(x)}...[/itex], also, since [itex]f'(x)*A=1, A=\frac{1}{f'(x)}[/itex]

Last edited:

Related to Integrating any e^f(x) function

1. What is the process for integrating any ef(x) function?

The process for integrating any ef(x) function involves using the substitution method and applying the chain rule. First, substitute u = f(x) and du = f'(x)dx into the integral. Then, apply the chain rule to rewrite the integral in terms of u. Finally, integrate the new integral with respect to u and substitute back in f(x) for u to get the final answer.

2. Are there any special cases when integrating ef(x) functions?

Yes, there are a few special cases when integrating ef(x) functions. One case is when the exponent f(x) is a constant, in which case the integral simplifies to ef(x)x + C. Another case is when f(x) is a linear function, in which case the integral can be solved using integration by parts.

3. Can I use any integration method to integrate ef(x) functions?

No, not all integration methods can be applied to integrate ef(x) functions. The substitution method and integration by parts are the most commonly used methods for these types of integrals. Other methods, such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitutions, may not always be applicable.

4. How do I know when to use the substitution method or integration by parts for ef(x) integrals?

It is important to carefully analyze the integral and determine which method would be most appropriate. Generally, the substitution method is used when the exponent f(x) is a simple function (e.g. a linear or quadratic function), while integration by parts is used when the exponent f(x) is a more complicated function (e.g. a trigonometric or logarithmic function).

5. Can I use a calculator to integrate ef(x) functions?

Some advanced calculators may have the capability to integrate ef(x) functions, but it is always recommended to understand and be able to perform the integration by hand. Additionally, many ef(x) integrals can be solved using basic integration rules, so a calculator may not always be necessary.