Integrals Explained: What Does t and dt Mean?

• Thread starter xeon123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: The "dx" is just a notation. It doesn't mean anything. It's just used to denote which variable we integrate.
xeon123
I've this example of an integral.

[itex]\int^{x}_{a} f(t)dt[/itex]

What t and dt means? Is there a relation between t and dt?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are talking about an integral I assume you have some idea of what an integral is, either taking a course in Calculus or are reading a book on Calculus.

Every textbook I have seen introduces the integral in terms of the Riemann sum in which you divide an area under the graph of y=f(x) into very thin rectangles- each having base [itex]\Delta x[/itex] and height [itex]f(x_i^*)[/itex] for [itex]x_i^*[/itex] being some x value within the base of the ith rectangle. The approximate area would be the sum of the areas of those rectangles: [itex]\sum f(x_i^*)\Delta x[/itex]. One can show that the exact area is the limit of that as the base of those rectangles goes to 0. Then in the form [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] or [itex]\int f(t)dt[/itex] x and t are the independent variables in the functions f(x) and f(t), the limits of [itex]f(x_i^*)[/itex] and [itex]f(t_i^*)[/itex], and dx and dt are "infinitesmal" sections of the axis.

So what's the purpose of having dx in the expression? If I'm correct, dx means the derivative of x. And, in each point of x in the interval [itex]\Delta x[/itex], x will be a fixed value (is it a constant?), and the derivative of a constant is always 0.

The "dx" is just a notation. It doesn't mean anything. It's just used to denote which variable we integrate.

For example

[tex]\int_0^1 (t+x)dx[/tex]

means that we integrate with respect to x. While

[tex]\int_0^1 (t+x)dt[/tex]

means that we integrate with respect to t.

As far as I understand, in the first case we will only integrate x, and in the second case, t.

So, being f a function, f=(t+x)

In the first case, what happens to x? Can you integrate this example, please?

With the integral

[tex]\int (t+x)dx[/tex]

we have that t is a constant and x is the integration variable, so

[tex]\int (t+x)dx = tx+\frac{x^2}{2}+C[/tex]

While in

[tex]\int (t+x)dt[/tex]

we treat x as a constant. Thus

[tex]\int (t+x)dx = \frac{t^2}{2}+tx+C[/tex]

Thanks, now I got it.

I wrote some notes on integration, they should be available on the Math & Science Learning Materials section under notes on integration.

Related to Integrals Explained: What Does t and dt Mean?

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is used to find the total value of a function over a certain interval.

2. What do 't' and 'dt' mean in integrals?

In integrals, 't' and 'dt' are variables that represent the independent variable and the differential of that variable, respectively. They are used to define the limits of integration and indicate which variable is being integrated.

3. How do you solve integrals?

Integrals can be solved using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, and trigonometric substitution. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the integrand.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not have any limits. A definite integral gives a numerical value, while an indefinite integral gives a general expression that can be evaluated for specific values.

5. Why are integrals important in science?

Integrals are important in science because they are used to calculate important physical quantities such as displacement, velocity, acceleration, and work. They also play a crucial role in many mathematical models and equations used in various scientific fields.